Griff28

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

care to make a wager on that one? <_<

Midway through 1997, we lost both starting ILBs in one week to injury...both Spielman and Covington. They made a switch during the week to a 4-3 making John Holocek the starting MLB and inserting Sean Moran in at DT next to Ted Washington. They retained that as the base defense until week 3 of the 1998 season when they felt Sam Cowart was too good to sit the bench

thanx for the history lesson......isnt it amazing that even after levy left we were so spoiled by all the winning that we ran wade out of town.we just expected to win...god i miss that feeling....go bills in"2012......oh yeah i still have a john holocek blue home jersey....

All Leonhard does is make plays. He's always around the ball either getting an INT or picking up a fumble or returning a punt. HE did the same stuff for Buffalo even with our crummy front 7. Not sure why he was not resigned. It is stupid. Clearly he's a difference maker.

You're right on with this. He was exactly the same in college. Doesn't have the measurables,just shows up on gameday. Big mistake to let him go.

thanx for the history lesson......isnt it amazing that even after levy left we were so spoiled by all the winning that we ran wade out of town.we just expected to win...god i miss that feeling....go bills in"2012......oh yeah i still have a john holocek blue home jersey....
well, considering Wade quit on the team...first by publicly saying we were out of the playoff hunt when we weren't yet eliminated and then by refusing to get rid of his butt buddy Ronnie Jones...I don't completely disagree with running him out of town (kind of sad that a quitter like that is better than anything we've had since)

As far as Holocek....I got his jersey myself...just a few months before he left <_<

You're right on with this. He was exactly the same in college. Doesn't have the measurables,just shows up on gameday. Big mistake to let him go.
Both the NFL network and CBS did highlights on Jim Leonhard about his interceptions and fumble recoveries and kick off returns. Steve Mariucci stated he bets that the Bill would love to have this guy back.

The Bills kept Jon Corto instead of Leonhard....The Bills have McCargo instead of Bannan...

Oh yea, not only are the Bills coaches incompetent at game planning and calling plays in critical situations, now we see for certain that they can't evaluate talent either <_<

In the real games, Leonhard was terrible on the Bills. Just terrible. With the exception of a couple INTS on horribly overthrown balls that he was nowhere near any receiver but was close to the ball because it wasn't either. He was pretty decent in some preseason games.

This is why Wade Phillipps said on Sirius that he wants people who can rush the passer and THEN he will worry about the secondary.

As far as being nowhere near the receiver, neither is Whitner. It stands to reason that neither of them is at fault.

the Ravens run a very different defense than what we run. Leonard wasn't very effective for us. In Baltimore his tasks are more specific, he runs more blitzes, and covers less of the field. In our 2-deep system he had a lot of field to cover as a safety and was often not fast enough to cover it. He was picked on quite a bit. That said, Ko looks like he's on his way out himself.

random note - Did anyone notice when they clocked Leonard's punt return he was running 5 mph slower at full acceleration than when they clocked McKelvin earlier this year (22 to 17)?

Check back next year when Dawan Landry's healthy and see if he's still getting significant non-ST playing time.

It's threads like these that reinforce why oral and written "history" is just so much hooey.