The evidence is really starting to pile up

Well, with Mays going back to USC, he's out.

And with Gresham going back to Oklahoma, he's out.

And with Maybin declaring, he's in.

The Bills can't go DB now, can they? The Bills can't go TE because Pettigrew is a reach, no? Of ocurse we could go ahead and grab Mack, solidifying the C position for ten years. But with one more pass rusher in the mix I think we have a great shot at a real blue chip DE. Whether it be Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, or Hardy. We should end up having our pick of at least a few of them.

It almost seems that the Bills have no choice but to address the DE position in round one.

Thoughts?

The Bills can't go DB now, can they? The Bills can't go TE because Pettigrew is a reach, no? Of ocurse we could go ahead and grab Mack, solidifying the C position for ten years. But with one more pass rusher in the mix I think we have a great shot at a real blue chip DE. Whether it be Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, or Hardy. We should end up having our pick of at least a few of them.

It almost seems that the Bills have no choice but to address the DE position.

Thoughts?

It's looking that way. Hopefully nothing but DE's enter the draft so that the Bills will have no choice but to do the right thing and solidify the DE position.

It almost seems that the Bills have no choice but to address the DE position in round one.

Thoughts?

Good post.

Looking at the players that are available in this draft, and our specific needs, I really can't see how we can not go DE in the first. TE is a need, but there isn't going to be one that's worth a #11 pick. Center is a need, but I think I would vomit in my mouth if we took a Center that high. I could perhaps see us taking a LB at 11..that is the only other position that we clearly need to fill. But then again, there's still a lot to be seen with what we do with crowell or in FA.

If Brown is there at 11 I think we take him. If he's gone by 11, along with Orapko for sure, then I could see us trying to trade down. If we can't trade down, that's when I could see us drafting a LB that high.

One thing that scares me is how much money we currently have tied up in crappy DE's (Denney/Kelsay)...my question to you is as follows: Even though DE is a clear need (in terms of production), do you think that the contracts we have with Denney, Schobel, Kelsay will deter this team from drafting a DE at 11 and paying him the relatively high contract he'll demand?

I hope not.

Good post.

Looking at the players that are available in this draft, and our specific needs, I really can't see how we can not go DE in the first. TE is a need, but there isn't going to be one that's worth a #11 pick. Center is a need, but I think I would vomit in my mouth if we took a Center that high. I could perhaps see us taking a LB at 11..that is the only other position that we clearly need to fill. But then again, there's still a lot to be seen with what we do with crowell or in FA.

If Brown is there at 11 I think we take him. If he's gone by 11, along with Orapko for sure, then I could see us trying to trade down. If we can't trade down, that's when I could see us drafting a LB that high.

One thing that scares me is how much money we currently have tied up in crappy DE's (Denney/Kelsay)...my question to you is as follows: Even though DE is a clear need (in terms of production), do you think that the contracts we have with Denney, Schobel, Kelsay will deter this team from drafting a DE at 11 and paying him the relatively high contract he'll demand?

I hope not.

After seeing the team let go of Tripplett when he under performed. I have a feeling that kelsey is toast, either via trade or release. then they can afford to pay a top rookie DE.

After seeing the team let go of Tripplett when he under performed. I have a feeling that kelsey is toast, either via trade or release. then they can afford to pay a top rookie DE.

Tripplett wasn't a high effort captain who tried really hard. :thumbsup:

Kelsay is the proverbial kid who got picked last to play kickball. He couldn't kick very far, couldnt run very fast, and couldn't field the ball, but he just liked to have fun out there. God I hope they find someone to replace him

Good post.

I hope not.

I never liked that reasoning. I dont care how much money is invested where, you need to spend money in areas of weakness. Maybe we can invest more in the DL because we have less invested in the LB, or OL, or WR or where ever. Bottom line is the DL needs improvement, so adress it.

On the other hand, with my very optimistic view, I see the Bills drafting in the top 6 next year. As we have no real chance to make the playoffs under Dickie J, I see this as a 2 year rebuilding process. We will be able to take a top DE in 2010. So we can either get two top DE's two consecutive years, or get a 10 year starting center this year, and a top DE next year. I prefer two DE's, but I dont really mind either way. If we can draft a probowl center at 11, that is not a reach.

Good post.

I hope not.

Or what happens if all of the DE's getting taken early since those other guys didn't declare? Raji or another DT? An LB?

Of ocurse we could go ahead and grab Mack, solidifying the C position for ten years.

there are no sure things in the draft. Mack would be an enormous reach at 11 (a bigger reach than Pettigrew) and, at that, Mayock lists him only as the 3rd best center in the draft (for what little that is worth)

I think we will go DE unless there was a run in the top-10. If that happens we'll probably go LB - and get a guy like Maulauga, Laurinitis, or Currey if he falls to us, or less likely, a DT. I'd be shocked by anything else.