Brady out for '09?

GG

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has fallen behind in his recovery efforts from knee surgery and could risk missing next season if another operation is needed, NBCSports.com has reported.

Blog

So much for Cassell hitting FA and flopping elsewhere.

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has fallen behind in his recovery efforts from knee surgery and could risk missing next season if another operation is needed, NBCSports.com has reported.

Blog

If Cassell ends up staying, that's a LOT of coin invested in the QB position.

GO BILLS!!!

If Cassell ends up staying, that's a LOT of coin invested in the QB position.

GO BILLS!!!

But maybe for just one year. They can franchise Cassell and keep him in place with a one year deal.

And if Brady misses basically two full seasons with this leg injury, is he ever going to be the same player? Is he the same player next season if he does make it back without the surgery for the scar tissue in the knee? It's amazing how fast his career took a major shift.

Blog

Gotta love all these reports. When he first injured his knee i was, "Brady's injury could be career threatening". Then it was "Infection could be life threatening. Now it's "Brady may be out another year". Good stuff...

Jonathan Kraft spent time poo-poo'ing the report by Tom Curran yesterday on WBCN, claiming that it did not come from official sources and Brady's rehab is coming along just fine.

However, Curran has been a good reporter, and it would be unlike him to report unsubstantiated hearsay.

But maybe for just one year. They can franchise Cassell and keep him in place with a one year deal.

And if Brady misses basically two full seasons with this leg injury, is he ever going to be the same player? Is he the same player next season if he does make it back without the surgery for the scar tissue in the knee? It's amazing how fast his career took a major shift.

What's the average salary of the top five QBs in the league? When does Brady's contract run out? Are they willing to franchise Cassell for more than one year? Like I said, for one year or not, that's a LOT of coin tied up in the QB position.

GO BILLS!!!

Dammit Belicheat at it once again spreading rumors around to increase Cassel's trade value. I would love for the Patriots to franchise him so that an large portion of their cap is tied up with 2 Qbs.

I think the Pats will trade Brady...

Cassle threw for almost 4000 yards and is MUCH cheaper than Brady. Plus, Brady is bigger trade Bait...

I think the Pats will trade Brady...

Cassle threw for almost 4000 yards and is MUCH cheaper than Brady. Plus, Brady is bigger trade Bait...

1.) Who trades for an injured QB rumored to be needing another surgery and year of rehab?

2.) Cassell is cheaper NOW but when FAgency starts, the Pats either franchise him, give him #1 money (why would he settle for LESS than Brady?), or he becomes an UFA.

GO BILLS!!!

What's the average salary of the top five QBs in the league? When does Brady's contract run out? Are they willing to franchise Cassell for more than one year? Like I said, for one year or not, that's a LOT of coin tied up in the QB position.

GO BILLS!!!

They would have to pay Cassel 12 mil. to franchise him. That would be more than Brady makes (10 mil)

1.) Who trades for an injured QB rumored to be needing another surgery and year of rehab?

2.) Cassell is cheaper NOW but when FAgency starts, the Pats either franchise him, give him #1 money (why would he settle for LESS than Brady?), or he becomes an UFA.

GO BILLS!!!

Is this serious or are you Crayonz' other account? Brady no trade value :thumbsup:

Is this serious or are you Crayonz' other account? Brady no trade value :thumbsup:

I didn't say Brady had no trade value. I'm saying who makes the trade and what do they give up for:

1.) A seriously injured player rumored to need additional surgery and another year of rehab so that, if the rumors prove true, the EARLIEST you start to earn an ROI is the 2010 season.

2.) In addition to #1 above you have to honor his current contract of 10mil per year AND carry that for the year he DOES NOT PLAY.

So be a GM and tell me what you do.

GO BILLS!!!

the number I keep hearing is $14-mil to franchise Cassel

Yep, that's the number.

In any case, the fantasy that some Patriots fans had about franchising Cassel and trading him for high/multiple picks has vanished. The Patriots will have to franchise him just so that they know that they have a healthy QB for next year. Brady probably won't be ready to hit the field until training camp, if even, and the deadline to franchise a player is the end of March.

Tim suggested this scenario last month, and from the Pats fans' response, you would've thought he'd committed capital murder. Check out some of the comments at the end of the first link:

You're an NFL general manager.

You need a quarterback. Your options are Matt Cassel and Tom Brady. You need to pick one.

Given their circumstances, there might be a decision to make -- as absurd as that may have sounded just a few weeks ago.

The choice is between a young quarterback on the make and a decorated veteran with no guarantees he'll be the same after his complicated knee injury. ...

Before you submit a comment asking if I've lost a bolt, keep in mind I haven't revealed who I would pick. I'm merely posing a fictional scenario to debate.

Do you bank on the superstar maintaining his elite status, or invest in the rising prospect, who years from now still should be in his prime when the veteran retires?

Take your pick: Cassel or Brady -- no, seriously

An innocent question to stimulate conversation ignited outrage.

One reader demanded I resign from ESPN.com. Another implored my bosses to terminate my blog completely. They wrote in to ridicule my intelligence, mock my background and question my journalism ethics.

All for asking a question to which I didn't give my opinion.

Pats have decisions to make on Cassel, Brady