ED REED

Stl Bills

I'm starting to think so, the guy is an absolute game changer and his 10 or 11 picks in the last 7 games single handedly put Baltimore in the Divisional Playoffs. I'm a huge fan of Ed Reed, love watching him play. Is he the best Safety ever to play in the NFL?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think so, the guy is an absolute game changer and his 10 or 11 picks in the last 7 games single handedly put Baltimore in the Divisional Playoffs. I'm a huge fan of Ed Reed, love watching him play. Is he the best Safety ever to play in the NFL?

Since the advent of new rules passed to open up the passing game, I'd say yes. He's the best I've seen at FS. And I say that knowing full well he's benefitted from one of the best front sevens and very good corners over the years. But he still had to make those plays and the consistency with which he turns his plays into scores is amazing. He gets my vote.

GO BILLS!!!

Better than Ronnie Lott? Lott was an interception guru as well, getting 63 in his career (reed currently has 43) but he was also a tackler. Lott had over 100 tackles 5 times, while Reed has never done so. He actually only had 41 tackles this year.

Better than Ronnie Lott? Lott was an interception guru as well, getting 63 in his career (reed currently has 43) but he was also a tackler. Lott had over 100 tackles 5 times, while Reed has never done so. He actually only had 41 tackles this year.

Holy Crap, didn't realize Ronnie Lott had that many pics, not to mention you get bonus points for snapping off part of your finger and going back into the game.

Yeah, it's tough to leave Lott out of the equation. But he played CB, FS, and SS and played a lot longer to reach those INT numbers. I've never seen a better hitting DB, that's for sure. It just seems that Reed not only gets the turnover but he scores on an inordinate amount of them. And it's hard for me to compare players of different eras. I'll just say Reed is 1a and Lott is 1b.

As for safety tandems, I'd have to go with Atwater and Smith of the Broncos. They allowed those Denver defenses to do lots of different things. What they did to Kelly and the K-gun in the AFC championship game was amazing.

GO BILLS!!!

How many years was Lott a CB & how many of those Ints. came at that position? I can't remember how long he was at corner before switching to the safety positions.

Regarding the tackles...could some of the reason be because the front 7 makes plays?

Bottom line...both were very very good. If you made me pick one I would take Lott but you can't go wrong there can you?

i'd say reed should definitely be considered in the discussion. Not only is he a playmaking, ballhawking safety, but he's scored an amazing eleven touchdowns in his career...

more likely than not, he's going to own the career record for interception return yardage. basically, if he gets the ball in his hands on defense, he's probably going to score.