This is what Bill Polian would do

Got_Wood

With respect to the original poster, that is still not a winning team. Not with next year's schedule and Jauron as coach it isn't.

Still average at LB. No pass rush whatsoever. No help in the interior for Stroud. No good option if Edwards continues his regression and isn't the answer. Offensive line is still mediocre.

Please save the too tough of schedule crap. I am tired of hearing about it. Noone has a clue how any team is going to do next year. In 07' baltimore was 3-13, Miami was 1-15, Atlanta I believe was 4-12, Carolina was 7-9 I believe, Arizona was 8-8, they all made the playoffs this year. I agree that this team is not a playoff team next year with these moves, but not because of the schedule, because they have Dick Moron as a coach.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish to Lions for #20 pick, 3rd round pick, and Jon Kitna

If we traded peters alone for those picks and Kitna, I would think we would be getting robbed. But Parrish? Why don't you give them Lee Evans too? The Lions have the top pick, why wouldnt you ask that?

I think the peters situation is simple. Dont trade him unless you get two 1sts. Maybe budge on a high first and a 2nd. But if not, sign the guy.

Anything less would be robbery. But maybe they could get the top pick for peters...I think that could possibly be the only fair deal here.

Seriously doubt any of that will happen though.

I stopped reading when you had the Bills draft a wide receiver with their first pick. :unsure:

The team has so many other pressing needs, it angers me that you think if they draft a wide receiver, their problems will suddenly be fixed.

We desperately need the following:

DEFENSIVE END

CENTER

TIGHT END

LINEBACKER

Those positions should be the priority. Not a wide receiver who won't make a damn of a difference, especially if we aren't sure the quarterback is good enough to get him the ball.

I cant see Polian trading away the franchise LT that protects his QB. Although Parrish is a hell of a return man, I think we can part ways with him for a lower draft pick, maybe a 5th......

Maclin is a good WR, but the one kid I think we can steal in later rounds is that Cosby kid from Texas, he had a huge game last night against Ohio St, and he set some records at Texas......But Maclin is good.

My only complaint is the DE situation, you dont have us addressing it until round 2. If we wait that long we are F'd. We need to make a move in FA or with the first pick. I wouldnt mind seeing a DE in FA, and the best DE in the 2nd round.

I actually only waited until the 20th pick of the 1st round to draft a DE. There is no clear cut 2nd best DE in this draft after Orakpo, and I think there will still be great options on the board.

I stopped reading when you had the Bills draft a wide receiver with their first pick. :unsure:

The team has so many other pressing needs, it angers me that you think if they draft a wide receiver, their problems will suddenly be fixed.

I kind of thought people would react that way. I even didn't think it would be a good idea until I thought about it more. We need a playmaker added to this offense badly. A speedy game changing type. Maclin could be VERY good.

AND we can't go out and get an expensive WR in free agency. We're already paying Evans a lot.

PLUS, with the second 1st round pick, we get the DE we need and then our Center in round 2.

Assuming he couldn't do anything with the coaches:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a winning team.

Ummm....That assumption, IMHO of coarse, kinda trumps the other assumption that all those moves make a winning Team...You saw what happened in Dallas this Year...Talent does not equal Playoffs, and Coaching can have a HUGE impact on it...Now add to that the fact that Dead Dick is a career loser and I'm not sure how anyone can assume The Bills will win with him as the HC regardless of what they do to improve this Teams Talent...He's going to have to prove it...Cause the odds right now are 1 for to 7 against that He can Coach a winning NFL Football Team for a single Season... :unsure:

That's why we would draft Everette Brown/Greg Hardy, as I mentioned.

Take a closer look at the lineup and you'll see that 3 playmakers were added to the defense (Atogwe, Crowell, and Brown), and 2 playmakers added to the offense (Maclin, Rucker).

The o-line and d-line are solidified, the backup QB is set, and the FB position is finally filled with a quality blocker.

I like it a lot.

If you're building the D line for the future, then Everette Brown/Greg Hardy would be a nice addition. But rookies very rarely make an immediate pass rush impact. If they want to improve next season, I think they need to bring in a veteren end that can get to the QB...

If you're building the D line for the future, then Everette Brown/Greg Hardy would be a nice addition. But rookies very rarely make an immediate pass rush impact. I still think they need to bring in a veteren end that can get to the QB, if they want to improve next season...

Can't do everything in one offseason- we are rebuilding nd it will take multiple offseasons

Ummm....That assumption, IMHO of coarse, kinda trumps the other assumption that all those moves make a winning Team...You saw what happened in Dallas this Year...Talent does not equal Playoffs, and Coaching can have a HUGE impact on it...Now add to that the fact that Dead Dick is a career loser and I'm not sure how anyone can assume The Bills will win with him as the HC regardless of what they do to improve this Teams Talent...He's going to have to prove it...Cause the odds right now are 1 for to 7 against that He can Coach a winning NFL Football Team for a single Season... :unsure:

If you look at this roster, we really don't have a ton of game changing players like the Giants, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Titans, and others do. The Cowboys aren't as talented as they appear to be. They get lots of hype from the media, and a lot of it is unwarranted. They have terrible safeties, an overrated d-line, and a turnover prone QB.

While you're definitely right about the coach being a huge difference maker... we don't have that option right now. So we might as well get ourselves some players.

If you're building the D line for the future, then Everette Brown/Greg Hardy would be a nice addition. But rookies very rarely make an immediate pass rush impact. If they want to improve next season, I think they need to bring in a veteren end that can get to the QB...

Yeah, I'm still hoping that Schobel comes back with a vengence next season trying to prove something. With us drafting a 1st round DE, that should provide some fuel for the fire. But that's just my blind Buffalo faith speaking...

Can't do everything in one offseason- we are rebuilding nd it will take multiple offseasons

Yes, I hear the 10th year of the rebuilding process is the charm...

Yeah, I'm still hoping that Schobel comes back with a vengence next season trying to prove something. With us drafting a 1st round DE, that should provide some fuel for the fire. But that's just my blind Buffalo faith speaking...

I like your optimism and I hope the team looks as good next year as you propose.... :unsure:

If you look at this roster, we really don't have a ton of game changing players like the Giants, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Titans, and others do. The Cowboys aren't as talented as they appear to be. They get lots of hype from the media, and a lot of it is unwarranted. They have terrible safeties, an overrated d-line, and a turnover prone QB.

While you're definitely right about the coach being a huge difference maker... we don't have that option right now. So we might as well get ourselves some players.

You are 100% right about Dallas not being as talented as we are led to believe. Their offensive line isn't that good, they try to pacify their overhyped WR's by spreading the ball around too much and Owens has lost more than a step. Maybe they can get an impact player since they missed the playoffs.....oh wait, their GM traded their picks away- the Roy Williams trade is as bad as Minnesota's trade for Hershel Walker.

Wade Phillips is fine- Jerry Jones needs to get out of the way!

Free Agency:

Angelo Crowell - Why? Because he is a known quantity, he's a great tackler, he has a nose for the football, he knows our players and our scheme, and he will come cheaper than most linebackers in free agency. He tends to have contain issues at times, but this is a HUGE upgrade over ellison.

Oshiomogho Atogwe – Great free agent grab here fortifies our secondary alongside Whitner.

Trades:

Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish to Lions for #20 pick, 3rd round pick, and Jon Kitna - I know this is getting old talking about this, but don't let it get old. Peters sabotaged the team last season by holding out, has a terrible attitude ("Getting to Hawaii is why we play the game"), and he can get us a great trade in return. We move Walker to LT and Chambers to right tackle. Plus we have Demetrius Bell who showed great promise last season. Parrish hasn’t been utilized enough here to merit his contract. Kitna could be an excellent backup for Trent going forward, and could step in and play well if Trent went down.

Sign and trade Jabari Greer to Browns for Martin Rucker and 3rd round pick – I know Greer showed lots of promise for us last season, but TE is one of our biggest needs. McKelvin can step in now in his spot, and Corner and Youboty will be there as well. Rucker was injured early last season, but has a ton of upside. He is the one dimensional pass catching TE we need with Fine being our solid all around guy.

Draft:

Round 1 (1st pick) – Jeremy Maclin WR - real threat opposite Lee Evans.

Round 1 (2nd pick) – Everette Brown/Greg Hardy/Tyson Jackson (Best DE available) - Develop our DE of the future and get him in the rotation to make a difference right away.

Round 2 - Alex Mack/Max Unger/Jonathan Luigs (Best C available) - Center will fortify this o-line.

Round 3 (1st pick) – Alex Magee DT - More help in the rotation for Williams, Stroud, and Johnson.

Round 3 (2nd pick) – Trevor Canfield/Craig Urbik (Best OG available) - depth at OG that we need.

Round 4 – Chase Daniel QB - late value pick and potential future QB should anything happen to Trent.

Round 5 – Brannan Southerland FB - we've needed help here for a long time.

2009 Starting Lineup

Offense:

QB: Trent Edwards / Jon Kitna / Chase Daniel

WR1: Lee Evans / Steve Johnson

WR2: Jeremy Maclin / Josh Reed / James Hardy

TE: Martin Rucker / Derek Fine / Derek Schouman

RB: Marshawn Lynch / Fred Jackson / Xavier Omon

FB: Brannan Southerland

LT: Langston Walker / Demetrius Bell

LG: Derrick Dockery / Trevor Canfield

C: Alex Mack / Duke Preston

RG: Brad Butler / Duke Preston

RT: Kirk Chambers / Demetrius Bell

Defense:

CB: Terrence McGee / Ashton Youboty

CB2: Leodis McKelvin / Reggie Corner

SS: Oshiomogho Atogwe / Bryan Scott

FS: Donte Whitner / Ko Simpson

SLB: Kawika Mitchell / Alvin Bowen

MLB: Paul Posluszny / John Digiorgio

WLB: Angelo Crowell / Keith Ellison

DE: Aaron Schobel / Everette Brown

DT: Kyle Williams / Alex Magee

DT: Marcus Stroud / Spencer Johnson

DE: Chris Kelsay / Chris Ellis

What I would do is believe it or not is trade Marshawn Lynch for Anquan Boldin. I would take Bennie Wells in the First round, he and Fred Jackson can do the same job the Marshawn and Fred are doing now. The Bills are not going to draft a reciever who is this kind of player. Arizona needs a running back, Steve Breaston is ready to become a number two reciever.

I agree to trade Jason Peters, not because he is not a good player but because Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery still make more money than he does and will continue to, so I don't know how happy he'll be in the future knowing that. Get all you can for a pro bowler and continue to use the draft to sure up your offensive and defensive lines. The tight end situation is a lot more complicated, I would bulk up James Hardy, he seems like he will be able to get open if a LB or a safety is covering him since he can't get open against corners. Just a thought.

Yes, I hear the 10th year of the rebuilding process is the charm...

I like your optimism and I hope the team looks as good next year as you propose.... :unsure:

Thats what happens when you keep changing things over and over again- there is no continuity and things get disjointed. This team has no semblence or order and is going nowhere fast

Free Agency:

Angelo Crowell - Why? Because he is a known quantity, he's a great tackler, he has a nose for the football, he knows our players and our scheme, and he will come cheaper than most linebackers in free agency. He tends to have contain issues at times, but this is a HUGE upgrade over ellison.

Oshiomogho Atogwe – Great free agent grab here fortifies our secondary alongside Whitner.

Trades:

Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish to Lions for #20 pick, 3rd round pick, and Jon Kitna - I know this is getting old talking about this, but don't let it get old. Peters sabotaged the team last season by holding out, has a terrible attitude ("Getting to Hawaii is why we play the game"), and he can get us a great trade in return. We move Walker to LT and Chambers to right tackle. Plus we have Demetrius Bell who showed great promise last season. Parrish hasn’t been utilized enough here to merit his contract. Kitna could be an excellent backup for Trent going forward, and could step in and play well if Trent went down.

Sign and trade Jabari Greer to Browns for Martin Rucker and 3rd round pick – I know Greer showed lots of promise for us last season, but TE is one of our biggest needs. McKelvin can step in now in his spot, and Corner and Youboty will be there as well. Rucker was injured early last season, but has a ton of upside. He is the one dimensional pass catching TE we need with Fine being our solid all around guy.

Draft:

Round 1 (1st pick) – Jeremy Maclin WR - I know some won't like this pick, but this guy would be a real threat opposite Lee Evans. This guy is loaded with talent, AND could return punts in place of Roscoe.

Round 1 (2nd pick) – Everette Brown/Greg Hardy/Tyson Jackson (Best DE available) - Develop our DE of the future and get him in the rotation to make a difference right away.

Round 2 - Alex Mack/Max Unger/Jonathan Luigs (Best C available) - Center will fortify this o-line.

Round 3 (1st pick) – Alex Magee DT - More help in the rotation for Williams, Stroud, and Johnson.

Round 3 (2nd pick) – Trevor Canfield/Craig Urbik (Best OG available) - depth at OG that we need.

Round 4 – Chase Daniel QB - late value pick and potential future QB should anything happen to Trent.

Round 5 – Brannan Southerland FB - we've needed help here for a long time.

2009 Starting Lineup

Offense:

QB: Trent Edwards / Jon Kitna / Chase Daniel

WR1: Lee Evans / Steve Johnson

WR2: Jeremy Maclin / Josh Reed / James Hardy

TE: Martin Rucker / Derek Fine / Derek Schouman

RB: Marshawn Lynch / Fred Jackson / Xavier Omon

FB: Brannan Southerland

LT: Langston Walker / Demetrius Bell

LG: Derrick Dockery / Trevor Canfield

C: Alex Mack / Duke Preston

RG: Brad Butler / Duke Preston

RT: Kirk Chambers / Demetrius Bell

Defense:

CB: Terrence McGee / Ashton Youboty

CB2: Leodis McKelvin / Reggie Corner

SS: Oshiomogho Atogwe / Bryan Scott

FS: Donte Whitner / Ko Simpson

SLB: Kawika Mitchell / Alvin Bowen

MLB: Paul Posluszny / John Digiorgio

WLB: Angelo Crowell / Keith Ellison

DE: Aaron Schobel / Everette Brown

DT: Kyle Williams / Alex Magee

DT: Marcus Stroud / Spencer Johnson

DE: Chris Kelsay / Chris Ellis

Yea! another poster who ACTUALLY puts some thought into his post! Good Job! Not that I agree with everything. We HAVE TO HAVE a real DE in this FA AND DRAFT! YES 2 NEW PLAYERS.

Good job though

Another thing.... Since when is Polian the bar for excelency at GM? He has a great qb and recievers but the rest of the team is seriously lacking. Not a very well rounded team. I like the chargers balance better.

Remember Polian drafted Reggie Wayne to go along with Marvin Harrison.

Jeremy Maclin is potentially a Reggie Wayne type of player. With an offense that is in desperate need of playmakers, we take this guy. Especially if we have another 1st round pick to take a Defensive end. Free agents are too expensive if you want a big play WR. Guys like TJ Housh will never end up here when we're paying big money for Evans.

Maclin's good, I agree, but he's not what we'd need at the 11th pick....or even late in the first round if that happened. There's plenty of depth at WR with Evans, Reed, Hardy, & Johnson, even you trade away Roscoe. Plus, he's a redshirt sophomore - I doubt he's declaring for the draft, unless you've heard otherwise.

Depending on how late in the first round the second pick would be, I wouldn't be terribly confident that a *game-changing* pass rusher is still available...be it Maualuga, Everette Brown, or Aaron Maybin...and that's a glaring need, IMO.