Biggest Problem--We Need a Top Flight GM

After thorough consideration, I agree that Jauron is not the top end coach many Bills fans would like to have. But, I think that the organization has a more pressing need: a top end GM.

Think about it. Just like the Raiders, the Bills have made some headscratching calls the past nine years when it comes to the draft and free agency. They reach for players like McCargo, Losman, and sad to say, but Whitner (good player, but picked too high). They overpay for average talent like Walker, Dockery, Reed, and Kelsey. And then they don't shell out the money to the right at the high value positions for the likes of Pat Williams, Jason Peters, and a decent backup QB. Also, don't expect to see Fred Jackson unless he comes in well below market value to stay with the team.

Lastly, a top end GM will demand performance from the staff and players. Who are the players accountable to now? Brandon? Their good friend Jauron? The fans? The frugile 90yr-old Mr Wilson? We really don't know, and I'm not sure the players and staff know either?

More than anything, I think the Bills really need a GM. The "inner circle" aint cutting it. Fix this, and you stand a lot better chance of fixing the Bills.

Navarre, your diagnosis is correct, but Ralph wants to call all the shots. And to Ralph, money drives NEARLY ALL decisions. So what good would a top-flight GM be?

Ralph knows this, which is why he is not even bothering to install a GM. On top of all this, which top GM candidates would welcome the chance to strap on the puppet strings to be Ralph's GM?

I think Thurman Thomas nailed it.

Until this team gets new ownership, you'll continue to see coaching and play like this. 'Nuff said.

I called out Ralph Wilson 3 years ago........I got bashed up and down.......but that was over on BB.com..........Thurman is right, until owner ship changes, you'll get the same results.

I called out Ralph Wilson 3 years ago........I got bashed up and down.......but that was over on BB.com..........Thurman is right, until owner ship changes, you'll get the same results.

People have been calling Ralph out for years....he just can't hear you

The whole GM-by-committee thing is absurd and ridiculous. A team needs to trust one guy to do the job and that one guy needs to have a vision and a sense of direction, while being able to balance a salary cap and making personnel decisions regarding both the draft and free agency. It's no easy job but having a group that includes a marketing guy and two failed personnel guys, who both report to a cheap and legally insane owner is a bad mix, that much is certain.

The whole GM-by-committee thing is absurd and ridiculous. A team needs to trust one guy to do the job and that one guy needs to have a vision and a sense of direction, while being able to balance a salary cap and making personnel decisions regarding both the draft and free agency. It's no easy job but having a group that includes a marketing guy and two failed personnel guys, who both report to a cheap and legally insane owner is a bad mix, that much is certain.

A top flight GM is the best of all worlds. The problem, of course, is there simply aren't many around. A team approach minimizes the damage a bad GM can do to a team, as it provides a system of checks and balances. MORE teams are moving to that system, in reality. Denver is the most recent to try to spread the power around. Even NE* doesn't use a GM and relies on TWO men to make those decisions.

I agree there could be an upgrade at top management at ONB, but, if the FO is as bad at identifying talent, and the drafts have been the disaster that some think they have, then maybe Jauron is a great coach...after all he got the team to win 7 games.

I know it is tough when the team continues to lose, but running around pointing fingers at every aspect of the operation calling it substandard and insisting it has to be done "THIS WAY" is foolish. It is clear that Ralph simply is NOT going after the cream of the GM crop. Given that, it is better to have a team approach, than to give control to another TD, IMO. This group has improved the talent on the team to where there IS a playoff-caliber group of players on the field. (Again, if you disagree, you should lay off of Jauron.) Where they have failed, is in getting a quality HC...and that isn't a group decision, IMO.

Everybody sort of assumed Modrak and Guy had power, I guess from the promotions last year; but, from Ralph's own lips he admitted this past week that Modrak was part of the outer octagon and not the "inner circle". Furthermore, Modrak is a Tom Donahoe guy and lives in Florida and is apparently really only interested in scouting. The "inner circle" apparently was Ralph, Brandon, and Littmann (and perhaps Ralph's daughter and Overdorf). [Edit: But now Modrak may get a key to the elevator as well.] That's very heavy on the financial and marketing side and crazy thin on the football side. Sort of correlates with the product on the field, no?

A top flight GM is the best of all worlds. The problem, of course, is there simply aren't many around. A team approach minimizes the damage a bad GM can do to a team, as it provides a system of checks and balances. MORE teams are moving to that system, in reality. Denver is the most recent to try to spread the power around. Even NE* doesn't use a GM and relies on TWO men to make those decisions.

I agree there could be an upgrade at top management at ONB, but, if the FO is as bad at identifying talent, and the drafts have been the disaster that some think they have, then maybe Jauron is a great coach...after all he got the team to win 7 games.

I know it is tough when the team continues to lose, but running around pointing fingers at every aspect of the operation calling it substandard and insisting it has to be done "THIS WAY" is foolish. It is clear that Ralph simply is NOT going after the cream of the GM crop. Given that, it is better to have a team approach, than to give control to another TD, IMO. This group has improved the talent on the team to where there IS a playoff-caliber group of players on the field. (Again, if you disagree, you should lay off of Jauron.) Where they have failed, is in getting a quality HC...and that isn't a group decision, IMO.

Excellent points. Ralph is certainly still "hurt" after TD. But we once had Bill Polian. There are a number of good-looking potential GMs out there. Floyd Reese and Charlie Casserly are out there. I just feel like if there are three guys calling the shots, there may be some conflicting opinions. With one guy making the decisions you just trust him and let him lead your team.

I'm especially wary of the fact that Ralph continues to promote from within, resulting in what seems like a sort of rewarding of failure. Guy and Modrak were around in the TD era. And Brandon is a marketing guy!

After three straight 7-9 seasons under the same regime, including a 2-8 collapse down the stretch, which also includes 0-6 against the division, and no one takes the fall. We're actually worse than our record says.

Three cheers for mediocrity!

Floyd Reese and Charlie Casserly are out there.

Two excellent names to consider, IMO. I often wonder how they still aren't employed (in the NFL...as GMs). It must be because they are waiting for the right situation, or needed some time off. I will be shocked if they aren't GMs somewhere in 2008...unless they are simply retired. Either might have been a good choice for the Bills, I think as from what little I know, neither seems like a total prima donna GM. I could be wrong though, so I'd appreciate knowing if either have some baggage.

Just think, if Casserly had been the Bills GM for the last draft, the Bills very well may have selected THIS guy, in the 1st round, last year.

Everybody sort of assumed Modrak and Guy had power, I guess from the promotions last year; but, from Ralph's own lips he admitted this past week that Modrak was part of the outer octagon and not the "inner circle". Furthermore, Modrak is a Tom Donahoe guy and lives in Florida and is apparently really only interested in scouting. The "inner circle" seems to be Ralph, Brandon, Overdorf, Littmann and perhaps Ralph's daughter. That's very heavy on the financial and marketing side and crazy thin on the football side. Sort of correlates with the product on the field, no?

Way too much geometry involved in the ownership of the Bills... :wallbash:

The point remains that no one with half a brain would consider working for Ralph. BN in Houston is correct in that Ralph wants all the power for himself. The Bills are his dictatorship, and he revels in controlling this team. Sure, Littman, Brandon, and Bogged-Down join him, but is there any question RW makes the decisions with financial input from Littman?

I am confident that people in league circles know what a train wreck the Bills have become. Guys like Casserly, Pioli, et al would not even think of coming here even if Wilson offered the kind of contract they'd want.

Polian and AJ Smith have probably advised anyone who's up and coming not to go to Buffalo. That much I'm sure of.

After thorough consideration, I agree that Jauron is not the top end coach many Bills fans would like to have. But, I think that the organization has a more pressing need: a top end GM.

Think about it. Just like the Raiders, the Bills have made some headscratching calls the past nine years when it comes to the draft and free agency. They reach for players like McCargo, Losman, and sad to say, but Whitner (good player, but picked too high). They overpay for average talent like Walker, Dockery, Reed, and Kelsey. And then they don't shell out the money to the right at the high value positions for the likes of Pat Williams, Jason Peters, and a decent backup QB. Also, don't expect to see Fred Jackson unless he comes in well below market value to stay with the team.

Lastly, a top end GM will demand performance from the staff and players. Who are the players accountable to now? Brandon? Their good friend Jauron? The fans? The frugile 90yr-old Mr Wilson? We really don't know, and I'm not sure the players and staff know either?

More than anything, I think the Bills really need a GM. The "inner circle" aint cutting it. Fix this, and you stand a lot better chance of fixing the Bills.

I agree! A new GM would bring in his own HC and our problems would be gone :doh: (or at least lessened) :lol:

I agree. A good GM could do much more with the money that is currently being spent on the roster. Spend on elite talent, not Dockery and Kelsay. Looking back, it is somewhat understandable why Peters took the position he did. Stupidity is the amount of money tied up in Dockery, Walker, and Kelsay.