Seattle: another point for them being Ground Zero

stuckincincy

How often does Seattle get a crippling snow storm? Every 10, 15 years? :beer:

Evidently, the city will let people crash and get injured before adding salinity to saline Puget Sound...

Seattle: No to salt, yes to snow-packed roads

By Susan Kelleher, The Seattle Times 12/23/08

"SEATTLE -- To hear the city's spin, Seattle's road crews are making "great progress" in clearing the ice-caked streets.

But it turns out "plowed streets" in Seattle actually means "snow-packed," as in there's snow and ice left on major arterials by design.

'We're trying to create a hard-packed surface," said Alex Wiggins, chief of staff for the Seattle Department of Transportation. "It doesn't look like anything you'd find in Chicago or New York."

The city's approach means crews clear the roads enough for all-wheel and four-wheel-drive vehicles, or those with front-wheel drive cars as long as they are using chains, Wiggins said. The icy streets are the result of Seattle's refusal to use salt, an effective ice-buster used by the state Department of Transportation and cities accustomed to dealing with heavy winter snows.

"If we were using salt, you'd see patches of bare road because salt is very effective," Wiggins said. "We decided not to utilize salt because it's not a healthy addition to Puget Sound.'."...

http://www.yakimaherald.com/stories/2008/1...ow-packed-roads

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'We're trying to create a hard-packed surface," said Alex Wiggins, chief of staff for the Seattle Department of Transportation. "It doesn't look like anything you'd find in Chicago or New York."

Uh no, you'd actually see the pavement in Chicago or NY. :beer:

Go hippies!!

If we continue to get snow like this for the next two months we'll be in a national emergency by Valentine's Day.

Mark my words, people.

Nobody, ANYWHERE has enough salt. And those that do paid through the nose to get it, something most landscapers/municipalities simply aren't in a position to do.

I temped for Morton Salt this summer selling ice-melting salt.

It's bad, people. Very, very bad.

If we continue to get snow like this for the next two months we'll be in a national emergency by Valentine's Day.

Mark my words, people.

Nobody, ANYWHERE has enough salt. And those that do paid through the nose to get it, something most landscapers/municipalities simply aren't in a position to do.

Ice-melting salt? How does that work?

Uh no, you'd actually see the pavement in Chicago or NY. :beer:

Go hippies!!

Typical hippies. Don't want salt to leech into a salt water estuary? Love the "We're going to clear the roads enough for only the environment killing SUVs to pass" mentality. That's awesome.

The last time I checked it was 2008.

Using the term "hippies" in 2008 is like George Bush saying he uses "The Google". It makes you seem a wee bit out of touch and stuck in the past. Just an opinion.

Really? So what's the modern equivalent for describing people like you?

Using the term "hippies" in 2008 is like George Bush saying he uses "The Google". It makes you seem a wee bit out of touch and stuck in the past. Just an opinion.

Dude are you saying there are no hippies in Seattle? :beer::);)

Have you smelled Seattle?

The regular commies are definitely much more removed from the hippies today but there are still hippy commies out there. The commies that run Seattle may or may not be hippies but some of them probably are.

Really? So what's the current equivalent for people like you?

Critiquing the present day relevance of the term "hippie" automatically makes one a hippie? Well then I suppose that I'm not only a hippie but also a Zippie, a Beatnik, a Mod, a Greaser, and a Pachucho.

Mark my words, people.

Your over-arching opinions aren't worth much salt...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2008121...70345/1055/NEWS