Fred Jackson news

K-Gun10

Jackson in line for multi-year deal?

By Chris Brown - Posted January 21st, 2009

Buffalobills.com reported earlier this month that Fred Jackson would be open to a contract extension despite being just an exclusive rights free agent. According to the Cedar Rapids Gazette, who spoke with Jackson more recently, the Bills are apparently on the same page with the versatile back.

Jackson told the Iowa paper that covered his college career the following.

“It’s just the business of the game,” Jackson said. “I’ve got to negotiate a contract coming up, so we’ll see what happens with that. I’m pretty sure I’ll be back in Buffalo. We’ve talked to them already. They want to do some things to kind of keep me there, and I want to be there.”

Jackson was one of the bright spots for Buffalo’s offense in 2008 and indicated to Buffalobills.com that his role may increase further in 2009, which would make a long term deal the logical next step. Jackson is very popular among Bills fans so hopefully such an agreement can be reached this offseason.

Tags: Fred Jackson

Fred is just entering his prime as a RB. We definitely need to keep the guy, for insurance if anything else. Could he start elsewhere? There's a few that I think he would start for possibly, but it's not like he would take over anywhere he went. Lynch has proved that he's our STARTING RB by his play on the field. Jackson has proved that he's a RELIABLE BACKUP, but that doesn't mean he's not a key contributor. I think he'll get a 4 year $13 million dollar contract with 6 gauranteed. I also think that there will be performance escalators in the contract that will make it worth possibly $16-$18 million.

Well, that makes a big difference, then. Apologies to Fignon.

Thanks, Cincy.

Glad to hear the Bills are talking to him about a multi-year deal, instead of just slapping the minimum on him.

But, that leaves a question: If the Bills wanted him to sign an underpriced multi-year deal, could Jackson opt for the minimum for one year?

In this game, running backs age just a wee bit faster than QBs.

When they play, and take punishment, that is true. I'd say that Fred's body is pretty fresh, for his age. (So, to speak, of course. :worthy: )

The Bills wish....

I read somewhere we can tender him this year for 1.x million. In 2010 Because of the uncapped year, he becomes an Exclusive rights free agent of some sort, so we still hold the bargaining power over him for the next two years. He'll be 29 after that process, an old workhorse by most standards and may be banged up. We can sell him the take the money now approach.

Well, that makes a big difference, then. Apologies to Fignon.

Thanks, Cincy.

Glad to hear the Bills are talking to him about a multi-year deal, instead of just slapping the minimum on him.

But, that leaves a question: If the Bills wanted him to sign an underpriced multi-year deal, could Jackson opt for the minimum for one year?

My guess is that they will sweeten a new contract beyond the union-mandated tender. They would be nuts beyond belief not to reward the man's performance.

That's the ethical thing to do. The selfish aspect is to put good money his way now in the hope that when he can bolt, he has warm feelings about being compensated adequately this coming season.

Union contract or not, it behooves a business to find ways to recognize employees that go above and beyond. I had a 1st shift young union fellow that was troubled by a possible critical process system failure in the paint shop. He came back at 2 AM and implored the Maintenance dept. bosses to take action. He was right in his suspicion.

He saved the day - his avoiding of down time, what with fixed costs, taxation, royalty payments on tooling, minimum 4 hours' pay for the workforce, saved us beau coup bucks. Auto assembly plant downtime runs about 10K per minute.

My proposal to the Plant Manager went down without hesitation - we gave the kid the free use of a top luxury company car for a year.

My guess is that they will sweeten a new contract beyond the union-mandated tender. They would be nuts beyond belief not to reward the man's performance.

That's the ethical thing to do. The selfish aspect is to put good money his way now in the hope that when he can bolt, he has warm feelings about being compensated adequately this coming season.

Union contract or not, it behooves a business to find ways to recognize employees that go above and beyond. I had a 1st shift young union fellow that was troubled by a possible critical process system failure in the paint shop. He came back at 2 AM and implored the Maintenance dept. bosses to take action. He was right in his suspicion.

He saved the day - his avoiding of down time, what with fixed costs, taxation, royalty payments on tooling, minimum 4 hours' pay for the workforce, saved us beau coup bucks. Auto assembly plant downtime runs about 10K per minute.

My proposal to the Plant Manager went down without hesitation - we gave the kid the free use of a top luxury company car for a year.

Ralph Wilson's 2007 Ford Taurus souped up with power windows/locks, and cruise control? :worthy: