Edwards and the Offseason

I want your opinions

1. Do you think Edwards should pack on another 10 pounds of muscle like he did last season?

2. Will the Bills ever figure out the 3-4 Defense. Will we pick up a Safety blitz for once in 2009?!

3. Will we pick Gresham, Brown, or a center in the draft? I want Gresham (spelling?)

4. Will we pick up a big WR in FA or even get one in the draft? I'm not a fan of Roscoe in the slot to be honest.

5. Can Steve Johnson ever be a #2?

I want your opinions

1. Do you think Edwards should pack on another 10 pounds of muscle like he did last season?

2. Will the Bills ever figure out the 3-4 Defense. Will we pick up a Safety blitz for once in 2009?!

3. Will we pick Gresham, Brown, or a center in the draft? I want Gresham (spelling?)

4. Will we pick up a big WR in FA or even get one in the draft? I'm not a fan of Roscoe in the slot to be honest.

1) No. Both of his injuries had nothing to do with his size.

2) Considering how prominent the 3-4 defense is around the league, we'd better figure it out soon. That's on Trents shoulders.

3) Anything's possible. It all depends on who is available at the time we draft in the first few rounds. Center is a definite need, but so is tight end, defensive end, free safety and linebacker.

4) No, we already did that last off-season. Giving up on James Hardy this early would be silly. We could pick someone up but it won't be an early round pick or a blockbuster free agent, I'm guessing.

5) I personally like the kid and think he could be a steal but there are some questions you have to answer before you can answer that.

Will Trent distribute the ball enough to Steve to give him a chance of being a #2 receiver? Trent has his favorites and it wasn't until late in the season that Johnson got some looks.

Will the coaching staff give him an honest chance of being a #2 receiver? Remember, James Hardy will always get first dibs until they absolutely give up on him. I haven't seen a lot of Steve, but the few games that I have seen him play in, he's done pretty well for himself. He could turn out to be another find, much like Greer and Jackson have become.

I want your opinions

1. yes and he needs to find out how to keep that muscle and strength through the whole season you can tell he lost weight as the season went on, I bet he was down to 210 by the end.

2. Jason Brown C and Chris Kemoeatu G would do wonders.

3. Who we take in the draft will depend on FA and who's available at our pick - DE, C, TE, LB, DT, and S are all needs

4. The Bill's will want to see if Hardy or Johnson can step up

5. The book on Steve Johnson is he lacks great speed or huge size- he has very good hands, is strong, runs good routes, and so on- he has a lot of the same qualities as Josh Reed but he is 4 inches taller- I think he could be a pretty good #2 but can he beat out Reeds experience or Hardy's status as a 2nd round pick- I doubt it - unless injuries force the Bills hand like with Greer.

I want your opinions

1. Couldn't hurt, but I'd rather see him learn how to throw it to the receiver and not the defender.

2. The Bills ran roughshod over the Jets and Patriots the second time they faced them in 2008, the 3-4 isn't the problem. The problem is that divisional opponents know from history how easy it is to game plan against Dick Jauron, so they make us look silly. San Diego runs a 3-4 and Buffalo had no problem beating them.

3. No, they'll probably pick a safety or some other position that can't as easily impact the game.

4. No, they'll probably just talk up Josh Reed, Steve Johnson, Derek Fine, Derek Schouman, and James Hardy and expect everyone to buy into it.

5. Definitely not without a good quarterback. With a good QB? Maybe, but I'd sure like to see him make more than one catch per game before I'm ready to annoint him a #3, let alone a #2.

1. Couldn't hurt, but I'd rather see him learn how to throw it to the receiver and not the defender.

2. The Bills ran roughshod over the Jets and Patriots the second time they faced them in 2008, the 3-4 isn't the problem. The problem is that divisional opponents know from history how easy it is to game plan against Dick Jauron, so they make us look silly. San Diego runs a 3-4 and Buffalo had no problem beating them.

3. No, they'll probably pick a safety or some other position that can't as easily impact the game.

4. No, they'll probably just talk up Josh Reed, Steve Johnson, Derek Fine, Derek Schouman, and James Hardy and expect everyone to buy into it.

5. Definitely not without a good quarterback. With a good QB? Maybe, but I'd sure like to see him make more than one catch per game before I'm ready to annoint him a #3, let alone a #2.

1. Aren't we the smart one......

2. Any coach with an offensive line like ours is much easier to game plan for. Mediocrity is as mediocrity does

3. We will go OL or DL

4. Reed was probably our offensive MVP and Johnson had a strong rookie year. I like Derek Fine a lot- we need one more playmaker, but have bigger needs right now

I want your opinions

1. Yes...he is and always has been fragile and would like to see him get more size to give him a little more confidence in taking a hit and any improvement to arm strength will be greatly appreciated.

2. Talk to Trent on this as well as the staff...and lets hope so.

3. I like Gresham, but who knows, I keep hearing that the staff is high on D. Fine's potential.

4. No...they still have big plans for Hardy and Johnson is showing lots of promise.

5. I think so, he shows lots of promise and I was high on him when we drafted him.

Truth is, this team is only going as far as TE development and ability to stay on the field. If he doesnt shed the "shell shocked" approach he had the last half the season, then we will be luck to win 6 games next year.

Sorry - I don't think he's a leader. 18 pass td's in 24 games - 23 starts. I don't see a "warrior " here.

Taking "command" in the 4th quarter to try for a comeback against slack, prevent defenses doesn't impress.

I don't follow the upcoming collegians that much. If there is an acclaimed QB when they draft in Rnd 1, they should do so.

Why not take the chance? What's to lose anyway? :wallbash:

1. Aren't we the smart one......

2. Any coach with an offensive line like ours is much easier to game plan for. Mediocrity is as mediocrity does

3. We will go OL or DL

4. Reed was probably our offensive MVP and Johnson had a strong rookie year. I like Derek Fine a lot- we need one more playmaker, but have bigger needs right now

1. That's my honest opinion. I could care less about muscle mass, throw the ball to the receiver, and not the other team.

2. That comment doesn't make any sense; you didn't really respond to my point at all. In fact, you ignored it completely.

3. Yeah, probably, this one was a joke.

4. We'll take this one in parts:

a) I sure hope that a team's offensive MVP would score more than 1 TD in a season. Yes, I know he missed 3+ games, scoring 1 TD is not what I call an offensive MVP. I'd pick Lynch, Evans, Jackson, or Edwards way before I picked Reed.

b) If 10 receptions in 11 games (7 of which he had significant playing time) is your idea of a strong rookie year, you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree. I know he had 2 TDs late in the season, and yes, that bodes well for his potential future goal-line productivity, but it's going to take a lot more than that to sell me on him.

c) This will sound familiar: If 10 receptions in 10 games (6 of which he had significant playing time) is your idea of a strong rookie year, you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree. Sorry, but the same point applies here. I've heard a lot of people say they like Fine, but he had one TD and 4 of his 10 receptions came in one game. Doesn't exactly get me out of my chair.

I want your opinions

I don't care about his weight.

Sorry - I don't think he's a leader. 18 pass td's in 24 games - 23 starts. Poor. Forget coaching or offensive plan - you the QB call the shots on the field. I don't see a "warrior " here.

Taking "command" in the 4th quarter to try for a comeback against slack, prevent defenses doesn't impress.

I don't follow the upcoming collegians that much. If there is an acclaimed QB when they draft in Rnd 1, they should do so.

Why not take the chance? What's to lose anyway?

I don't care about his weight.

Sorry - I don't think he's a leader. 18 pass td's in 24 games - 23 starts. Poor. Forget coaching or offensive plan - you the QB call the shots on the field. I don't see a "warrior " here.

1. it's not about weight it's about strength - when you don't have a big arm you need good mechanics and to be strong from the legs through the core all the way to the shoulders.

2. Juaron has to give up some control and let Edwards call his own plays- that would do good things for Edwards and get rid of a lot of clock management issues- Stop trying to be so tricky, give Edwards 5 running plays and 7 passing plays, and let him go to work- make adjustments at halftime - if there some play you just have to call, then use a timeout.

It's this kind of mentality - taking finesse, skill position guys over linemen (OL and DL) that has crippled this team for the last decade.

I'd much rather have a pair of solid lines and a crappy QB than a mediocre line and a promising rookie who will be running for his life behind said mediocre line.

2) Considering how prominent the 3-4 defense is around the league, we'd better figure it out soon. That's on Trents shoulders.

1-8 record against 3-4 defenses in 08. Wouldn't you think that after 2 or 3 or 4 tries they would have begun to figure it out? Course we don't know that they worked against any 3-4s in practice.

It's this kind of mentality - taking finesse, skill position guys over linemen (OL and DL) that has crippled this team for the last decade.

I'd much rather have a pair of solid lines and a crappy QB than a mediocre line and a promising rookie who will be running for his life behind said mediocre line.

I agree 100%. I'm so tired of the Bills drafting quarterbacks and wide receivers in the early rounds. They need to start building those lines and their linebacker group where they are extremely thin at. And we wonder why teams like the Steelers and Giants consistently win.

It'd be another waste of an early round pick if we selected a quarterback, unless we were extremely lucky and picked a Big Ben type quarterback, or Matt Ryan. Those guys don't come around too often. It's too much of a gamble.

I know Trent hasn't produced great numbers but let's reference the quarterback in Tennessee. Kerry Collins is being called a game manager down there. His numbers aren't ridiculously good either. Trent, at his best, has been a game manager. I'm not sure if he'll ever put up huge numbers but that doesn't mean he won't be a successful quarterback.

Believe it or not, after checking out NFL.com's statistics, Trent is ahead of Collins in many categories. Trent is young enough for me to believe he could still grow as a quarterback.

And of course I know Tennessee has a much stronger supporting cast around Collins and a much better coach, but that's not the point. Point is, if we surround Trent with a good supporting cast, he could have similar success if not more. Tennessee has proved (and the Giants in some ways too) that you don't need Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to win games.

I want your opinions

Here are my answers:

1) Not sure what purpose it serves

2) 2 questions in one - better figure out the 3-4 given everyone else in the division plays it. Safety blits - yes easier than the 3-4.

3) I pray that the current rgime is not wed to Preston the guy is mistake prone and inconsistent. He has shown some ability but prone to get stupid at times. Bills need to draft or pick up FA here - my preference is draft someone who will be around for a while.

4) We have to - drafted WR's are not normally contributors in their first year. I've argued in another pst that Lee Evans is a #2 and reed/ Johnson belong in the slot. Please, I beg of the team to not let roscoe parrish on the field again as a WR. Preferrably he gets traded away. $4.2MM to have a guy return punts is too much.

5) Not a #2 but perfect slot receiver.

1. it's not about weight it's about strength - when you don't have a big arm you need good mechanics and to be strong from the legs through the core all the way to the shoulders.

2. Juaron has to give up some control and let Edwards call his own plays- that would do good things for Edwards and get rid of a lot of clock management issues- Stop trying to be so tricky, give Edwards 5 running plays and 7 passing plays, and let him go to work- make adjustments at halftime - if there some play you just have to call, then use a timeout.

A TE that could find his way around the secondary and catch the ball could help.

I want your opinions

1. No his weight is fine, just need WR that can wins more battles and he has to know better when a WR is open in this league

2. The more Trent sees it the better he will get, plus the WR's need to see it too to adjust the routes

3. DE is first because of Schobel injury and Kelsey playing like he has one

Best Center 2nd.....I like Mack form Cal,...he played with Lynch right?

I would go pass rushing LB in the 3rd because Crowell might be out

4. WR maybe late in the draft but they need lineman first

5. Johnson is good but Trent likes his security blanket (Reed) too much