From Passionate Fan to Detached Observer in 10 Painful Years

SDS

Great article. I am only 20 years old so I haven't been able to fully experience the glory years and super bowl years and all that jazz but I've been a Bills fan all my life and all I know is losing and it's terrible. When I sit at home to watch a game, all I feel is we're gonna find a way to lose this game....and almost every time I end up being right. I always feel like I'm being pessimistic but it's so hard to stay optimistic in the world that we live in today, especially in Buffalo with our sports teams. I remember back in October when the Bills were winning games and the Sabres were on fire, I said to myself, "Wow, the sun is finally shining down on Buffalo." Yet again, I was wrong. Our sports, the economy, corruption, politics, it's all crashing down on us at once and I feel like if there is a way out, then I've already missed it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, there's only one thing stopping me from joining the crowd telling Ralph to get stuffed ... the friends I've made here, in Lot 1, and on our road trips. Honestly, at this point, I'd miss the tailgates more than the games.

Right on Lori. See you in Charlotte next season?

As a lifelong Bills fan (47 years), it pains me to see what has become of the franchise. Living in Indianapolis, the pain is somehow amplified by the decade-long success of the Colts and the merriment of the city and their fans. Like many transplanted Bills fans, I make a yearly visit back to a game at The Ralph and have watched the Bills via Sunday Ticket for the past 15 years. My home and classroom are filled with Bills decorations and my closets are full of Bills clothing. Through the good and the bad, I have stuck with the team and consider myself to be as loyal as any fan. This said, I have reached the breaking point with the current organization. Keeping Jauron and the rest of the below average staff is the last straw. I know that teams go through valleys to reach peaks, but this team demonstrates no desire to improve and rewards mediocrity. Surely the people of Buffalo can see the writing on the wall--you are going to lose your team and Ralph is just making it easier for all of you to bid them farewell. I began my own process by cancelling my subscription to the Ticket on Wednesday.

Right on Lori. See you in Charlotte next season?

Do I have to buy a ticket? :devil:

KC is tempting, since I didn't go this year. But if you're still planning for the Panthers game, then yeah, I'll probably be there.

The article is good.

It sums up the problem and it has nothing to do with the player on the field or what happens on Sunday. Ownership does not have a commitment to winning.

Fact is it never did and never will. My only hope is ownership will pass to a group with the foresight (and money) to keep the team in Buffalo and do what it takes to bring a championship to this deserving city. With the commissioner and several political and business heavyweights in our corner I'm hopeful this scenario will play out.

That will be a day to celebrate. But until then.....

Great article, from the heart of a Bills fan to the heart of a Bills fan. As the losses and mediocrity mount, it is certainly getting harder and harder to come back each year.

Perhaps Ralph's mind truly has begun to deteriorate with his age. His poor decisions and rationalizations are really hurting the team and the fans.

This management is alienting their fans. And that's what's most important: the fans. We the fans are the only truly "good" thing left about this franchise and now it seems our loyalty and dedication are being tested like never before.

I can honestly say that I will renew my season's tickets, but right now I'm in a very sad place because of this team. One day I may walk away from my season's tix, but not from this team. I love them too much. But it is just not fair the way we are being treated.

But after free agency and the draft and camp and as the new season approaches, we will all feel better because time heal all wounds. After all, each new season brings about renwed hope and renewed optimism.

Go Bills.

If the plan is to sell the team to someone OBVIOUSLY planning on moving them, this is the perfect way of rationalizing the sale. Get the fans to stop spending, then claim "the market simply wasn't supporting the club", done deal. All the hatred is directed at ourselves, and the plans for your statue in front of City hall are back on. And the sheep bleat on.

The article is good.

It sums up the problem and it has nothing to do with the player on the field or what happens on Sunday. Ownership does not have a commitment to winning.

Fact is it never did and never will. My only hope is ownership will pass to a group with the foresight (and money) to keep the team in Buffalo and do what it takes to bring a championship to this deserving city. With the commissioner and several political and business heavyweights in our corner I'm hopeful this scenario will play out.

That will be a day to celebrate. But until then.....

Am I dreaming or did ownership go to 4 Super Bowls in a row? The problem this year was resting our hopes on a "China Doll" QB. We need a QB not new ownership or coach.

Am I dreaming or did ownership go to 4 Super Bowls in a row? The problem this year was resting our hopes on a "China Doll" QB. We need a QB not new ownership or coach.

:censored:

Wow are you off the mark with that statement! Did you see any of the game management this year?

Yeah...Trent's fault. :cry:

I don't want to give up on this team...I have put away all my Bills stuff and I won't drink my Sunday coffee from my Bills mug until next season. I will not spend a single $ on anything Bills and unfortunately that includes getting together will my fellow BillsBackers of Va on Sundays. I have loved this team for as long as I can remember back to the 60s but I can't take it anymore. However...

GO BILLS IN 09!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What?

Our owner just retained a guy who's had three straight losing seasons, showing no signs of improvement, all the while going 2-8 down the stretch which includes an 0-6 mark against the division. Jauron's coaching decisions can directly be contributed to three losses.

I'm sorry, but your post makes no sense, so yes you are dreaming.

A great piece that sums up the feelings of all of us life time fans. Like most folks here, I spent my Sunday afternoons watching the Bills only to be let down at the end of the afternoon. So much so I didn't even want to watch the other games on. Now that the playoffs are here, my interest is renewed because I'm watching competitive football again played by passionate players managed by intelligent coaches.

One other thought. Mr Wilson has longed complained about the Bills inability to be competitive in a small market like Buffalo compared to other deep pocket cities like NY and Dallas. But how do cities like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Nashville (Tenennesee) find a way to stay competitive despite their small market status? It starts at the top with an owner who has a keen eye for hiring the right people to run the ship.

I am not out by a long shot. Am I even in? Who really cares? I just don't get all worked up. Okay, maybe I do... So what, life is about passion. Heck, even if the game is being televised, sometimes I follow it on the sat radio (muted) or the internet/cell phone... Sometimes not even a glance... Even if it is a big game. Yet, I always check and see what happened and analyize the game. Same thing with the Sabres... Sometimes I do watch and even if I do, I just go about my normal business... Whatever I am doing to run my life. Again, I always follow what happens. Winning and losing doe not distract from my life.

What I am saying is that you can multi-task taking in games... I have been doing it for years... Every Sabre and Bills game... Winning or losing. There really is no emotional attachment to that. Ya, the nevousness is a little ramped up during say a big hockey or playoff game (both football and hockey). I will go to games in BFLO as I will go to out of town games. I won't go to the January 14th Chicago BlackHawks game becuase now most of the seats are hard to get and too expensive... They (home games) are all on TV anyway now since old man Wirtz kicked the bucket/bought the farm.

I just never understood the physical attachment to the games. I do understand the emotional attachment. As you all know I live near Chicago. A couple of years ago one of my son's friend's father (also a strange Cubs' fan) got all unhinged because I offered to do a tour of where I work for my son's Cub Scout pack... Right smack dab in the middle of the Bills-Bears game... He was a Bear's fan. It was a great tour! Not so great game for the Bills. The guy was still bitter he missed it live even though Rex Grossman and the Bears romped. I can't figure it out but some people become comatose during a game. What, you can't do something else?

And yes... I don't care if the team is winning or losing. I don't know why people get so worked up. It is not all or nothing.

I care just as much, but life doesn't have to stop physically and emotionally. I don't understand what all the whining is about. IMHO, it is not about being "out" or "in"... WTF?? I know when the games are on, again both Sabres (82 games) and Bills (16 games).

So what... They win which is GREAT... Ya, and if they lose... Oh well.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. :sick::w00t:

Just my 2 cents.

"Some teams may be able to absorb a temporary fan revolt..the Bills cannot."

This is precisely why, while I am disheartened by the direction this team is going, I will continue to support the Bills so my son grows up knowing what its like to be a Buffalo Bills fan and how to weather these low points.

I think a lot of fans of the NFL are starting to realize the players dont care anymore. The level of play in the nfl has dropped off. It is worse to see it in buffalo though, because our players dont seem to understand or care how much of this citys hopes are riding on them. It is ridiculous to see Freddy Jackson being the only player on our offense who is pumped up. They saunter onto the field, and stroll off after a three and out like they were going back for thirds at a picnic.

"Some teams may be able to absorb a temporary fan revolt..the Bills cannot."

This is precisely why, while I am disheartened by the direction this team is going, I will continue to support the Bills so my son grows up knowing what its like to be a Buffalo Bills fan and how to weather these low points.

Why would you want to have your son grow up knowing what it is like to be a Bill's fan. To learn to weather the low points? Are you serious. Are you also going to teach your son to blame the mud puddle he keeps stepping in day after day. No, you'll teach him to walk around the mud puddle. Just like it is time to let this team sink. Jump off the ship and let them go. The Bills are not worth it. This team stands for eveything wrong with America. It's ok to lose, it is all about money. Screw the fans, they'll be back because they don't know any better. Show him what it is like to be a winner! The Buffalo Bills are not winners. Nor will they anytime soon!

Why would you want to have your son grow up knowing what it is like to be a Bill's fan. To learn to weather the low points? Are you serious. Are you also going to teach your son to blame the mud puddle he keeps stepping in day after day. No, you'll teach him to walk around the mud puddle. Just like it is time to let this team sink. Jump off the ship and let them go. The Bills are not worth it. This team stands for eveything wrong with America. It's ok to lose, it is all about money. Screw the fans, they'll be back because they don't know any better. Show him what it is like to be a winner! The Buffalo Bills are not winners. Nor will they anytime soon!

By this logic, Cubs' fans shold have given up over 80 years ago. :wallbash:

Watching them fall apart this season was surreal. Yes we were 5-1 but if you were honest with yourself then you knew that we got there oddly. It wasn't real since the opponents were bums and the season was unfolding like no one could've predicted but it was GREAT FUN watching the Bills mix it up again, like the old days.

The complete change in personality was stunning! I couldn't comprehend what had happened to the team that I had watched the previous 6 games but they were gone and a completely different bunch of guys seemed to have suited up and run out onto the field.

I knew, within two games, that it was over and I signed off on the season. I have never, in nearly 50 years stopped watching but I knew intrinsically that this season was different and we wouldn't be coming back and we wouldn't be winning very many more games. My friends and family were stunned as I am a fanatic but I just couldn't stomach watching the debacle that unfolded the rest of 2008.

After gutting through 3 years of DJ, the great start was our reward. The collapse was asking too much. I have completely lost faith. This is not the old Bills. Not by any measure. This is a team getting ready to move to a new city.

Bill Polian took those teams to the superbowl, and he was fired for his troubles