indicator of how important safetys are today in the NFL

Pete

Ed Reed, Adrian Wilson, Troy Polamalu, Brian Dawkins are all in their conference championship games. That is the 4 best safetys today not named Bob Sanders. I don't think it is a coincidence that they are all playing this weekend

I was wondering how long I would have to wait before I seen this topic posted, after reading the poll on ESPN.com.

Ravens, Steelers, Cardinals and Eagles.. What do these four defenses have in common? They are all blitz heavy schemes.

And when you know your guys up front are going to get the QB, you, as a safety.. can afford to take chances.. i.e. jump pass routes.

These guys are pro bowlers because of the scheme their teams run.. their coordinators put them in a position to make plays.

Ed Reed, Adrian Wilson, Troy Polamalu, Brian Dawkins are all in their conference championship games. That is the 4 best safetys today not named Bob Sanders. I don't think it is a coincidence that they are all playing this weekend

Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, Bertrand Berry, Darnell Dockett, James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, and Trent Cole.

Those are the guys who play in the front 7 for those teams. They have a say in how productive Baltimore, Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia's safeties are.

Pressure on QB's is what usually makes safeties successful in coverage. And front 7's can free up safeties to make plays against the run.

Yes, more than anything, it all starts up front. There are very few teams who've had an effective defensive backfield behind a mediocre front 7.

Even more so, it's hard to have effective linebacking without a good defensive line.

There was a pronounced dip in Ray Lewis' career after Sam Adams left Baltimore and Tony Siragusa retired. He's played much better the last two years because of the drafting and development of Haloti Ngata, whom the Bills could have drafted.

Same with Brian Urlacher who is under immense fire in Chicago. In the last two years Tommie Harris has been injury-prone and ineffective and Tank Johnson took the paddy wagon out of town. Urlacher's play has plummeted without the protection of two good defensive tackles.

It's way more important to focus on upgrading the defensive line than even thinking about upgrades for the linebackers or defensive backfield. The players on the back end can't even really be evaluated very accurately in view of the Bills' weak front four.

Again, the acquisition of another pass rusher and another defensive run stopper must be our top priorities on defense.

Yes, more than anything, it all starts up front. There are very few teams who've had an effective defensive backfield behind a mediocre front 7.

Even more so, it's hard to have effective linebacking without a good defensive line.

There was a pronounced dip in Ray Lewis' career after Sam Adams left Baltimore and Tony Siragusa retired. He's played much better the last two years because of the drafting and development of Haloti Ngata, whom the Bills could have drafted.

Same with Brian Urlacher who is under immense fire in Chicago. In the last two years Tommie Harris has been injury-prone and ineffective and Tank Johnson took the paddy wagon out of town. Urlacher's play has plummeted without the protection of two good defensive tackles.

It's way more important to focus on upgrading the defensive line than even thinking about upgrades for the linebackers or defensive backfield. The players on the back end can't even really be evaluated very accurately in view of the Bills' weak front four.

Again, the acquisition of another pass rusher and another defensive run stopper must be our top priorities on defense.

This guy gets it!

It all starts in the trenches. The sooner we figure that out the sooner we get better.

1. The secondary doesn't have to cover as long with good D line play

2. The secondary can take more chances with good D line play

3. Linebackers are much more effective when they don't constantly have to fight off free roaming offensive linemen

4. Defensive ends are better rushers when other members of the d line don't suck.

Put Ed Reed, Adrian Wilson, Troy Polamalu, and Brian Dawkins on the Bills roster at the same time, and no one would know who they were. Safeties in DJ/PF's T2 D are not asked/expected to make plays, just prevent the big ones from happening. There's nothing I LOVE more than to see the safeties lined up 10 yards off of the LOS and backpedaling at the snap on 3rd and 5. This D actually concedes the first down to prevent the big play. It's safe football, scared football, weak football, it's football Dick Jauron's way!

Put Ed Reed, Adrian Wilson, Troy Polamalu, and Brian Dawkins on the Bills roster at the same time, and no one would know who they were. Safeties in DJ/PF's T2 D are not asked/expected to make plays, just prevent the big ones from happening. There's nothing I LOVE more than to see the safeties lined up 10 yards off of the LOS and backpedaling at the snap on 3rd and 5. This D actually concedes the first down to prevent the big play. It's safe football, scared football, weak football, it's football Dick Jauron's way!

You can put Ed Reed on the Bills or the Lions, and he'd still be Ed Reed. Some guys have a knack for getting to the ball, and Reed is one of them. I've never seen a safety better at jumping routes.

You can put Ed Reed on the Bills or the Lions, and he'd still be Ed Reed. Some guys have a knack for getting to the ball, and Reed is one of them. I've never seen a safety better at jumping routes.

Since Ed Reed is a vocal leader, highly paid, and getting long in the tooth, he'd have been cut by the Bills.

This is where I have to disagree, I would assume that our db's are instructed to keep the play in front of them, not to take the risk of making a play by jumping a route.

This guy gets it!

It all starts in the trenches. The sooner we figure that out the sooner we get better.

1. The secondary doesn't have to cover as long with good D line play

2. The secondary can take more chances with good D line play

3. Linebackers are much more effective when they don't constantly have to fight off free roaming offensive linemen

4. Defensive ends are better rushers when other members of the d line don't suck.

Nah, it's much more fun to draft a collection of 5'9" DBs.

I was wondering how long I would have to wait before I seen this topic posted, after reading the poll on ESPN.com.

Ravens, Steelers, Cardinals and Eagles.. What do these four defenses have in common? They are all blitz heavy schemes.

And when you know your guys up front are going to get the QB, you, as a safety.. can afford to take chances.. i.e. jump pass routes.

These guys are pro bowlers because of the scheme their teams run.. their coordinators put them in a position to make plays.

Single-handedly the dumbest sentence I've read here this offseason. Wow.