Answers at C and TE?

lacoy38

If we address our backup QB via FA and draft a stud DE (Orapko, Brown, etc) at #11, where do we address our needs at C and TE. I think everyone, maybe even DJ, would agree Royal and Preston will not be starting next season. Preston i like as a back up for his versatility and Royal might want to look into arena football, oh wait there cancelled, maybe he can go to the United Indoor football league and play for Freddie's old team!!

As for TE it looks like there are Coffman, Pettigrew, and Beckum as the best candidates and at least 1 or 2 would be available in rd 2. At C the top 3 are Mack, Unger, and Luigs, possible all 3 could be there in rd 2.

In FA at TE, the only decent TE is Owen Daniels who i'd love to get here but he;s and RFA which might be tricky i don't know what we'd have to give up. At C there is Matt Birk, Jason Brown, Jeff Satruday, and Brad Meester; Brown is the only one under 30 and i heard he's going to resign.

So what is the answer? If I had my choice I'd sign Matt Birk to a 2 year deal and do whatever it takes to trade for Danielsor Winslow, though i would not give up a #1.

Any thoughts? Also is there any precedent on whether a rookie TE or rookie C would be more apt to succeed right away?

If we address our backup QB via FA and draft a stud DE (Orapko, Brown, etc) at #11, where do we address our needs at C and TE. I think everyone, maybe even DJ, would agree Royal and Preston will not be starting next season.

Don't be so sure of that. Royal played plenty of minutes (when he was healthy) at the end of this season.

Royal might want to look into arena football, oh wait there cancelled, maybe he can go to the United Indoor football league and play for Freddie's old team!!

He'll find a spot somewhere in the league, like the Lions. Perhaps him and Michael Gaines can reunite in Detroit.

So what is the answer? If I had my choice I'd sign Matt Birk to a 2 year deal and do whatever it takes to trade for Danielsor Winslow, though i would not give up a #1.

Any thoughts? Also is there any precedent on whether a rookie TE or rookie C would be more apt to succeed right away?

I'll put it this way, we'll likely take the cheap way out and instead of pay a proven free agent, we'll draft both a defensive end (which I am not against) and a center. As for tight end, maybe we'll even take one in the draft as well, in the 3rd round and hope for the best. I'm not too optimistic about this front office bringing in a stud from the free agent market. IF we do, it'll be an middle-to-upper 2nd-tier type guy at best which I don't have a problem with, just as long as we don't give him Dockery type money.

There could be a trade thrown in there somewhere but as for trying to predict who, what position and what team, I'll let you guys figure that out.

If we address our backup QB via FA and draft a stud DE (Orapko, Brown, etc) at #11, where do we address our needs at C and TE. I think everyone, maybe even DJ, would agree Royal and Preston will not be starting next season. Preston i like as a back up for his versatility and Royal might want to look into arena football, oh wait there cancelled, maybe he can go to the United Indoor football league and play for Freddie's old team!!

As for TE it looks like there are Coffman, Pettigrew, and Beckum as the best candidates and at least 1 or 2 would be available in rd 2. At C the top 3 are Mack, Unger, and Luigs, possible all 3 could be there in rd 2.

In FA at TE, the only decent TE is Owen Daniels who i'd love to get here but he;s and RFA which might be tricky i don't know what we'd have to give up. At C there is Matt Birk, Jason Brown, Jeff Satruday, and Brad Meester; Brown is the only one under 30 and i heard he's going to resign.

The thing I fear is that the FO doesnt view a Tight End as big of a need as we do...I keep hearing how high they are on D. Fine, who I think showed some promise, but they didnt put him on the field enough to get a clear answer.

My personal opinnion is that we address LB and a WR in FA and then draft a DE in the 1st. Tough call on the 2nd Rd though. If they decide we need TE help, they may look at Coffman (some mocks have him maybe going in the 3rd, but come draft time I dont see him as any lower than a mid or high 2nd Rd pick, especially with Gresham returning) or center. I think the Center they target is Unger if they do.

However, if Pettigrew starts to fall to bottom of 1st Rd (I doubt it with Gresham returning) they may try and move up to get him because I suspect a big combine for him, and we all know the FO has been aggressive moving back into the bottom half of the 1st when a guy they want is still there.

Most likely scenario though in my eyes is DE in 1st and Unger in the 2nd.

The answer lies in my signature....... :thumbsup::beer::o

Charlie Batch?

C'mon. That'll only guarantee Trent keeps his spot for another year. How about we bring in some real competition? Anyone over Batch, who might the most overrated back-up in the history of the NFL. Every Steelers' back-up is beloved on this board for some unknown reason.

Batch has been good in that role. Like it or not, that's the best OneBillsdrive is gonna do. Hence the phrase, REALISTIC offseason. :thumbsup:

Let's end this Charlie Batch non-sense.

He's had one good year as a back-up and that was in 2006 when he tossed 5 touchdowns with no interceptions. Aside from that, he's been barely average. If that's your definition of "good in that role," fine but I'm pretty sure you could find someone who could put up those numbers who also has some potential to be a starting quarterback in this league. Batch has no shot at that.

A few other younger choices I personally would like to take a look at would be Chris Simms, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Leftwich, and even David Carr. As for who OneBillsDrive will look at.............. :o:doh::beer:

That's what I'd prefer as well.

No matter who we get in free agency, I think going DE (Brown, Orapko or Hardy) should be our first round pick, and since gresham isnt an option any more, I'd rather not risk it and go after one of the TE's in the second round either Pettigrew or Coffman and hopefully one of the centers will be around in the third. Either way we should sign either Brown, Birk or Saturday to a contract for the center position.

I think we can get the TE and C we want by trading with Detroit. They need a QB and a top OT. They move to 11 for the 20 from Dallas and the 33 that they own. We then trade back into the first round to pick in the early 20's giving us two picks in the first round. We can get Mack and the TE of our choice.

I think we can get the TE and C we want by trading with Detroit. They need a QB and a top OT. They move to 11 for the 20 from Dallas and the 33 that they own. We then trade back into the first round to pick in the early 20's giving us two picks in the first round. We can get Mack and the TE of our choice.

I dont see this happening with Detroit...they have too many needs and need all the picks they can get. I just dont see them giving up a pick as important as the 1st pick in round 2 just move up 9 spots in the first from their 2nd first round selecton at pick 20.

Det is in a position to make huge strides if they maximize these picks this year, just dont see them giving any of them up for that type of move.

I dont see this happening with Detroit...they have too many needs and need all the picks they can get. I just dont see them giving up a pick as important as the 1st pick in round 2 just move up 9 spots in the first from their 2nd first round selecton at pick 20.

Det is in a position to make huge strides if they maximize these picks this year, just dont see them giving any of them up for that type of move.

The trade with Detroit makes sense but Detroit would trade it's 20th pick overall and the 1st pick in the 3rd round to move up the 9 spots to 11. I would only make this trade if Curry is off the board, which he probably will be at this point in the draft. But if he's there take Curry.

At the 20th spot the Bills still have a lot of different choices they could make here. Take the top TE, probably Pettigrew. Take the best remaining DE, from what I've seen only Brown & Orakpo are locks to be off the board at this point. Or, and I will probably be blasted for this but if William Moore is still there, they could select him.

With the pick in the 2nd round and the two in the 3rd we get our center and OLB.

Of course none of it will happen this way or any other way that people are talking/predicting about but it sure is fun isn't it?

What about Dominic Raoila at Center, he has worn out his welcome in the motor city, he probably wants out anyway,

and he, depite his disdain for the fans, would be very servicable. I think that he would have that mean streak in the

middle of the OL that we desperatley need. Then we can focus on DE and TE through the draft

This is precisely what I'm hoping for.

Or the other way to do it is to draft someone good like Seattle did with John Carlson last year.

I think Carlson is more of the exception. It's so rare though to find a gem TE who can come in and contribute right away. Even guys like Tony G., Dallas Clark, etc. take a few years to learn the ropes.

I have no problem developing Fine, but finding a FA TE weapon who can start right now for us.