Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

http://tv.ign.com/articles/999/999005p1.html

An extra hour has been added to next season!

Lost: Complete Seasons 1-5 on BD (pre-order) $170

Sweet Deal!!!!!

Nice. Don't think anyone will turn down another hour... and to think that probably right now they're working on rough scripts. I believe filming has historically started in August/Sept. for the January start. If I hadn't gotten the DVDs before that would be tempting now. Combined that's less coin for them all in Blu-Rays than the regular DVDs as/when they came out. Will probably get S5 in BD (we've had it for half a year now and I still haven't seen a BD in the thing to test it out).

-----

I am now thru S3 in the re-watching. A couple of things to note:

1. Locke told Eko that he saw the monster as a bright, white light. I assume he was speaking about the time he was hunting boar. I wonder if that has anything to do with how the finale faded to white. Could there be two monsters, or rather, could the monster serve two different controllers' interests?

2. The Others seem to still be getting Dharma food even after the Purge, when Dharma had to have known something wasn't right. And the drops would indicate they know right where the island is. Why didn't the food drops stop? I have my own theory about this. It's that the Others are exactly the thing Dharma wanted to happen all along, and it has a lot to do with Daniel Faraday. Let's think here. The Others knew the past and they apparently know the future --- they were building the runway in the precise spot for Ajira to land. They know everything that's going to happen... they just need to act it all out, play the part, and make it happen to fulfill the universe's course of events. I think Juliet is still working in this manner; she may have had feelings for Sawyer, but she was/is on her own 'long con' mission.

3. Originally I thought it was just Ben being Ben that he took Locke to Jacob's cabin and Locke saw the MIB. What I think now is that the Others knew all along that Locke would be the MIB. Note the details. They'd been testing Locke since he was a boy, but it wasn't to determine if he was the next Other leader. It was to determine if he was the MIB.

The more I watch again, the more I think MIB has been deep-seated in Locke since birth. All the evidence goes into a collective, how Locke carries himself, the things that nobody else would cope with in order for MIB to preserve the loophole. How he often talks about things that happened so long ago --- e.g. Michelangelo --- that MIB might have been more familiar with from his own mortal life.

And another thing. Could the MIB also be named 'Jacob'? I think there's a distinct reason they withheld his name.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a site called "LOST Spoilers" that's a good read during the hiatus. Right now they're posting some clips and snips of Cuse and Lindelof, and what some of the actors are saying.

One interesting tidbit:

Anyhow - there was a signing after and all I had on me was a copy of 'Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince' that i'm trying to read before the movie comes out. Carlton & Damon said during the Q&A that JK Rowling's brave announcement that they'll only be 7 Harry Potter books inspired them to make LOST just 6 seasons long. They both signed my book and after a read what Damon wrote inside: ''Locke is VERY similar to Snape!'' Shock! LOL

And a Michael Emerson (Ben) snip:

"I don't think Lost will have a happy ending," he confessed to us at the Saturn Awards. "It's the end and I think we are going to start seeing more casualties. I would put money on major characters being killed. I believe it will be a sad ending to the show -- or at least bittersweet. I think it will definitely be a series finale for grownups."

You know, I was just thinking a moment the other day (I know. I shouldn't do that). In terms of the whole "LOST is a game" theory.... The title of the series is 'Lost,' not 'Won.' Just something to think about.

Guess Hurley will die then.....

hes probably the only character that would make me sad if he got offed....

Hurley is safe. 100%.

Nice to see you, Tgreg. We've really missed your input here. Are you still LOST-pure? <_<

In the comparison that Lindelof made, if Locke = Snape, then Hurley = Harry Potter.

I believe that JKR said that she originally planned to have Ron die; and she only finally changed her mind during the writing of the final book. Continuing the analogy, Charlie = Ron. Watching "Through the Looking Glass" still gets me. Charlie was/is such a great character.

Another thought I've been having recently, regarding the energy/electromagnetism, the voices, etc. And I got around to it, what is the electromagnetism inherent on the island (and presumably at other spots around the world, according to Issac, the healer who Rose went to)?

Well, first, let me expound.... We are energy. Our bodies are electric (thank you, Walt Whitman, ye knew not how right you were) from our heartbeats to the +s and -s of the sodium-potassium pump that basically charges all of our cells. Our neurons fire electrical messages to our brains.

Reading what some of the whispers were (thanks for that link DrDank), some of them said "sis" in the ones with Shannon after Boone had died. It's like the energy of the dead is still there, it's flowing. In the 'LOST is a Game' theory, it could be like... the players who've finished their game still being able to watch and act on the current players --- kind of like how in LIFE after you finish and their are still players playing, you can still spin the wheel --- I believe they call it playing the lottery.

Anyway, think of it... Ghosthunters in the real world use EMF equipment to detect ghosts. The wellspring of the electromagnetic energy in the Swan could come from those who've died on the island (or it could be a larger group than that) and are still present in an undercurrent beneath the surface.

Run this by Miles' gift. He can somehow read the electromagnetic energy of the dead to communicate with them. Hurley, among others, can see the electromagnetic energy take form. Locke/Locke's body was a receptor of the electromagnetic energy of the MIB. It might also help explain Richard, and even Jacob, living so long, the extraordinary healing powers, etc. It is pure energy healing them (especially, it seems, for Locke) and keeping them alive, up to a certain threshold. Dead is dead, as Ben said, but then again, dead does not mean the end of the game or the end of energy.

I've been thinking about this for a while now, stringing together some deeply philosophical ideas I've had for a long time after taking chemistry, biology/botany, and throwing in some Shakespeare, Vonnegut, Asimov and Kafka.... and finally decided to share b/c more and more it addresses the most basic property of the island --- its energy. Lindelof a while ago said that there will be some things we never find out about the island, but that some of the questions people often ask are almost self-same to things that aren't given answers in other works. As he made the case, no one really asks What is the nature of the Force in Star Wars? It just is; perhaps a real explanation isn't even possible. You just have to take some things as they're presented.

great post (as always) james!

i really like that energy theory. also, it always seemed like people died on the island right after they became "complete" or changed their ways and found some perspective in life. it seemed like right after they made peace, they were gone/killed/taken (other than Rose and Bernard i guess, but they've always been at peace there). could it be their game was ending? or could it be that smokey (aka Man in Black) killed, for example, Eko because he saw that Eko had become "good", and if left on the island would prove Jacob right?

Lucas nearly ruined the Force completely by trying to come up with some bush league reasoning behind it (stupid midichlorians). if they want to leave some points up for discussion, fine by me. thats my favorite part of the show!

Nice to see you, Tgreg. We've really missed your input here. Are you still LOST-pure? :lol:

In the comparison that Lindelof made, if Locke = Snape, then Hurley = Harry Potter.

I believe that JKR said that she originally planned to have Ron die; and she only finally changed her mind during the writing of the final book. Continuing the analogy, Charlie = Ron. Watching "Through the Looking Glass" still gets me. Charlie was/is such a great character.

Another thought I've been having recently, regarding the energy/electromagnetism, the voices, etc. And I got around to it, what is the electromagnetism inherent on the island (and presumably at other spots around the world, according to Issac, the healer who Rose went to)?

Well, first, let me expound.... We are energy. Our bodies are electric (thank you, Walt Whitman, ye knew not how right you were) from our heartbeats to the +s and -s of the sodium-potassium pump that basically charges all of our cells. Our neurons fire electrical messages to our brains.

Reading what some of the whispers were (thanks for that link DrDank), some of them said "sis" in the ones with Shannon after Boone had died. It's like the energy of the dead is still there, it's flowing. In the 'LOST is a Game' theory, it could be like... the players who've finished their game still being able to watch and act on the current players --- kind of like how in LIFE after you finish and their are still players playing, you can still spin the wheel --- I believe they call it playing the lottery.

Anyway, think of it... Ghosthunters in the real world use EMF equipment to detect ghosts. The wellspring of the electromagnetic energy in the Swan could come from those who've died on the island (or it could be a larger group than that) and are still present in an undercurrent beneath the surface.

Run this by Miles' gift. He can somehow read the electromagnetic energy of the dead to communicate with them. Hurley, among others, can see the electromagnetic energy take form. Locke/Locke's body was a receptor of the electromagnetic energy of the MIB. It might also help explain Richard, and even Jacob, living so long, the extraordinary healing powers, etc. It is pure energy healing them (especially, it seems, for Locke) and keeping them alive, up to a certain threshold. Dead is dead, as Ben said, but then again, dead does not mean the end of the game or the end of energy.

I've been thinking about this for a while now, stringing together some deeply philosophical ideas I've had for a long time after taking chemistry, biology/botany, and throwing in some Shakespeare, Vonnegut, Asimov and Kafka.... and finally decided to share b/c more and more it addresses the most basic property of the island --- its energy. Lindelof a while ago said that there will be some things we never find out about the island, but that some of the questions people often ask are almost self-same to things that aren't given answers in other works. As he made the case, no one really asks What is the nature of the Force in Star Wars? It just is; perhaps a real explanation isn't even possible. You just have to take some things as they're presented.

Thanks! I'm slowly getting my life back after a long, long, long shoot for a new show I'm working on ... I'm still somewhat of a virgin when it comes to LOST. I don't know the ending (at all -- as of last week when I was there there are still only 5 people on the planet who know the final three scenes). I do know more than I'd like in some regards just from the boring business aspects of it. The rest I'm guessing based on having worked for those guys for awhile and my spattering of conversations w DL.

As for Hurley, I shouldn't say 100% since I admitedly don't know the ending; but I think of all the characters he's the one safe one simply because he's so pure (as a character) that killing him off will make the show take such a dark turn that it can't recover from with only 1 season left to go. Just from a writing perspective, I can't see it happening.

I'll also say that Michael Emerson is probably right in some regards that it will be a finale for grown ups -- but I do think there will be a happier ending than he is predicting. In fact, I'm willing to bet that it's going to be a pretty uplifting ending in more ways than one. I can't say why I feel this way without giving away one (potential) spoiler, but I'm 99% sure on that one.

As for the rest of your post ... It's great. I think there's a lot of truth in there ... I'm certain there will still be some things that are unanswered when the show wraps up (the coolest part of this show has always been how it leaves so much open to interpretation and debate and discussion -- so I can't imagine they're going to neatly fit everything into a box). But I know that the biggest of the questions will be answered (or at least answered as best they can be).

• 2 weeks later...

According to some LOST websites I frequent, and the Comic Con panel, it seems that Richard is going to be a major character in the last season.

The actor has apparently moved his family to Hawaii and will be in 16/18 episodes. The Comic Con panel, I believe, said he will even get a backstory!!

This is what I've been waiting for for probably 3 seasons!!

According to some LOST websites I frequent, and the Comic Con panel, it seems that Richard is going to be a major character in the last season.

The actor has apparently moved his family to Hawaii and will be in 16/18 episodes. The Comic Con panel, I believe, said he will even get a backstory!!

This is what I've been waiting for for probably 3 seasons!!

There was quite a bit of info/hints released at Comic Con, as usual.

A lot of it hinted that whatever happened with the bomb basically was like hitting the reset button. The 815 crash didn't happen. An Oceanic ad claimed they've had "a perfect safety record" for 30 years since it started in 1979. A Mr. Clucks ad with Hurley was shown featuring a chicken recipe he dreamed up while in Australia. ... A number of characters who have been killed off previously will be making appearances. What all of this means is open to interpretation.

And yes, Richard Alpert is going to be a series regular in this last season. As for his backstory, DL said that the Black Rock is "involved." Well, I think we all guessed that when he was building the ship in the bottle at the start of the finale.

In other news, I believe LOST was nominated for 5 Emmy awards, including Best Drama. There is stiff competition there, tho, so who knows about the chances.... I also think S5 was a little too... too... involved with time-travel stuff to be extremely popular. All I can say is the others are critically acclaimed b/c I don't watch them.

There was quite a bit of info/hints released at Comic Con, as usual.

A lot of it hinted that whatever happened with the bomb basically was like hitting the reset button. The 815 crash didn't happen. An Oceanic ad claimed they've had "a perfect safety record" for 30 years since it started in 1979. A Mr. Clucks ad with Hurley was shown featuring a chicken recipe he dreamed up while in Australia. ... A number of characters who have been killed off previously will be making appearances. What all of this means is open to interpretation.

And yes, Richard Alpert is going to be a series regular in this last season. As for his backstory, DL said that the Black Rock is "involved." Well, I think we all guessed that when he was building the ship in the bottle at the start of the finale.

In other news, I believe LOST was nominated for 5 Emmy awards, including Best Drama. There is stiff competition there, tho, so who knows about the chances.... I also think S5 was a little too... too... involved with time-travel stuff to be extremely popular. All I can say is the others are critically acclaimed b/c I don't watch them.

Mad Men racked up a lot of nominations, I just wish Lost would get more recognition in awards.

Hello all!

Good to see some off-season discussion going on here...I miss the heck out of the show and my personal life definitely does not permit the watching of old eps. I have to rely on your guys to extract clues and goodies. :wallbash:

I've watched the beginning of the S5 finale a number of times and it just fascinates me. The tete-a-tete between Jacob and MIB is absolutely great viewing and classic Lost. In just a few sentences, so much is said (and unsaid).

My signature alludes to my feeling that Hurley is the key to it all. While he might not be all that, I do think that his "purity" (as tgreg pointed out) is very very important here. I can't think of anything "bad" that he's done, and in fact, perhaps Jacob said it best in the cab when he said that Hugo was "blessed." More meaning to that than even what Jacob explained. Hugo has been the victim in this show so often that it's almost as if he's been making sacrifices from the start. And all the while he has been essentially the main font of goodness and sincerity throughout.

Damn I love this show! :lol:

Anyone see this yet? Hmmm...

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index?pn=index

Can't comment as the ABC player on my dinosaur sh--box computer does all the trappings and then never plays video.

Also, forgot to include before that DL confirmed that we will find out about the food drop in S6.

But I was watching the S4 Finale ("There's No Place Like Home Pt. 2") and some things have stuck in my craw... these may go along with my earlier long-ish post above. I don't know, I'm working it out as I type.

Just have some thoughts about the Orchid station. All of the build-up with the machines etc. was an attempt to modulate or control space / time travel. We could surmise that Dharma sent a polar bear backward in time, based on the archeological site (or perhaps it was the Others, as Tom seemed to have knowledge of the polar bears). We know Dharma sent a bunny slightly into the future during the orientation film. What of the Others' possible experimentation with it after they controlled the island? I mean, Ben seemed to know exactly how to run it.

Did either group ever send people? It's in my musings of this question that may have something to do with Jacob / MIB, the reasons why some people know/seem to know the future, especially as to whether they can die/whether the island will "allow" them to die / being "island dead."

It is my estimation that both groups have sent people backward and forward. This seems probable just b/c it would bring so much to the show. It also seems probable in regard to Eloise Hawking vis-a-vis her statement that "for the first time in a long time [she doesn't] know what happens next." Was Des in the hospital may have been where she had to travel back in time, or as much info as communication with her future self allowed. How would a future self (the time travel resulted in a clone of the bunny) contact a past self? Perhaps as the island shifts in time? The workings of the Orchid aren't something we totally understand yet, nor are the results of any human experimentation by either Dharma or the Others.

I'm wondering whether Jacob, MIB and Richard went into the future at some point via the Orchid. The island preserves them so they will be around to fulfill that future. Likewise, Ben and Widmore know they will be alive at some future set point. Tom knew that Michael would have to be alive for a future point, no matter how he tried to kill himself. Keeping them alive unnaturally long for this purpose is the "course correction" --- it's something that needs to happen, so it does. And so, everything that has been done have been steps toward a future that is known e.g. the Others clearing the runway for Ajira. This may roll into my (admittedly, I don't know how accurate it is b/c we don't have good viewing angles (you've gotta think this was for a purpose) above theory theory that Jacob might be Adam Rutherford ... or thinking about it now... that Adam Rutherford might be the future-sent clone of Jacob.

Another small note is that Danielf Faraday's notebook shows the Orchid logo with one continuous stem (in the circles around it). The actual logo has the flower stem disconnected at the center from the outer stem that wraps around. What does this mean, I dunno. Could just be a logo.

Am I making any kind of sense here? You know, I pushed the Orchid to the back of my thoughts pretty quickly. But right now, I've gotta say that Ben pushing the donkey wheel is --- to this point --- my favorite scene of this series. The role of Ben is just so great (and to think that Ben Linus was a late write-in, not conceived at the outset) and Michael Emerson plays him so well.

just saw THIS posted somewhere...

If you’ve seen the first installment of Mysteries of the Universe: The Dharma Initiative - Lost’s online series dedicated to the initiative - over the weekend, then you can watch out for the other four parts. ABC has announced that installments two to five will hit the web on August 4, September 8, October 15 and November 16.

oh yeah, as always, great post James. lot to think about... only thing i dont really agree with is the Jacob/Adam Rutherford connection. but who knows? :pirate:

Man, I really like this show, but those clips got me wondering if that will cost me in the long run. Some of those people remind me of the Star Wars geeks, and we know what happens then..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugk37TvIR8E

This is just one of the funniest things ever

Man, I really like this show, but those clips got me wondering if that will cost me in the long run. Some of those people remind me of the Star Wars geeks, and we know what happens then..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugk37TvIR8E

This is just one of the funniest things ever

you know, its funny you mention that. i had a whole post typed our (then deleted) regarding if LOST could become the "next" Star Wars or Star Trek. Where a whole other universe of a story gets created and followed for years to come...

im pretty sure the fan base is there. and theyre mostly the same people that follow the other Sci-fi worlds.

if the producers set up enough storylines, and leave just enough unanswered to keep us guessing and talking, it could very well happen.

you know, its funny you mention that. i had a whole post typed our (then deleted) regarding if LOST could become the "next" Star Wars or Star Trek. Where a whole other universe of a story gets created and followed for years to come...

im pretty sure the fan base is there. and theyre mostly the same people that follow the other Sci-fi worlds.

if the producers set up enough storylines, and leave just enough unanswered to keep us guessing and talking, it could very well happen.

I think there is no doubt there will be some sort of continuation/spin off once the main series is done.