How many people lost their shirts betting on the Carolina v. Arizona g

Steely Dan

Off the top of my head I can't think of one person who thought the Cardinals would win. I wonder how this will affect LV's bottom line? :unsure:

I know Vegas tries to put the spread so both teams will be bet equally but I still see the higher payouts for betting on Arizona hurting them.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some crazy Arizona fan who sold all of his posessions and put it all on this game made out like a bandit. Most people were cursing at the TV. :unsure: I, personally, don't gamble and this is the prime example why.

Some crazy Arizona fan who sold all of his posessions and put it all on this game made out like a bandit. Most people were cursing at the TV. :unsure: I, personally, don't gamble and this is the prime example why.

I don't gamble either but those who do probably thought Carolina was a complete lock. I don't know what the spread on the game was but it had to have been a large spread.

Off the top of my head I can't think of one person who thought the Cardinals would win. I wonder how this will affect LV's bottom line? :unsure:

I know Vegas tries to put the spread so both teams will be bet equally but I still see the higher payouts for betting on Arizona hurting them.

I did put money on the Cardinals last night and I bet them to win the Superbowl back in the summertime. I have the Cardinals for $50 at 50-1 odds.

I'm going to hedge my bet. I don't know how much, but I can't hedge the whole amount because I don't have that kind of cash lying around.

I also took Carolina to win the Superbowl back in the summertime and also before the playoffs started, so I didn't really care who won last night. But I did think Carolina would win. I thought they'd have a tough time winning by 11 points.

Jake Delhomme may have put heavy money on the Cardinals. :unsure:

:doh:

I did put money on the Cardinals last night and I bet them to win the Superbowl back in the summertime. I have the Cardinals for $50 at 50-1 odds.

I'm going to hedge my bet. I don't know how much, but I can't hedge the whole amount because I don't have that kind of cash lying around.

I also took Carolina to win the Superbowl back in the summertime and also before the playoffs started, so I didn't really care who won last night. But I did think Carolina would win. I thought they'd have a tough time winning by 11 points.

What the hell made you think the Cardinals would be this good this year?

If my math is correct you will make $2,500 off that bet. Not a bad return on investment.

What does hedging your bet mean? I've heard the cliche but I don't know what it actually means as far as betting goes.

What does hedging your bet mean? I've heard the cliche but I don't know what it actually means as far as betting goes.

It's means to bet against an earlier bet you've to ensure you'll at least win some money. It requires the odds to have substantially changed in your favor for it to work.

nah I never seen it coming. Then to see Boldin out for the game, I was thinking blowout.....hey man just goes to show you still have to play the game and see what happens in the end. I kinda find myself cheering for those Cards. Great to see though, those fans should be proud!

I did lose that game last night as well. After the first TD, I thought that the Carolina run game would have been too much for the Cardinals, but for some reason, Fox abandoned it.

I did win 2 out of 3 yesterday though with the Raens and the under in that game.

It's means to bet against an earlier bet you've to ensure you'll at least win some money. It requires the odds to have substantially changed in your favor for it to work.

Thanks, if I understand this right then your bet at 50-1 was locked in at those odds. Now though I'd imagine the odds are a lot less maybe 10-1 or 20-1. So you couldn't hedge that bet and still get the 50-1 odds.

Thanks, if I understand this right then your bet at 50-1 was locked in at those odds. Now though I'd imagine the odds are a lot less maybe 10-1 or 20-1. So you couldn't hedge that bet and still get the 50-1 odds.

No but you could make 3 new superbowl winner bets- NYG/Philly winner, Baltimore, and the SD/Pitt winner. For the sake of argument say NYG was 3 to 1, Baltimore was 15 to 1, and Pitt was 6 to 1 he could bet up to a collective 2,500 (which would be the payout for his original ARI bet) on these 3 teams and the worst case scenario would be he'd break even if Arizona won but he'd really cash in any of the other 3 teams won the superbowl. Or he could just bet 500$ on the other three teams and he'd win the following (with no risk of losing money)-

NYG 1500-50=1450

BAL 7500-50=7450

PITT 3000-50=2950

ARI 2500-50-500-500-500=950

:wallbash:

What the hell made you think the Cardinals would be this good this year?

If my math is correct you will make $2,500 off that bet. Not a bad return on investment.

Because they played great last year. They lost to the Saints which blew their chances at a spot in the playoffs. Plus I think they lost that OT game last year against the 49ers that also cost them. I saw nothing but upside.

As explained above, I'm going to hedge the bet to get the $50 back.

Or I could bet $1000 on Philadelphia to win on the money line and I would win $500. The money line is $200 to win $100. But I don't have the $1000. So, I let it ride.

I've been doing this for years. Since 1997. I stood to win about $60,000 in 1998 on Buffalo to win the Superbowl. I think I got it at 60-1 and 80-1. It kept dropping as the season wore on. I think I got it at 26-1 before I stopped.

I made a small hedge when Buffalo played Miami. But it didn't cover what I had in the bets. Miami wins and I'm ticked. I was going to hedge big time if Buffalo went to Denver. It didn't happen as we all know.

I also had Miami at around 25-1 or 19-1 something like that. But I didn't have that much into the ticket.

Also in 1998, I took the Cardinals at 100-1 or 200-1 to win the Superbowl to win around $36,000. I hedged that one when the Cardinals went to Dallas and beat them in the playoffs. But I didn't put huge money down. I also hedged when they went to Minnesota and lost. I think I got most of the money back on the tickets.

I don't understand why the need to hedge the bet? You put down $50 and stand to win $2500. Can you not afford to lose the $50?

When I'm talking about hedging, I'm talking about trying to win half of the $2,500. The problem with this is the odds and the lines.

If it ends of being Pittsburgh -1 over Arizona in the Superbowl, I would take Pittsburgh for the $1,100 to win $1000. That way, I would get a free $1000 rather than nothing if Pittsburgh simply wins the game. If Arizona wins them I win $2,500 minus the $1100.

If it ends up being Pittsburgh -7 and they win but don't cover them I'm out both. You have to hope for a small point spread.

Or I could bet the remaining teams as was explainded above. Arizona is now 5-1 to win. I think Philly is 3-1 or 2-1. Pittsburgh you win around $133 for every $100 bet. Baltimore is 7 to 2, I think.