Why is Matt Millen on Football Night in America?

Steely Dan

Matt Millen  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What thing would be better than Millen in the studio

• A pile of dung
    • A box of rocks
    • A grain of sand
    • Incessant crowing from a chicken
    • A bucket of dead fish
    • Anything and I do mean anything else!!

Although he did suck like dog excrement as a GM in Detroit, before that he was one of the better commentators on tv, which actually led to him getting the job to begin with, with no experience in management. His best move would have been to stay in the booth to begin with, but a big paycheck often puts common sense out the back door.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is Matt Millen on Football Night in America?, Why is he breaking down the game?

because they dont think the 27 other people they have on the show is enough

is it me or is Bob Costas about as interesting as watching paint dry

Stupidity? I think that's harsh.

People don't remember Matt Millen for his playing days and the Super Bowl rings he has, people remember him for the debacle he's responsible for in Detroit.

People remember guys like Emmitt Smith and Jarome Bettis for their playing days and both have Super Bowl rings as well.

There's a difference.

Yah, again I'm not arguing any of this. If "people remembering ___ in a positive light" is your criteria for a good analyst, that's great. I feel differently, and it has nothing to do with "low standards".

That's why he was offensive to me,what could that clown say that would be worth listening to? I turned off the volume while waiting for the game to start.

Whatl I remember of him is what Steve Mariucci stated about him,as the head coach with the scouts and draft crew for the Lions,they would be going over draft picks and he would ignore all their advice and take whomever he wanted. Mariucci was about as handcuffed a coach as there ever will be in a system. He brought Mariucci into the Lions to fix/help Joey Harrington another of Millen's first round draft busts.

Why the owner of the lions hired him with no previous front office experience whatsoever and paid him 5 mill a year still remains a mystery to many,he was a broadcast announcer for games previous to working for the Lions.

The Detroit PD should arrest him and charge him with Grand Larceny. :P

For the record, I do agree with you. I trust his analysis and opinion as much as I do my dog's.

It's a good thing your dog can't read because if he could you'd be in the Emergency Room right now for insulting him like that. :worthy:

I'm not questioning that lots of people are going to react that way, which is why I as NBC wouldn't hire him. I am questioning the stupidity of such a reaction.

If you want to take him less seriously than Emmitt Smith (or just about any other analyst) because no owner was dumb enough to hire them to draft/build a team, then that's your prerogative. I don't happen to share that.

You had to pull his name out. (Good job identifying a moron with a mic, btw. :worthy: )

You have Matt Millen, then you throw in Keith Olberdung, one of the more disgusting personalities on TV, to offset Costas and Bettis.

Not sure what NBC is doing. Maybe they could add in Donohue and Wade Phillips.

I think they need about 16 more ex-NFL faces on their show to get more analysis. (Where's Tiki?)

The skill set is different. That's obvious. That's not the point. It's about credibility.

The fact that "numerous HOF player/coach analysts who never have anything interesting to say" means nothing.

As I mentioned, credibility plays a role in this. Nobody watching the show cares about what Millen has to say. Unless you do. And if you do, you seriously have low standards. Most people watching the show are likely asking themselves, what is this man doing in this position, even if he has done it before and has the ability to communicate effectively. Quite simply, he's a joke.

It seems many people have forgotten that Millen was a hall-of-fame caliber player who won a number of Super Bowls. His whole career is not encapsulated by his GM gig.

I guess they couldn't find any people with any football knowledge. They'd be better off with Beerball in the studio. :D

But, Millen is a bone fide football guy!

Maybe he should be the Bills GM, instead of their current GM-by-committee everyone is so down on.

It seems many people have forgotten that Millen was a hall-of-fame caliber player who won a number of Super Bowls. His whole career is not encapsulated by his GM gig.

Not so fast. Just because Millen got himself fired before the 0-16 got posted doesn't mean the stench of that debacle and the misery he put on the Lions coaches, players, and fans should simply be forgotten because he happened to be on a Bill Walsh team once upon a time. Millen is the primary reason the Lions of 2008 are the worst team ever in the NFL.

Again, I wouldn't give the Super Bowl victories to Millen. He did play on a TEAM that won a number of SB games, and he performed at a high level.

But, back to the topic at hand, I don't know that there is a high correlation between being an excellent football player and being a good GM, Coach or to someone having the ability to effectively communicate elements of the game to a TV audience.

Matt Millen: :D

Architect of the worst NFL team of all time.

for as bad as Millen was as GM-

he does have much more football knowledge than our top guy - a converted baseball marketer.

not to mention- even Millen was not dumb enough to start a vendetta against his best player

But, back to the topic at hand, I don't know that there is a high correlation between being an excellent football player and being a good GM, Coach or to someone having the ability to effectively communicate elements of the game to a TV audience.

Precisely the reason Emmitt Smith shouldn't be on TV.

I actually thought Millen was one of the best analysts on TV while he was there. He knew the Xs & Os and was able to effectively communicate that to the audience. Not many remember that, since it was about 7-8 years ago (??).

As a GM, he was the polar opposite. Putting him on any TV pre or postgame show is a horrible PR move, despite how much he may know about the Xs and Os of the game.