Another ranking of most important needs for 2009...is Turk the key to

folz

Since we didn't get any (probably needed) changes in the front office or coaching staff,

here is my list of needs for 2009:

(In order of importance...flame away)

1. Center (The guy touches the ball every offensive play, he makes all the line calls,

he anchors the line...just ask any QB how important the center is to the offense.

Another reason for Center being first is that this may be one of the hardest ones to get,

there aren't a lot of great centers running around)

2. Turk needs to throw out what's left of the Fairchild/Jauron play-not-to-lose offense and

come up with a more aggressive offense that uses the talent we got (Lynch, Jackson, Evans),

and he needs to stand up to Jauron when he wants to be too conservative, without being

stupid of course (see The last Jets game). Then we just have to hope he becomes a good

coordinator, now that he has a year of experience under his belt. [i think Jauron's biggest

weakness as a head coach is not being able to choose good offensive coordinators and/or

handcuffing them to a conservative game plan.]

3. I debated between whether this should be 3 or 4, but I'll go with the pass rushing DE 3rd.

4. Almost was #3, but we do need to get a top strength and conditioning coordinator (Mularkey

may have done more damage to our team than Ralph or Donahoe by canning Rusty...imho

one of the biggest loses since losing Polian--including player loses).

5. As much as my heart might say, yeah trade Jason "I play for the Pro Bowl" Peters, we need

to sign him soon enough to make sure he participates in all off season training and is relatively

happy. (Maybe this is too low, but I'm still mad about his hold out and I think they'll pay him, but

if you're gonna do it for gods sake do it soon and get it over with)

6. Pass catching TE. Nuff said. Actually I need to say one more thing: Please Release Royal!

7. OLB...would go higher if we don't retain Crowell (not to say I'm sold on him or Mitchell, for

that matter, but we could probably get by with them).

8. Perry Fewell also needs to step up and instill an aggressive nature in his Defensive players.

Jauron doesn't seem like he could ever instill that killer instinct in others, so Perry has to step

up and get his guys fired up every game, give them a swagger and an attitude. Play the

strict dad/bad cop to Jauron's grandfatherly/good cop.

9. Experienced back-up QB.

Of course there are other areas we could upgrade or improve depth, but, I think if

the Bills accomplished most of those items, not saying they will, then Jauron could

be a successful coach next year.

So, probably the biggest question in my mind is can and will Turk come up with and call

a better, more aggressive offensive plan (and will Jauron allow it)?

[P.S. Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath for the strength and conditioning coach because they probably

won't make a change.]

Since we didn't get any (probably needed) changes in the front office or coaching staff,

2. Turk needs to throw out what's left of the Fairchild/Jauron play-not-to-lose offense and

come up with a more aggressive offense that uses the talent we got (Lynch, Jackson, Evans),

and he needs to stand up to Jauron when he wants to be too conservative, without being

stupid of course (see The last Jets game). Then we just have to hope he becomes a good

coordinator, now that he has a year of experience under his belt. [i think Jauron's biggest

weakness as a head coach is not being able to choose good offensive coordinators and/or

Turk Schonert started out the year with constant passing plays,mostly out of the shotgun. He rarely called PA passing plays,It wasn't until week 11 that he started using play action passing plays more often.

To me it almost seemed like a contest between Brian Schottenheimer the Jets OC, Josh McDaniels the Pats OC and Schonert on who could call more shotgun plays over the course of the season.

I can understand the reasoning behind the Pats calling shotgun with the better O-line and their starting RB's on IR our out for weeks. However, I don't understand Schottenheimer and Schonert calling shotgun and passing plays so often.

The Jets had one of the best ground games in the AFC and relied way to often on an older QB's arm,even at the end of the season when Farve was seriously hurting he still didn't let up on the passing and work that ground game,simply foolish. Stating that I'm hoping the NY Jets hire him for the HC job,they will be as bad off as the Bills per coaching. :unsure:

Conversely,the Bills had two young QB's still learning under a rookie OC and rookie QB coach. Schonert didn't start utilizing the running game to set up the passing game until very late in the season,even then he still tried to make the QB's win the game. Plus the fact that in critical game situations he called the most moronic plays,Jets-Pats, most notable.

Its a copy cat league and I can only hope Schonert is watching the Baltimore Ravens and the success they are having with a rookie QB mostly because they work the ground game so well to set up the passing game. That unbalanced O-line they utilize is unreal and the pounding they put on opponents is simply amazing. Opposing teams are so worn down by the 4th quarter they just don't want to tackle anyone.

Schonert promised to bring back the fullback and use them more often which he didn't do enough of IMO. Again,I'm hoping the bills go after a really good FA FB like L. Neal or T. Richardson and work him like the Ravens are doing.

1. Center (The guy touches the ball every offensive play, he makes all the line calls,

he anchors the line...just ask any QB how important the center is to the offense.

Another reason for Center being first is that this may be one of the hardest ones to get,

actually this is a great year to draft a center...if Bills grabbed any ony one of these 4: Max Unger, Alex Mack, Jonathan Luigs and Eric Wood, we would have a huge upgrade at center...thers 1 or 2 juniors, if they declare, that could be added to this list as well...theres a debate between the first 3 on my list as to who is the best C in this years draft...most have it in the order that I've written them...so what I'm saying is we could actually wait till round 3 to grab Luigs or wood and still be getting a huge upgrade...would we be getting the best center in the draft?, no but thats ok...I guess it all depends on how good you think the de's in round 2 would be to decide wether to go DEfirst or in round 2 or 3....I think Buffalos FO is going to have a hard time deciding which order to get DE,C,TE and OLB in the first 4 rounds

The Jets had one of the best ground games in the AFC and relied way to often on an older QB's arm,even at the end of the season when Farve was seriously hurting he still didn't let up on the passing and work that ground game,simply foolish. Stating that I'm hoping the NY Jets hire him for the HC job,they will be as bad off as the Bills per coaching.

I would call this on Favre over the jets OC...IMHO, Favre is just like Manning in how he does what he wants more then what his OC says to do...Favre doesnt seem to care wether your open or if you have 3 defenders on you..If he wants to throw it to you hes going to..

I would call this on Favre over the jets OC...IMHO, Favre is just like Manning in how he does what he wants more then what his OC says to do...Favre doesnt seem to care wether your open or if you have 3 defenders on you..If he wants to throw it to you hes going to..

From what I've read about the Jets this past year is that their OC calls the plays and Farve can audible out if needed, but mostly they stick to whats called. If you go back and watch the highlights or games you see Farve in shotgun formation as often as Trent Edwards was.

The Jet fans were complaining about the OC calling a shotgun on 3 down and one and actually had Farve throw it and it went incomplete,which reminded me of the Bills at Pats where Schonert did the same thing three times.none made a first down. The Jet fans were also complaining that Jones and Washington didn't see the ball very often,sound familiar?

From what I've read about the Jets this past year is that their OC calls the plays and Farve can audible out if needed, but mostly they stick to whats called. If you go back and watch the highlights or games you see Farve in shotgun formation as often as Trent Edwards was.

The Jet fans were complaining about the OC calling a shotgun on 3 down and one and actually had Farve throw it and it went incomplete,which reminded me of the Bills at Pats where Schonert did the same thing three times.none made a first down. The Jet fans were also complaining that Jones and Washington didn't see the ball very often,sound familiar?

so ur saying schonert is sitting at home calling plays for both Buffalo and the Jets... :worthy:

I'm not sure how much of the passing game failures was due to Turk's play design/calling and how much it was to do with Trent not wanting to throw the ball down-field. In the first 6 games Turk looked like an offensive genius with is aggressive play calling. I remember long sideline routes to Evans almost every game. After game 6 that all stopped and it became a pass to the running backs offense. I think in large part to Trent. If we could get a real QB who's not afraid to throw the ball down-field and is more experienced and savvy, I think Turk's IQ would go up about 25 points.

3. I debated between whether this should be 3 or 4, but I'll go with the pass rushing DE 3rd.

4. Almost was #3, but we do need to get a top strength and conditioning coordinator (Mularkey

may have done more damage to our team than Ralph or Donahoe by canning Rusty...imho

one of the biggest loses since losing Polian--including player loses).

5. As much as my heart might say, yeah trade Jason "I play for the Pro Bowl" Peters, we need

to sign him soon enough to make sure he participates in all off season training and is relatively

happy. (Maybe this is too low, but I'm still mad about his hold out and I think they'll pay him, but

if you're gonna do it for gods sake do it soon and get it over with)

6. Pass catching TE. Nuff said. Actually I need to say one more thing: Please Release Royal!

7. OLB...would go higher if we don't retain Crowell (not to say I'm sold on him or Mitchell, for

that matter, but we could probably get by with them).

8. Perry Fewell also needs to step up and instill an aggressive nature in his Defensive players.

Jauron doesn't seem like he could ever instill that killer instinct in others, so Perry has to step

up and get his guys fired up every game, give them a swagger and an attitude. Play the

strict dad/bad cop to Jauron's grandfatherly/good cop.

9. Experienced back-up QB.

Of course there are other areas we could upgrade or improve depth, but, I think if

the Bills accomplished most of those items, not saying they will, then Jauron could

be a successful coach next year.

So, probably the biggest question in my mind is can and will Turk come up with and call

a better, more aggressive offensive plan (and will Jauron allow it)?

[P.S. Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath for the strength and conditioning coach because they probably

won't make a change.]

passrushing DE 1st...otherwise in agreement

I'm not sure how much of the passing game failures was due to Turk's play design/calling and how much it was to do with Trent not wanting to throw the ball down-field. In the first 6 games Turk looked like an offensive genius with is aggressive play calling. I remember long sideline routes to Evans almost every game. After game 6 that all stopped and it became a pass to the running backs offense. I think in large part to Trent. If we could get a real QB who's not afraid to throw the ball down-field and is more experienced and savvy, I think Turk's IQ would go up about 25 points.

I think you are dead on here. TE was a different QB starting in game 7. Once the turnover/mistake fest started, he seemed to withdraw and certainly did not play with the same confidence, waiting for recievers to open instead of throwing with confidence based on the play design. This lack of confident play by the QB kills the offense and forced the ultimate regression to a run first and dink/dunk pass offense. In the first 6 games, plenty of downfield and over the middle medium throws; after that, TE refused to throw those routes. All the histeria over Turk boils down to poor QB play mostly. I am sure he made some rookie mistakes, but he had to adjust midstream to a suddenly underperforming and under confident QB. Better QB play equals better offense, plain and simple. The Bills are simply not built or schemed like the Ravens. While it could be argued we should have followed a more conservative attack philosposhy from the beginning, the fact is the offense was built on the assumption that TE could execute it, and he simply could not after the first 6 games. Any coordinator would have looked foolish with the inept QB play we experienced in the second half. In the first 6 games (discounting the AZ game where we had to play JP) the Turk looked like a genious.

so ur saying schonert is sitting at home calling plays for both Buffalo and the Jets... :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is both the Jets offensive coordinator and the Bills have a lot in common,more then just being OC's. They both neglect the running game in favor of constant shotgun play calls and passing in many situations.

What I'm saying is both the Jets offensive coordinator and the Bills have a lot in common,more then just being OC's. They both neglect the running game in favor of constant shotgun play calls and passing in many situations.

I know what you where saying..I was just busting your balls :lol:

Pass rushing DE is number 1 priority by far. This defense can not stand up to a pocket passer that has all day to throw. It is the most glaring need. We only had 24 sacks last year which is near the bottom of the league. Next year we face some of the best quarterbacks in the league. There is no way we make the playoffs unless we put constant pressure on the QB. See NY Giants against Brady in last year's Super Bowl.