Rooney Rule question...

DrDawkinstein

Rooney Rule doesn't apply when it comes to retaining coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah I am confused by this as well. Even if they planned on hiring Mike should they not have had to go through the process. I thought part of the rule was to expose owners to potential minority candidates even if they do not hire them.

it has in the past.

Correct. It still applies. However, the distinction is that Singletary is not really the HC, but only an interim HC. Therefore, the Rooney rule applies to them hiring a new coach. As someone else pointed out, ask Haslett.

And I don't think what San Fran is doing is right. It is true, Singletary is black and the Rooney rule is supposed to lead to more black coaches. However, most proponents of the Rooney Rule would say that is does more than this. It offers interviewing "practice" for black candidates and allow them to get their name out there and "network" with NFL people. This is the problem; by just handing Singletary the job, it actually hurts other black candidates in the process.

It did when St. Louis originally said they wanted to remove the interim tag from Jim Hasslett.

You're right. I was a bit too liberal in my interpretation. The Rooney Rule states that only "interim" coaches may be named during the season.

I should have said that the Rooney Rule doesn't apply to "minority" interim HCs who are later named permanent HCs by the team. And that makes sense since it would be rudundant to interview OTHER minority candidates when a minority candidate has already been named.

GO BILLS!!!

You're right. I was a bit too liberal in my interpretation. The Rooney Rule states that only "interim" coaches may be named during the season.

I should have said that the Rooney Rule doesn't apply to "minority" interim HCs who are later named permanent HCs by the team. And that makes sense since it would be rudundant to interview OTHER minority candidates when a minority candidate has already been named.

GO BILLS!!!

but the half of the justification is that it gives minority coaches an opportunity to practice interviewing?

im not arguing with you. i just find it dumb that they say "well since you are hiring a minority coach, the rest of them must be ok" which sort of flies in the face of the entire rule.

If the NFL wants its Rooney Rule for Coaches, lets get a Rooney Rule for players too. I mean really, like 90% of them are black. What gives? White players can play just as good as the black ones. Teams should be forced to have at least one starting white player at each position, DL, LB, DB etc. Now that is equality.

but the half of the justification is that it gives minority coaches an opportunity to practice interviewing?

im not arguing with you. i just find it dumb that they say "well since you are hiring a minority coach, the rest of them must be ok" which sort of flies in the face of the entire rule.

I agree and that's the irony of the Rooney Rule. Also, how does it address promotions from within? For example, if the Pats wanted to promote BB to GM and their OC to HC can they do it without Rooney Rule ramifications?

GO BILLS!!!

I agree and that's the irony of the Rooney Rule. Also, how does it address promotions from within? For example, if the Pats wanted to promote BB to GM and their OC to HC can they do it without Rooney Rule ramifications?

GO BILLS!!!

no, even if they promote from within, and they were already POSITIVE the OC was their guy, and that they would be wasting their time interviewing anyone else, they would have to bring in minority coaches for "practice" interviews.