Kirk Chambers - not sure of his FA Status

OnTheRocks

I don't know the details of Kirk Chambers contract other then seeing that he is a FA. I don't know if he is restricted or unrestricted or some other category that changes from week to week.

My question is do you think he will be offered a contract to return - or will he be given not offer?

I think he is a very solid back up and I imagine a good number of teams would be willing to sign him and give him the opportunity to fight for a starting job?

Or will the Bills try to sign him long term and let Peters play out his contract?

Just curious.

I don't know the details of Kirk Chambers contract other then seeing that he is a FA. I don't know if he is restricted or unrestricted or some other category that changes from week to week.

My question is do you think he will be offered a contract to return - or will he be given not offer?

I think he is a very solid back up and I imagine a good number of teams would be willing to sign him and give him the opportunity to fight for a starting job?

Or will the Bills try to sign him long term and let Peters play out his contract?

Just curious.

I think we should sign him!!

Chambers should be kept around. He is definitely a solid backup, and we need those desperately. He may even develop into a decent starter if the opportunity arises.

But Chambers is one of those I'd like to see given a 3 or 4 year deal to stick around. I'm hoping they do a similar thing for Freddie Jackson.

Chambers should be kept around. He is definitely a solid backup, and we need those desperately. He may even develop into a decent starter if the opportunity arises.

But Chambers is one of those I'd like to see given a 3 or 4 year deal to stick around. I'm hoping they do a similar thing for Freddie Jackson.

Exactly

I think Jonathan Scott will take over the role and add better pass protection at LT.

And this is based on what? The fact that we signed him off the street and no one has wanted him in over a year?

Bell still has a LONG ways to go.......

How would you know?

Scott has been hurt and from watching about 6 or 7 games in college he has way better athleticism than Chambers (I gave up 2 sacks in 3 plays vs. the Dolphins) to play LT. As for Bell I'd say about half the board could outbench him and he is not a guy who already had outstanding strength and athleticism like Peters did coming out of college. He's gonna need WAY more work than all the people around here think.

Totally agree with you Rubes. Chambers showed much improvement this year, and did a good job at both tackle positions. I personally think he is better at RT than LT, but his stock is rising as a valuable back-up.

Fred Jackson should definitely be given a good extended contract too.

Please give these guys 3 or 4 year contracts, and not some measly 2 year tender.

The only reason people around here are so emamoured with Bell is because his dad is Karl Malone and they are wishing Bell inherited his skill set to play LT. Add to that the fact Karl Malone is an absente father people want to pull for the guy to "stick it to his dad" making for a great story. Add even further the fact many are still bitter at Jason Peters people are hoping guys like Chambers and Bell can play so they can "stick it to Peters" over the holdout.

I do agree with MarkVaderr on if Chambers was brought back, I really only like him at RT as a backup. He can't handle LT and probably isn't strong enough at G. Only being able to backup one position effectively, I just don't know about bringing him back, although I'm not against it. 50/50 for me on Chambers.

The only reason people around here are so emamoured with Bell is because his dad is Karl Malone and they are wishing Bell inherited his skill set to play LT. Add to that the fact Karl Malone is an absente father people want to pull for the guy to "stick it to his dad" making for a great story. Add even further the fact many are still bitter at Jason Peters people are hoping guys like Chambers and Bell can play so they can "stick it to Peters" over the holdout.

I have no issue with Peters. I hope he resigns long term, and as for Bell I hope fails miserabley so he gets hooked on drugs and riddles his absente fathers body with bullets.

Just curious.

The information below was given by Buffalo Bills media man, Chris Brown on www.buffalobills.com.

Unrestricted – Kirk Chambers, Angelo Crowell, Melvin Fowler, Jabari Greer, Teddy Lehman, J.P. Losman, Corey McIntyre, Duke Preston, Jason Whittle.

Restricted – John DiGiorgio, Keith Ellison, Dustin Fox, Gibran Hamdan, Justin Jenkins, George Wilson.

Chambers is an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA). Because of his versatility, I think Buffalo should resign Chambers. I would give him middle of the road backup money for 3 years. He is our best backup linemen in my opinion. Granted, the Bills line isn't that good, but Chambers is a quality backup player. In fact out of all of all our free agents, I would say Chambers is one of top 3-4 free agents (Greer, Crowell, Chambers, and DiGiorgio).

The Unrestricted we should try to retain:

Chambers, Crowell (if healthy and if we don't get Karlos Dansby from Arizona), Greer (but I bet he signs somewhere else for starting money), and Duke Preston. I know he isn't a great backup C, but he is young and also plays guard. He can provide some depth as a backup. Besides, as many have mentioned on this site, the Bills will probably pursue both a veteran in free agency and a rookie in the draft at Center. It never hurts to have too many linemen.

Let Go These Guys

Lehman, Losman, McIntyre, and Whittle.

As far as the restricted free agents, let go of Fox and Jenkins. Let Wilson fight it out for a roster spot. Hamdan is our third string quarterback for now and nothing more. DiGiorgio and Ellison should be backup linebackers and special teams players next year.

Scott has been hurt and from watching about 6 or 7 games in college he has way better athleticism than Chambers (I gave up 2 sacks in 3 plays vs. the Dolphins) to play LT.

So from watching 6 of his college games 3 years ago, you can conclude that with the slew of injuries and inability to stay healthy in the NFL, that he is better than a proven NFL backup? Interesting.

As for Bell I'd say about half the board could outbench him and he is not a guy who already had outstanding strength and athleticism like Peters did coming out of college. He's gonna need WAY more work than all the people around here think.

You obviously don't know Bell's M.O. Athletically, the guy is a freak for left tackle. You must also not have watched the preseason, when he pretty much shut down every DE he faced and the Bills were FORCED to put him on the 53 man roster. Jauron came out and said they had planned to put him on the practice squad all along, but he had developed much quicker than they thought, and couldn't afford some other team picking him off the practice squad for nothing.

Scott (when healthy) has more athleticism to play LT, and showed promise with Detroit. I like him at LT more than Chambers, sure do. Yes, Bell does have athleticism, but not strength. I saw every preseason game and when he got extended time vs. Detroit, it was a very rough day for Bell. One more year and he may make an active roster, but IMO he nees TWO NFL offseason strength and conditioning programs to get strong enough.