Hardy May Be Out most of 2009 Season

box0life

I totally agree. The guy was useless with two good legs. Now with a bad knee, I would be shocked if he is ready to contribute by opening day 2009. James Hardy looked like he had absolutely no clue on how to get open against NFL defenses. A lot of receivers take time to develop, but the Bills did not have that luxury of having Hardy take his time with understanding the pro game. I blame the organization for not doing enough research on Hardy about how NFL ready he was coming out of Indiana. And than when he came to us, we put no packages in to utilize any strengths he may have.

If Hardy is not going to be ready for 2009, we need another WR and a TE to give Trent or whoever is going to play QB more downfield targets. (The Bills were last in the league in passes thrown over 16 yards in the air according to Mark Gaughn of the Buffalo News.)

You kind of answered your own question or post.

You blame Hardy for everything in the book but yet you also state that the coaches did not utilize any of his strengths.

As far as Hardy not getting open is a complete joke. Go to the games and you would of seen other wise.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he showed no real promise during his first year.

I thought that was a pretty damn good catch in the endzone on that fade from Trent early in the season. THat was some promise...of course, he showed he has problems adjusting to the ball when it's in the air...

Most everyone here said that Moulds sucked his first 2 years.

I hope I'm wrong in saying this, but I don't see Hardy developing. If he comes back next year from surgery, he HAS TO show something that looks like he is working his ass off to be on the field. Sorry, but he looked really easy to cover, confused, and emotionless before the injury.

Johnson had 10 catches all season, Hardy had 9.

Neither..."impact" rookie WR's. Patience...

Cincy.....I am not saying anything about Hardy one way or the other......but the fact is Stevie was on the field a fraction of what Hardy was.

I think Johnston was way more "nfl ready" but that doesn't determin he or Hardies ceiling potential.

His route running is bad, he is slow to understand the pro game, it usually takes a year for a player to get back to 100% full physically and mentally from ACL injuries, and he showed no real promise during his first year. Do you really think he is going to be 100% ready by the start of the season? He also may be a step slower then last year which again won't help his cause.

To me, he's useless and will not contribute next year. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it.

Even if one agrees with your initial premise (several parts of which are clearly debatable) its a big jump from these initial thoughts to a conclusion that this player will be useless to the Bills next year.

1. Folks simply recover at different speeds from ACL tears depending upon the nature of the tear (how clean or not), the success of the surgery (a good repair or not), a virtual dice roll of post operation infection (both Manning and Brady were hit by post-op infection, diligence at rehab and other factors. Its simply too early to conclude how fast Hardy is gonna recover or not.

2. His problems seem a lot to be a lack of understanding of the routes and the game which can be greatly aided by a player having to take a seat and watch film, an off-season of study without the distraction of being able to go dancing at the disco may be a very good thing for Hardy as a performer.

3. Sure he may be a step slower in flat out speed but unless surgery is really botched he will be the same height. I think the big thing which may hinder Hardy's development and use is not changes brought by the injury, but the fact we did not make a change at OC and got a coordinator he can design good routes and get Hardy free on fade patterns. I am far less concerned about whether he has lost a step of speed that whether he comes back with the same or better ability to make a sharp cut on a short route.

Worries he may have lost a step are simply overblown and unwarranted until we get more info.

Even if one agrees with your initial premise (several parts of which are clearly debatable) its a big jump from these initial thoughts to a conclusion that this player will be useless to the Bills next year.

1. Folks simply recover at different speeds from ACL tears depending upon the nature of the tear (how clean or not), the success of the surgery (a good repair or not), a virtual dice roll of post operation infection (both Manning and Brady were hit by post-op infection, diligence at rehab and other factors. Its simply too early to conclude how fast Hardy is gonna recover or not.

2. His problems seem a lot to be a lack of understanding of the routes and the game which can be greatly aided by a player having to take a seat and watch film, an off-season of study without the distraction of being able to go dancing at the disco may be a very good thing for Hardy as a performer.

3. Sure he may be a step slower in flat out speed but unless surgery is really botched he will be the same height. I think the big thing which may hinder Hardy's development and use is not changes brought by the injury, but the fact we did not make a change at OC and got a coordinator he can design good routes and get Hardy free on fade patterns. I am far less concerned about whether he has lost a step of speed that whether he comes back with the same or better ability to make a sharp cut on a short route.

Worries he may have lost a step are simply overblown and unwarranted until we get more info.

I think that if you are the management you have to take this position on Hardy. "Expect nothing", If he manages to rehab he might be of some use to you late 2009 or more likely 2010,. The point is that you can no longer rely on Hardy to be the big WR you were looking for in 09.

We are back on the big receiver= high need list.

The only adjustment I would make to that is to look for a big TE if one is availabel rather than a Big WR. We need to draft a Pass rusher number one anyway. But Big receiver whether he is a TE or a WR is back high on the list. The choice is to get on in Free Agency or in the draft but it's got to be done. Hardy not the answer in 09.

As others have said, I think that Steve Johnson can be the one that steps in and replaces him if he is not able to go until late next year. He has prototypical size, and has shown that he can be trusted in the red zone to make the big catch. He scored 2 TDs in 2 out of the last 3 games, and he was even given a carry on a reverse in the Jets game which shows the coaching staff is trying to get the ball into his hands more.

According to "sources", he had a very bad injury. I doubt he will make OTAs/and perhaps miss at least some training camp. Remember McGahee. Even with a good rehab, these injuries can take up to two years. There's no doubt... he will not contribute in '09.

McGahee had a total knee reconstruction, Hardy has a ACL. Lee Evans tore his ACL in college and didn't lose a step. James seems to be mentally strong. He will be fine.

I think that if you are the management you have to take this position on Hardy. "Expect nothing", If he manages to rehab he might be of some use to you late 2009 or more likely 2010,. The point is that you can no longer rely on Hardy to be the big WR you were looking for in 09.

We are back on the big receiver= high need list.

The only adjustment I would make to that is to look for a big TE if one is availabel rather than a Big WR. We need to draft a Pass rusher number one anyway. But Big receiver whether he is a TE or a WR is back high on the list. The choice is to get on in Free Agency or in the draft but it's got to be done. Hardy not the answer in 09.

maybe we should look for a "good" WR instead of the tallest goober we can find. :wallbash:

probably get better production that way

With out the TD grab in Jacksonville, Buff would be 6-10. So I guess you can say he did something. If you are counting stricky on Hardy becoming a number 2 for the Bills to be a playoff team, then you didnt see the rest of the team play this past season. QB, line play, coaching and LUCK is what is needed for the Bills to make the playoffs.

The TD in grab in Jacksonville was a terrific play just what we had in mind when Hardy was drafted. Then they put it back in the playbook.

I never understood it. Did teams start to Double Hardy? no. The play in not that sophisticated It's just a timing pattern The only way the D stops it is to smother the receiver or stop the WR from getting off the line. Or the WR drops the ball. Or if the rush is so fierce the QB misfires.

Most of the time you get a TD or draw a flag for holding or interference.

If the D doubles the WR over and under then someone else is likely open. i don't think the play was called more than 3 times the whole season. One went for a TD. Another time Edwards underthrew it and Hardy did not come back for the ball. ????