Cris Carter

Dan

Which goes to show that you can be a great, HOF-caliber football player, but terrible with a mic in front of a camera. Apparently, all you need to be is a high-profile player or an ex-player with a wild personality to get a job like that.

Of the ex-players currently broadcasting, IMO, Aikman is easily the best of them with Daryl Johnston not far behind. I'd probably put Ron Jaworski in that list, also.

Jaworski is the best. He works the hardest and doesn't make ludicrous statements. Aikman is good, but no Jaws.

Chris Carter was correct when we were 5-1 and he said that we were pretenders. Everybody bashed him for this as saying he was clueless, but I guess it was the eternal optimists on this board that truly were clueless.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how everybody on here has a different opinion on almost every announcer...to each his own I guess.

Shannon Sharpe: says some pretty intelligent stuff every once in a while, but I laugh everytime he talks because I think I'm watching Mr. Ed the horse talk on Sundays. Does he have peanut butter stuck in his mouth? Pretty entertaining stuff.

Chris Carter: He's the worst kind of idiot. Everybody does it on television, but Carter "hedges" his comments more than any other. Remember that stuff that was posted here a couple months ago about him calling out Charles Rogers and how stupid the Lions were to draft him? How he trained with the guy and said all the Lions had to do was "talk to him?" Then reports came out about how he said what a wonderful young man Rogers was at the time, ect ect? Yeah, case in point, Chris Carter sucks.

Troy Aikman: Maybe it is my anti-Cowboys bias showing through, but I just can't stand listening and seeing this guy get the prime time game with Joe Buck every week. I don't care for Joe Buck in football that much either, baseball he's ok. But I think together the two of them have the droning boring voice that you can't tell whose talking. When the camera pans to them, Aikman always has that expression on his face that shows he's had too many concussions in his lifetime. And I dont think he ever offers any inside or unique analysis EVER. Take this weekend: McNabb clearly got his foot stepped on by his center. Aikman rambles on for a few minutes about how every once in a while the center will take a step back and step on the QBs foot...OK, thats fine! All he had to say was repeat the one line I stated above. Don't go into a 2 minute analysis of how a Center might do that to his QB. Keep it at a minimum. And I don't want to even go into Aikman's slobbering all over his Cowboys. Yeah, I don't think Jim Kelly could help it either, but Jim Kelly never called Bills games. If the guy is going to do color with Joe Buck, don't give him Cowboys games every week! Especially on prime freaking time! In front of the whole country! Does fox really hold to the fact that the cowboys are "america's team" garbage?

Emmit Smith: I don't even think I have to say anything about him. He's just an idiot, and its sad that a guy that was so good as a pro could be tarnishing his name with all the porky pig or elmer fudd soundbites he puts in every week. My favorite, during the Bills Cleveland pregame: "Turk Sherman" instead of "Turk Schoenert." Now that was a classic. He clearly doesn't put any preparation into his analysis, and I can't fathom how producers don't see this. Then again, producers aren't football people, so maybe they have no idea, just like Smith. And if you have this much stuff on youtube making fun the way you talk, you're not a good analyst: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZsJrFf5lj8...feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZsJrFf5lj8...feature=related

Jaws: Don't have any complaints. A step up from Theismann, who was only there to be made fun of by Kornheiser last year.

Everybody's always going to have a different reaction to different announcers, but that makes us human. I personally like watching these guys just so I can laugh at them. Again, to each his own.

Was Jim Kelly really that much worse than some of these guys?

I don't remember Kelly ever given a chance to be a color guy. Was he? And even if he ever was, he was never given the chance to sit on a prominent show like E. Smith or have the prime time game color commentator post like Aikman.

And yeah, if Jimbo did, he probably would show the same level of competence (in my opinion) as Aikman. Thank God Jimbo stays otta that limelight and avoids any such criticism. I like his ESPN and Man Law commercials better than anything Aikman has done in his post-career.

Now when we talk about Emmit Smith, I think you can pluck almost anyone out of the crowd at a football stadium and they would be more knowledgeable than him. As long as the replacement has never seen a speech therapist in their lives, they could probably put on a competent show. Yes, its that bad.

I don't remember Kelly ever given a chance to be a color guy. Was he? And even if he ever was, he was never given the chance to sit on a prominent show like E. Smith or have the prime time game color commentator post like Aikman.

And yeah, if Jimbo did, he probably would show the same level of competence (in my opinion) as Aikman. Thank God Jimbo stays otta that limelight and avoids any such criticism. I like his ESPN and Man Law commercials better than anything Aikman has done in his post-career.

Now when we talk about Emmit Smith, I think you can pluck almost anyone out of the crowd at a football stadium and they would be more knowledgeable than him. As long as the replacement has never seen a speech therapist in their lives, they could probably put on a competent show. Yes, its that bad.

He was on Countdown for one year and on NBC as a color commentator with McGuire for one year.

I really enjoy listening to Steve Young talk football. To each his own I guess.

I like Young quite a bit too. I was annoyed when they took him out of the studio on Sunday mornings. He's one of the better studio guys Imo.

The worst is Marshal Faulk - I'd rather hear my wife talk football than hear Faulk speak.

Honestly, I can't comment of the quality of Sharpe's comments. I've never understood a word that's come out of his mouth.

Aikman is actually a good announcer, I'll add (IMO).

Yeah, Sharpe, though he might actually be fairly knowledgeable from a football standpoint, something gets lost in

the transition of that knowledge from his head to his mouth. And have you ever heard him TRY to pronounce Rothlisberger.

Forget it. His S's need work, I think that I one heard him say that his mama makes good dickey buns.

Chris Carter is Steve Erkle on steroids. He finally discarded the glasses that even made him more of an Erkle dead ringer.

Why is it that these networks feel that they can just throw any old jock at us, regardless of their jounalistic abilities, or the

ability to put two coherent sentences together. Geesh! I actually did turn the announcers off on one of the games, did not

misss them at all.

Maybe you've been wrong for years. :wallbash:

Collinsworth talks to you with the assumption that you already have some knowledge of football and shares information that is actually insightful to someone that knows what's going on in the game. As opposed to the vast majority of analysts who talk to you like you've never watched a game before. Why, who do you like?

Collinsworth talks to you with the assumption that you already have some knowledge of football and shares information that is actually insightful to someone that knows what's going on in the game. As opposed to the vast majority of analysts who talk to you like you've never watched a game before. Why, who do you like?

I was just messing with you. I think Collinsworth is pretty decent overall and better than average. And like I said before, it's a thankless job because you're supposed to both be insightful to people that know what's going on and yet at the same time not bore or talk over the heads of the majority of people who may know a little about the game but are not super-serious fans like most of us are.

I don't think any of them are great. I think Aikman is surprisingly good. Simms says a lot of good things but is annoying just as much to me. Jaws is decent. There is one relatively new guy, an ex player who is black that I can't think of right now but he is pretty good. Most of them suck.

It's also a way different job from a studio host analyst, although almost all of them suck as well. Every single one of the CBS, FOX and ESPN pre-game guys stink IMO with the possible exception of Tom Jackson and he has become a little stale after all these years.

I'm really surprised that Steve Young isn't a bigger star because I think he has it all, very smart, good voice, good looking for TV, knows his stuff, isn't afraid to give his opinion but doesn't do it just to be controversial, etc.

The NFL is probably the worst covered sport in today's sporting event, the only network that's probably the best coverage for the NFL is fox, other than that I can't take CBS's coverage for bills games, but with Cris Carter, I say the dumbest man on that show, is the man sitting next to him, and that's sheshawn johnson. I think Cris Carter is decent, but I'd take listening to Cris Carter over Sheshawn anyday of the week. I think they should take Mike Tarico, Jaws and Tony Kornheiser out, from MNF, and bring in a new cast, Mike Tarico I don't mind him calling NBA games he's good, but jaws is pretty annoying, all he talks about is his good ol days in philly, and Tony Kronhieser always asks for Jaws's opinion on every thing he says. I say just leave T.J. and Boomer in the studio for the whole year, and put Steve Young and Emmitt Smith to call the games on ESPN.