I am sooo glad I don't live in a major US city

I like the Tadich Grill a lot. The food isn't outstanding...but it is good, and the place is pretty cool. Bix is good, but I think it is better for cocktails than it is for food...still, a good choice. I never ate at the Cornelian, and when I ate at the Cliff House, many many years ago, it kinda sucked. I'm not surprised that the Mark had a good brunch, but I never had it.

Aqua was one of my ex-girlfriend's favorite restaurants. I thought it was more style, than substance....and overpriced.

While I haven't been there in many many years, one of my favorite restaurants anywhere is a Vietnamese restaurant, Thanh Long. Very pricey, but worth every penny. Sometimes I would bring my own wine, to help cut the cost. (Actually, it really didn't cut the cost, I just got to drink much better wine for the same $$.) It's way out of the way, but if you ever get a chance, I highly recommend the Crab and Tiger Prawns/garlic noodles:

http://www.anfamily.com/Restaurants/thanhl...s/homepage.html

If I get back out there, I will try your recommendation.

Tadich was my favorite, that long counter was great if you were there alone and ended up having random conversations.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a place on the west side, W58 and 10th Ave, called the Greek Kitchen. The food is so good...I actually still carry the business card with me. I hope they're still open, I'll be in NYC in April and would love to pay them a visit.

Haven't been there, but Metropolitan Grill in your city, Seattle, is just a terrific restaurant.

It's means you're more likely to die in a major city from a terrorist blast or chemical strike then in the country. Especially now because there is no War on Terror and we have replaced "fear with hope" or some BS like that.

Not to rain on your irrational fear-mongering parade, but...

So how do these common risks compare to your risk of dying in a terrorist attack? To try to calculate those odds realistically, Michael Rothschild, a former business professor at the University of Wisconsin, worked out a couple of plausible scenarios. For example, he figured that if terrorists were to destroy entirely one of America's 40,000 shopping malls per week, your chances of being there at the wrong time would be about one in one million or more. Rothschild also estimated that if terrorists hijacked and crashed one of America's 18,000 commercial flights per week that your chance of being on the crashed plane would be one in 135,000.

Even if terrorists were able to pull off one attack per year on the scale of the 9/11 atrocity, that would mean your one-year risk would be one in 100,000 and your lifetime risk would be about one in 1300. (300,000,000 ÷ 3,000 = 100,000 ÷ 78 years = 1282) In other words, your risk of dying in a plausible terrorist attack is much lower than your risk of dying in a car accident, by walking across the street, by drowning, in a fire, by falling, or by being murdered.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/36765.html

It's disturbing how little critical thought naturally occurs in the human brain.

Haven't been there, but Metropolitan Grill in your city, Seattle, is just a terrific restaurant.

Yes - oddly I haven't been there maybe because it's so famous, and of course the "celebs" go there.

Gaucho's is a place everyone raves over. Union Street Grill (I think it's "Grill") at 6th and Union is also good.

You can't really get good Mexican or BBQ here though. I have a smoker so I do my own BBQ but I do miss the Tex-Mex.

Yes - oddly I haven't been there maybe because it's so famous, and of course the "celebs" go there.

Gaucho's is a place everyone raves over. Union Street Grill (I think it's "Grill") at 6th and Union is also good.

You can't really get good Mexican or BBQ here though. I have a smoker so I do my own BBQ but I do miss the Tex-Mex.

Didn't even know that regarding "celebs". I was with 3 other guys in Seattle for a conference, it was the place the concierge recommended. We loved it. The Seahawks were actually doing a charity fundraiser there the night we showed up. Ordering off a special menu (never saw or had a bone-in filet before, terrific), we also participated in a silent auction etc. Mack Strong was our waiter. Good food and a real nice atmosphere.

Gotta throw in my hat for the homer eateries. SF may have top echelon dining, but considering the number of restaurants/sq mile in NY, it's hard to beat - as the criteria is best restaurants.

And Deano, the good restaurants will get a chance to rise over the next year, as expense accounts barely exist on this island anymore.

Let me ask you a question. Can you drive an hour north of NYC and hit world class wine regions like Napa and Sonoma? Score two for SF.

Even the cheap wine here in NorCal wins awards. A chain of supermarkets sells "Two Buck Chuck" - has the name Charles Shaw. In a statewide blind taste test one of the whites won first place!

Even the cheap wine here in NorCal wins awards. A chain of supermarkets sells "Two Buck Chuck" - has the name Charles Shaw. In a statewide blind taste test one of the whites won first place!

We did a blind taste test of beer lovers in the fraternity I was in. We had fine beers such as Milwaukee's Best (Beast), Bud Light, Schaeffer's Lite and some other crappy beer. Mind you, this was keg stuff, but no one got all of them right. The funny ones were where they said the same name twice for the four samples. Good times.

You can get terrific wine, for a very minimal amount of money. The problem with Shaw's wines are, they are completely different, from batch to batch. So, while a Sauvignon Blanc may be rated fairly high, or win awards, the one you buy in the supermarket might suck.

Let me ask you a question. Can you drive an hour north of NYC and hit world class wine regions like Napa and Sonoma? Score two for SF.

I live 10 minutes from Chateau Ste Michelle...Columbia Winery...and several others. Not quite yet on par with Napa and Sonoma but...catching up.

Why drive one hour, when that same wine is available in the liquor store on every other block? Besides, who wants to drive if the goal is to hit a winery?

Score three for NYC.

Gotta throw in my hat for the homer eateries. SF may have top echelon dining, but considering the number of restaurants/sq mile in NY, it's hard to beat - as the criteria is best restaurants.

And Deano, the good restaurants will get a chance to rise over the next year, as expense accounts barely exist on this island anymore.

I can't say anything about SanFran's food, but in NY, it is nice not to have to think about where you want to go eat. There are so many good places, it just sort of happens. I'm only there for quick trips, but my Italiano bretheren always have a great place in store for me. In Buffalo I need to drive 15 minutes to get goodies like Tripe, or Sweetbreads, or goat if I'm lucky. I don't need fu-fu....I just want authentic, and easy.

Why drive one hour, when that same wine is available in the liquor store on every other block? Besides, who wants to drive if the goal is to hit a winery?

Score three for NYC.

Actually, NYC loses that battle BIG TIME. The wine is more expensive in NYC and is harder to come by. San Francisco sells wine, and liquor, in nearly every corner store and Supermarket. In fact, you can go to the corner bodega, or Safeway, at 9AM on Sunday, and buy beer, wine AND booze..and put it all on just about any credit card...try that at the local bodega or D'Agostino in NYC. And, even the local bodega in SF often has a wine selection that puts the AVERAGE NYC liquor store to shame.

NYC has some terrific liquor and wine shops, but like most things in NYC, there are a lot of garbage outlets, as well.

But, I think Chef was really taking about Wine Country...not just wineries. Napa and Sonoma are world class destinations for wine and food. Eastern Long Island has some decent, wineries and restaurants, but there is hardly an even comparison between the two regions.

I would not go as far as to build a bunker but you should prepare yourself for a terrorist attach and the possibility of temporary break down in law and order depending on how large the attack is. Stock up on dry foods, water and water purification, fuel ect…and oh YES gets your guns now before Obama and the Dems make it imposable to obtain through over regulations like ammunition serialization.

To celebrate the inauguration I went out and bought myself another gun, a Yugoslavian SKS M59/66 with a NATO 22mm grenade launcher and folding bayonet and a can of 7.62x39. Too late!

I would not go as far as to build a bunker but you should prepare yourself for a terrorist attach and the possibility of temporary break down in law and order depending on how large the attack is. Stock up on dry foods, water and water purification, fuel ect…and oh YES gets your guns now before Obama and the Dems make it imposable to obtain through over regulations like ammunition serialization.

To celebrate the inauguration I went out and bought myself another gun, a Yugoslavian SKS M59/66 with a NATO 22mm grenade launcher and folding bayonet and a can of 7.62x39. Too late!

:lol: