All inclusive

The Tomcat

looking for 2 adults 2 kids (15/13) for a week. Looking for sun, relaxation, food and drink.

Anybody have any history with an all inclusive? I'm a fine print guy and want to know whats NOT included in the All Inclusives, how your treated and its got to be safe.

Any help/direction is appreciated

If you want to go on the cheap (relative term) I would recommend Apple Vacations. In cancun top of the line is Palace Resorts. My wife and I stayed at one of their adult only resorts (Aventura Palace) and it was unbelievable but pricey. They have 5 or 6 other locations in Cancun that are family oriented and very nice. Have fun and enjoy a XX :beer: or 2.

Aruba is sweet

I second the Aruba advice, especially if budget is a concern. I have been to 2 all inclusive trips, Sandals Duns River Falls in Jamaica and a place called the Tamarijn in Aruba http://www.tamarijnaruba.com/index.php The Sandals Resort was my Honeymoon back in '97 and was a great time, but it cost at least double what Aruba did. (it was definitely a more upscale Resort) Jamaica did not feel very safe when you went off property but Aruba definitely was. We went to Aruba before we had kids but my wife and I agreed that it would be the perfect place to go with kids who were in their early teens or so because there seemed to be a lot for them to do. Feel free to pm me if you want more detailed descriptions.

If you want to go on the cheap (relative term) I would recommend Apple Vacations. In cancun top of the line is Palace Resorts. My wife and I stayed at one of their adult only resorts (Aventura Palace) and it was unbelievable but pricey. They have 5 or 6 other locations in Cancun that are family oriented and very nice. Have fun and enjoy a XX :beer: or 2.

I stayed at the Aventura palace 8 years ago and it was great. I heard they have added a lot on since then.

I've done all inclusive with Sandals in the past. Unfortunately I believe they are all couples resorts, no kids. In my experience with Sandals, all inclusive means all your food and drink is free. Basically they have restaurants and little bars set up all over the resort. Anytime you get hungry, you go there, eat or drink as much as you want, and then go on your merry way...no check. They also had snorkeling, paddle boats and some other crap that was free too.

looking for 2 adults 2 kids (15/13) for a week. Looking for sun, relaxation, food and drink.

Anybody have any history with an all inclusive? I'm a fine print guy and want to know whats NOT included in the All Inclusives, how your treated and its got to be safe.

Any help/direction is appreciated

If you're looking for an all inclusive where they include 2 adults and 2 kids, I think you have to try someplace like Thailand. That's illegal in most countries.

I stayed at the Aventura palace 8 years ago and it was great. I heard they have added a lot on since then.

We stayed there about 5 years ago and construction was in full swing while we were there. They have doubled in size and the original half of the resort is still adults only while the new part is families. we would love to go back in April but a 7 day stay is close to $4000 including air. Can't justify spending that kind of green in the current environment. I have a full week off so we're checking out resorts daily.

I was actually looking to do the same thing Tomcat and I love using Tripadvisor.com it has a ton of reviews of all types of places. I was also looking for an all inclusive but every place I find seems to have crappy food according to the people who've been there.

I was actually looking to do the same thing Tomcat and I love using Tripadvisor.com it has a ton of reviews of all types of places. I was also looking for an all inclusive but every place I find seems to have crappy food according to the people who've been there.

Tripadvisor is a great tool. :wallbash:

My wife and I did an all-inclusive in Cabo a couple years ago and loved it. The themed restuarants were great, but the dinner buffet sucked which is what most people complain about. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza and it was family freindly.

We used Apple a few years back to go to Iberostar in Punta Cana a few years back and loved it. There were definitely kids there, but most I think were European. It was early February when no school in the US is out on purpose.

You might also want to look at a cruise. It's like a floating all-inclusive. :wallbash: My wife and I have been on two -- one to Alaska, and one to Hawaii (and back again). Both were awesome trips, and not all that expensive, relatively speaking. The 7 day Alaska trip (that stopped in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan) was about $1,500/person, and the 14 day Hawaii trip (4 days on the water, 5 days in Hawaii, 4 days back on the water to SD) was about $1,600/person. That doesn't include shore excursions, but it does include all of your food, entertainment, etc (except for alcohol).

Anyway, worth checking into it if you're not into the "lay on the beach" scene. :thumbdown:

I was actually researching this for possibly spring break this year. Do not what you are looking to spend, but the Beaches Resort Turks and Caicos http://www.beaches.com/main/tc/tc-home.cfm

Pretty pricey, but seems to get reviews from every source I viewed. I will say my kids are much younger(7&9). In the end we decided on a trip to San Fran for a few days then 4 nights in Tahoe. Waitig to bbok the tahoe hotels till closer to trip time as i think rates will just get better and better. I think you could do the same with one of these places. Specially if you are looking at a place like Cancun, you could book your flights now, then book hotel later. No city is going to sold out in this economy, and I can guarantee you prices will only get cheaper.

We've got a friend that works for AAA and she's looking into a trip as well.

They gave us a couple booklets about Cancun. They were Apple tour booklets so that made me feel good after a few people have recommended them.

Cancun/Mexico is looking strong right now. Actually my son will be 12 when we go so that saves a couple bucks......

A cruise is basically an all-inclusive. I did Carnival in the Western Caribbean last year and loved it. I also did a mid-level all-inclusive resort on Cozumel about 6 years ago and it was fine. Not the Ritz but everything was very good. All depends what your expectations are I suppose.

PTR