Another Jauron/Wilson column...

It's just a fan article. Anyone here could've written the same thing.

NBC just had a peice saying that there will be 4 top-notch coaches available after next season (Shanahan being one of them). Maybe Ralph is keeping Jauron around as a stop-gap for that crop of coaches?

i dont take anything that these "columnists" (read: internet poster with their own page) to be big news or an expert's opinion.

these guys are just guessing at things like the posters found here, and they also have motivation to say things a lot of people will read.

i dont think there is much to disagree with in his article (read: thread posting), but there is nothing new in it either.

however, i like that it's a bit more rational and thought out than what we've been seeing lately. :worthy:

NBC just had a peice saying that there will be 4 top-notch coaches available after next season (Shanahan being one of them). Maybe Ralph is keeping Jauron around as a stop-gap for that crop of coaches?

Yes and no. It was written for a fan site, but Tyler actually is a sportswriter who used to work for a friend of mine.

Yeah that's true. Always good to hear some opinion on what happens. I go to that site to check out stuff after the fact like that. Where did this kid write before Lori?

Started out at the OTH when he was still in high school. I thought he was another intern from St. Bonaventure at first, until I read a prep football gamer with his name in it (instead of on it), because Chuck was already trusting him to write the occasional column. Good voice for someone so young.

He's still at Newhouse (Syracuse j-school), but I think he graduates this spring ... and if there are any jobs to be had out there, someone would be smart to give him a chance.

Honestly Fez, do you really think Ralph will pay for a top name coach in Buffalo?

Awesome piece. Heck, all I had to do was see which posters were attacking it, to know it was right on the money.

Exactly--I saw this quote: "Anybody that truly believes Jauron is the right man for the job is probably also waiting patiently for J.P. Losman to develop."

Then I thought--that's about 60% of this board.

Honestly Fez, do you really think Ralph will pay for a top name coach in Buffalo?

I don't think that Miami, Baltimore, or Atlanta are paying top dollar for coaches right now. Money is not the key issue. The issue is that the current decision makers cannot identify strong candidates for the coaching position. Decisions are being based on the comfort-level our ancient owner has with the current hires, without a whole lot of thought being placed upon competence.

Exactly--I saw this quote: "Anybody that truly believes Jauron is the right man for the job is probably also waiting patiently for J.P. Losman to develop."

Then I thought--that's about 60% of this board.

I'll put any amount of money down that at this point next year Ralph Wilson is not the owner of the Buffalo Bills...

I don't think that Miami, Baltimore, or Atlanta are paying top dollar for coaches right now. Money is not the key issue. The issue is that the current decision makers cannot identify strong candidates for the coaching position. Decisions are being based on the comfort-level our ancient owner has with the current hires, without a whole lot of thought being placed upon competence.

True...And the comfort level of the Organization as a whole...

I mean...Just look at what we have...A HC who has 3 consecutive 7-9 Seasons under his belt in Buffalo, and one winning Season in eight as a Head Coach overall...The Head of our Scouting Department is basically a Part Timer who has negotiated comfort level into his position allowing him to live in Fla...He turned down a Job that would have given him a bigger role in the Organization...Think John Butler and Bill Polian lived in Buffalo when they were Heading up Scouting? A Chief Operating Officer who is not an NFL Guy and never was a Scout...An Owner who's attention is so squarly on the bottom line that he refuses to buy out a Coach who's approval rating makes George W. look like the winner of American Idol...The same Coach who led a historic collapse finishing the season on a blazing 2-8 streak...The same Coach who lost 2 HOME Games to Teams that will be Drafting in the Top 10 next April...

And oh, by the way, the Bills are heading directly towards of a decade without a Playoff appearence...They have a perennial NFL power in their Division who MISSED the Playoffs with an 11-5 Record...The Team that Won The AFC East is being run by one of the best minds in The NFL...And all 3 AFC East Rivals finished above .500 in 08...Next up...The NFC South in 09!!! So why not stay the mediocre course right? No need for drastic measures in this cakewalk Division with an easy 09 Schedule right?...Right... :worthy:

It's a mess...A mess that is starting to look an awful lot like a Team that is headed towards being one of those NFL "afterthought" Franchises...You know the ones...The Bungals, The Lions, The Raiders...The Teams that are there so the good Teams have someone to beat on Sunday...

I'll say this much...If keeping Jauron works out Ralph is definitely a genius because it pretty much bucks anything even remotely considered conventional wisdom...It's a bad gamble though, especially after what we saw this Year from Atlanta, Miami, and Baltimore...Winning in The NFL is actually not that hard when you have the right (not necessarily the highest paid) Folks in charge with a single objective of doing the tough things, not the most comfortable things, in order to be successful....:P