The reason Gruden was fired...

This is also from Pro Football Talk. This doesn't surprise me about Gruden. Living in the Bay Area now, there were hints from the Raiders that he was a phony.

"A league source tells us that the decision of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to fire coach Jon Gruden came after ownership spent a couple of weeks collecting feedback from players regarding Gruden.

Per the source, a lot of the veterans were providing unflattering feedback as to their boss.

“He would say something to a player one day and the next do the total opposite,” the source said. “When he would cut guys, he wasn’t man enough to talk with them and guys thought that was cowardly.”

Those sentiments are consistent with things receiver Michael Clayton said in the wake of the move.

“It’s about showing more confidence in your players,” Clayton said. “He was kind of a turncoat. He’d tell you one thing and then do something else.”

It’s fairly safe to say that the Glazers also were collecting information from players – and hearing good things — about Raheem Morris, who reportedly has already been hired to replace Gruden. Otherwise, there’s no way that Morris would have gotten the job so quickly."

This is also from Pro Football Talk. This doesn't surprise me about Gruden. Living in the Bay Area now, there were hints from the Raiders that he was a phony.

"A league source tells us that the decision of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to fire coach Jon Gruden came after ownership spent a couple of weeks collecting feedback from players regarding Gruden.

Per the source, a lot of the veterans were providing unflattering feedback as to their boss.

“He would say something to a player one day and the next do the total opposite,” the source said. “When he would cut guys, he wasn’t man enough to talk with them and guys thought that was cowardly.”

Those sentiments are consistent with things receiver Michael Clayton said in the wake of the move.

“It’s about showing more confidence in your players,” Clayton said. “He was kind of a turncoat. He’d tell you one thing and then do something else.”

It’s fairly safe to say that the Glazers also were collecting information from players – and hearing good things — about Raheem Morris, who reportedly has already been hired to replace Gruden. Otherwise, there’s no way that Morris would have gotten the job so quickly."

The Bucs locker room was divided about 50/50 on Gruden. Half the team loved him & half thought he was a phony & hated him. It has been that way since his 3rd year in Tampa. I have heard RUMORS Morris will get interviewed for the job (it would satisfy the Roony rule) but I will wait for the Bucs to announce he got the job before I believe it.

Here's another bit from PFT:

"But Gruden’s availability could trigger a domino effect, with a previously on-the-fence team opting to make a move, and

to make a run at Gruden.

Possibilities (in our view) include Buffalo, Houston, Jacksonville, San Diego, Dallas, Chicago, and Carolina."

PFT isn't always known for it's accuracy, but why are they mentioning Buffalo? I know it's "in our view", but it seems weird that they would even mention the Bills.

"But Gruden’s availability could trigger a domino effect, with a previously on-the-fence team opting to make a move, and

to make a run at Gruden.

Possibilities (in our view) include Buffalo, Houston, Jacksonville, San Diego, Dallas, Chicago, and Carolina."

PFT isn't always known for it's accuracy, but why are they mentioning Buffalo? I know it's "in our view", but it seems weird that they would even mention the Bills.

Maybe they know that the Buffalo coach hasn't done enough on the football field to justify keeping his job. In fact, of that entire list, he's in the least defensible position of all. (Really, his best defense boils down to: he's the 4th head coach the team has had in the past decade. The last one quit, the one before him refused to sign an extension, and the one before him was fired for "insubordination" because he refused to fire staff members the owner cherry-picked for termination. So you can't keep "starting over" with new coaches -- even if they are obvious upgrades.)

to make a run at Gruden.

Yeah, PFT does a good job. They always say when they're being journalistic or when they're not but it's definitely a "throw __it against the wall and see if it sticks" one this time.

I don't think that Ralph and John Gruden would get along. I know Gruden played for Al Davis, who's sorta along the lines of Wilson, but Ralph doesn't fork out too much control. Control that Gruden would want to have with personell and coaches. John is too young and too cocky for Ralph. Though he is a good offensive mind, he wouldn't work here.

I don't think that Ralph and John Gruden would get along. I know Gruden played for Al Davis, who's sorta along the lines of Wilson, but Ralph doesn't fork out too much control. Control that Gruden would want to have with personell and coaches. John is too young and too cocky for Ralph. Though he is a good offensive mind, he wouldn't work here.

No, I agree he'd be a bad fit. He'd tell the "inner circle" of business suits what he thought rather than what they wanted to hear.

I wonder if Tampa exercised due diligence and interviewed any white candidates. It would be a shame if the Rooney Rule didn't swing both ways.

Yes, the historical patterns of discrimination against white coaches in the National Football League is a serious issue. :unsure:

Yes, the historical patterns of discrimination against white coaches in the National Football League is a serious issue. :wallbash:

I thought we are striving to live in a colorless world. But now that you mention it, why don't they give out more white WR roster spots to reflect true population consistencies?

Maybe he was fired because other than winning a Super Bowl with Dungy's team handed to him, he coached an up and down, medicore team.

Funny how his team started off good and crashed and burned down the stretch. That got him fired, unlike our HC.

That was not Dungy's team. Yse he was the coach but Rich McKay picked the players. Dungy was fired because he could not take the team to the next level. Gruden did his job and coached them to a SB win.

to make a run at Gruden.

True - Ralph will not throw that kind of coin around now. Jauron will be here for at least one more season.

Yes, the historical patterns of discrimination against white coaches in the National Football League is a serious issue. :wallbash:

I dont think white coaches are fairly represented in the league--in 08 season...cleveland, the colts, the bears, the.............................................................................

...........bengals,the..........................................................n

iners,..the.........lets see thats 4 and 1/2 of 32...ok forget it -thats about proportional to the blacks in the USA.

I thought we are striving to live in a colorless world. But now that you mention it, why don't they give out more white WR roster spots to reflect true population consistencies?

I think there needs to be more white RBs and DBs....and DEs(oh wait there are--on the Bills---we can be thankful for that)