Defense

Defense wins games, watch the SD game last night. Watch the Miami game today, all teams involved play some pretty good defense, the likes of which the Nills haven't seen in a long, long time--probably since the days of Williams and Washington on the DL. The Nills defense is absolutely pathetic. No pass rush, no bump-and-run coverage. Only soft zones, and bend-but-don't-break. I want to see the entire draft and FA period dedicated to defense. if, somehow, the Nills can add something in the neighborhood of 15 sacks to the total next year and 10 or so more forced turnovers, I think they have a good shot at double-digit wins. Thoughts?

Defense wins games, watch the SD game last night. Watch the Miami game today, all teams involved play some pretty good defense, the likes of which the Nills haven't seen in a long, long time--probably since the days of Williams and Washington on the DL. The Nills defense is absolutely pathetic. No pass rush, no bump-and-run coverage. Only soft zones, and bend-but-don't-break. I want to see the entire draft and FA period dedicated to defense. if, somehow, the Nills can add something in the neighborhood of 15 sacks to the total next year and 10 or so more forced turnovers, I think they have a good shot at double-digit wins. Thoughts?

Yes, I'm glad we picked Whitner over that beast Ngata. Set our franchise back 10 years on top of the 5 years T.D. set us back by letting Phat Pat go. We should recover by 2019*. You would think after having Big Ted, Phat Pat, and Sam we would know that a great defense primarily starts with the nose tackle.

* :sick:

Yes, I'm glad we picked Whitner over that beast Ngata. Set our franchise back 10 years on top of the 5 years T.D. set us back by letting Phat Pat go. We should recover by 2019*. You would think after having Big Ted, Phat Pat, and Sam we would know that a great defense primarily starts with the nose tackle.

they made schobel look decent...look what happened to him after they left---he became noschobel

So much so that 6 qb's in the postseason had 20 tds or less. Defense not only wins championships. It wins games period

AFC QB's

Roethlisberger 17 tds

Pennington 19 tds

Kerry Collins 12 tds

Joe Flacco 14 tds

NFC QBS

Tavaris Jackson- 9 TDS

Jake Delhomme-15 tds

Outside of Manning/Rivers no qb was the direct reason his team made it to the post season. The easiest way to build a playoff team starts and ends with defense. Not the search for a so called "elite quarterback". By and large the qb play in this league is average. At the end of the day Defense and the run game mean everything.

I think the same thing everytime I watch that Kid play...He's a monster...The crazy thing is, most of the "experts" figured Ngata to the Bills was a no-brainer in 06...The Bills showed them did they not? No such thing as a no-brainer when you're trying to out-think yourself... :w00t:

I think the same thing everytime I watch that Kid play...He's a monster...The crazy thing is, most of the "experts" figured Ngata to the Bills was a no-brainer in 06...The Bills showed them did they not? No such thing as a no-brainer when you're trying to out-think yourself... :sick:

The Bills did the worst thing they could do in a draft -

they put themselves in a box by the personnel moves they made prior to the draft

by gutting the team of TD players, like Milloy, they forced themselves to take a S that could start from day 1.

thus they were taking Huff or Whitner in round 1 no matter who was available.

of course, the overall philophsy of making a S the centerpiece of your defense instead of a stud DT was flawed to begin with, but even with a flawed strategy, their execution of that strategy sucked as well.

Baltimore's Defense is just NASTY, they are mean, aggressive, fly to the ball and hit hard. I can't believe how many studs they have Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Ngata, Trevor Pryce, Terrell Suggs, if only their offense was alittle better they would be my Super Bowl pick this year.

Some good points in there. Defense does win championships. But our D was pretty good all year (by no means great). Whereas the O was more of a problem.

But you're right, most of our attention should be on the D.

DE is our number one need, so it should be our number one priority. Funny, the Cover 2 is contingent on pressuring the QB. The game is also won in the trenches, Stroud is great and I'm higher on Kyle Williams than most, but a later round DT wouldn't be a bad idea.

With all our cap room plus the cap due to increase, I'd really like to see the Bills take a serious run at Terrell Suggs and make him a big offer. Then still go DE with our 1st round pick, someone to groom for the near future, to rotate with the aging and apparently deteriorating Schobel.

If we can resign Crowell, which I think we will, the LB corps should be good enough for the season so long as Puz gets better.

Add in a good FS with range and suddenly we have a top-5 defense.

DE is our number one need, so it should be our number one priority. Funny, the Cover 2 is contingent on pressuring the QB. The game is also won in the trenches, Stroud is great and I'm higher on Kyle Williams than most, but a later round DT wouldn't be a bad idea.

Could you imagine a Haynesworth next to Stroud? That would do wonders for the run D and may even make our milquetoast DEs better.

Some good points in there. Defense does win championships. But our D was pretty good all year (by no means great). Whereas the O was more of a problem.

But you're right, most of our attention should be on the D.

With all our cap room plus the cap due to increase, I'd really like to see the Bills take a serious run at Terrell Suggs and make him a big offer. Then still go DE with our 1st round pick, someone to groom for the near future, to rotate with the aging and apparently deteriorating Schobel.

If we can resign Crowell, which I think we will, the LB corps should be good enough for the season so long as Puz gets better.

Add in a good FS with range and suddenly we have a top-5 defense.

i have been saying that almost all season. The Bills defence is good enough to be a playoff team, but they can't win the games on their own. Looking at the games this weekend, SD beat Indy because they had a good game defensively, but most importantly, the Colts defence couldn't stop Sproules, he ran all over Indy all night and couldn't be stopped. Baltimore has an incredible defence, but their offence is a good one too. Flacco has been a great QB for them, and they have a great running game where McGahee is considered a backup.

the only thing I do disagree on is that the Bills #1 priority is DE. There #1 priority is improving the offence. The Bills defence is good enough to hold teams to a low enough score for a decent offence to score enough points to win a game. Improving the defence is more of a luxury at this point with an offence that struggles to score 20 points a game.

i have been saying that almost all season. The Bills defence is good enough to be a playoff team, but they can't win the games on their own. Looking at the games this weekend, SD beat Indy because they had a good game defensively, but most importantly, the Colts defence couldn't stop Sproules, he ran all over Indy all night and couldn't be stopped. Baltimore has an incredible defence, but their offence is a good one too. Flacco has been a great QB for them, and they have a great running game where McGahee is considered a backup.

the only thing I do disagree on is that the Bills #1 priority is DE. There #1 priority is improving the offence. The Bills defence is good enough to hold teams to a low enough score for a decent offence to score enough points to win a game. Improving the defence is more of a luxury at this point with an offence that struggles to score 20 points a game.

The offense needs help, but the O-Line finally came together the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season. Signing Peters is important. A pass catching tight end will help tremendously. Trent's needs to keep getting better, while staying healthy.

But simply put, you cannot ignore the virtually non-existent pass rush. The lack of sacks should be a terrifying statistic to Bills fans.

I used to think our defense was pretty good, but I think their stats are inflated by this murderer's row of QBs:

Matt Hasselbeck with no WRs, David Garrard, JaMarcus Russell, Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner (scorched us), Phil Rivers, Matt Cassell, Old Man Favre, Chode Pennington, Brady Quinn, Tyler Thigpen, Sean Hill, Jay Cutler (scorched us).

The offense needs help, but the O-Line finally came together the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season. Signing Peters is important. A pass catching tight end will help tremendously. Trent's needs to keep getting better, while staying healthy.

But simply put, you cannot ignore the virtually non-existent pass rush. The lack of sacks should be a terrifying statistic to Bills fans.

They won't be ignoring it, they will be getting back hopefully a 100% Schobel next season, and like I said, with an offence thats a threat to score more then just FG's, the defence can play more aggressive and not have to worry about giving up some points cause the offence can't get those points back. I think the biggest reason why the defence didn't look better was because they were too affraid to get beat and give up points that they knew the offence couldn't get back. If the offence is a threat to score points,the defence won't have to continually try and pitch shutouts to keep the team in a game.