Shooting Star

thewildrabbit

One way the Bills could get better very fast is to go for a shooting star..

The first would be to go for the ultimate star in Scott Pioli,hire him away from the Patriots and make him President! Offer him the opportunity to also be the GM or name a GM and allow him to bring Josh McDanials as head coach and Matt Cassel as the QB.

This would accomplish not only making the Bills more effective in drafting and acquiring players, have an instant successful QB and play caller. It would also submarine the Patriots for a few years so the Bills could actually have a shot for a Division title,world championship.

A star and still very effective result would be to hire Bill Cowher as either GM or head coach or both. The only drawback would be answering to the president / owner in Ralph Wilson

Still this would also help in acquiring players through the draft or free agency as so many Cowher's players are still winning games at Pittsburgh, this guy knows talent.The "Chin" would help define this team with a smash mouth defense and hard nosed rushing attack.

Lesser bright star on the horizon would be to hire a new GM and let him define the teams coaching staff. That would be Charlie Casserly,Mike Lombardi or someone with some decent experience in being a GM and a really good talent evaluator. Perhaps someone like Mike Mayock on the scout/assistant GM team.

Dying star, AKA Buffalo Raiders,keep the same situation with no GM,no coaching change and the owner as President :rolleyes:

Why would you want Cowher as GM? Is there anything he has done to make you think he would be a good one?

Still this would also help in acquiring players through the draft or free agency as so many Cowher's players are still winning games at Pittsburgh, this guy knows talent

Tom Donahoe is a former general manager and President of the Buffalo Bills of the NFL.

Prior to his tenure with the Bills, he was Director of Football Operations for the Pittsburgh Steelers. In what was largely seen as a power struggle between himself and head coach Bill Cowher, Donahoe left the team in 2001.

Donahoe was selected to replace John Butler as general manager as well as take over the position of team president from a retiring Ralph Wilson. Wilson, while still maintaining ownership of the team, wanted to step aside from the day-to-day operations of the franchise, and chose Donahoe to take his place.

Ralph Wilson took a gamble that Tom Donahoe was the smartest guy in the room when the Steelers were drafting all their great players year after year. Guess what, he wasn't.

It was 'The Chin", Bill Cowher. Take a long hard look at the Steeler defense that's playing this year. Bill Cowher drafted most of those guys. He he a great talent evaluator and would make a really good GM / head coach. Plus giving him the title as GM would alleviate some of the pain in giving him the money he is seeking to return to the NFL for,upwards of 8-10 million a year.

bring Josh McDanials as head coach and Matt Cassel as the QB.

This would accomplish not only making the Bills more effective in drafting and acquiring players, have an instant successful QB and play caller.

Matt Cassel. The next Derek Anderson, or the next Rob Johnson, or the next Tom Brady? I would cringe if the Bills locked up that kind of money in this guy. Like the Broncos running attack, I fear they can plug me in there and have some success. I still like our chances with our cap friendly QB. I wonder how he would look in New England, I bet very good. Unfortunately, to generate some pass rush, this team may have to lock up even MORE at DE. We'll need a government bailout to finance these average lines.

This would accomplish not only making the Bills more effective in drafting and acquiring players, have an instant successful QB and play caller.

Matt Cassel. The next Derek Anderson, or the next Rob Johnson, or the next Tom Brady? I would cringe if the Bills locked up that kind of money in this guy. Like the Broncos running attack, I fear they can plug me in there and have some success. I still like our chances with our cap friendly QB. I wonder how he would look in New England, I bet very good. Unfortunately, to generate some pass rush, this team may have to lock up even MORE at DE. We'll need a government bailout to finance these average lines.

I think his point was that if you take McDaniel and Cassel, you get the offense AND the guy who is running it well. It's a sound judgement, IMO.

The Pats offense is better now than it was with Weis(also, IMO), so McDaniel is pretty impressive. I mean, if Mangini was a coaching candidate being nothing more than a figure head for the real DC, Belichick, then a REAL coordinator with McDaniels track record deserves a good look. And as WR said, it also takes away from the Pats without having to reward them with any compensation. Far better than sticking with Jauron, and quite frankly I don't care if it means the Bills have to spend so much money that they can't even be $20M+ under the cap next season!

BTW, with regard to Cassel, he's not going to get $10M per year(barring a SB MVP performance or something unlikely). I know we haven't given up on Trent, but beside the fact that he has played badly for much of this season, he also, AGAIN can't stay healthy. Not to be overlooked.

i agree cassell is completely overrated, i'd much rather have trent

Still this would also help in acquiring players through the draft or free agency as so many Cowher's players are still winning games at Pittsburgh, this guy knows talent

Tom Donahoe is a former general manager and President of the Buffalo Bills of the NFL.

Prior to his tenure with the Bills, he was Director of Football Operations for the Pittsburgh Steelers. In what was largely seen as a power struggle between himself and head coach Bill Cowher, Donahoe left the team in 2001.

Donahoe was selected to replace John Butler as general manager as well as take over the position of team president from a retiring Ralph Wilson. Wilson, while still maintaining ownership of the team, wanted to step aside from the day-to-day operations of the franchise, and chose Donahoe to take his place.

Ralph Wilson took a gamble that Tom Donahoe was the smartest guy in the room when the Steelers were drafting all their great players year after year. Guess what, he wasn't.

It was 'The Chin", Bill Cowher. Take a long hard look at the Steeler defense that's playing this year. Bill Cowher drafted most of those guys. He he a great talent evaluator and would make a really good GM / head coach. Plus giving him the title as GM would alleviate some of the pain in giving him the money he is seeking to return to the NFL for,upwards of 8-10 million a year.

Ok - I didn't know Cowher was in charge of the drafts for Pit.

If they don't go DE in the first round this year, they're nuts. That's the only way we'll get a quality end (potentially), as those guys never hit FA.

The first would be to go for the ultimate star in Scott Pioli,hire him away from the Patriots and make him President! Offer him the opportunity to also be the GM or name a GM and allow him to bring Josh McDanials as head coach and Matt Cassel as the QB.

This would accomplish not only making the Bills more effective in drafting and acquiring players, have an instant successful QB and play caller. It would also submarine the Patriots for a few years so the Bills could actually have a shot for a Division title,world championship.

A star and still very effective result would be to hire Bill Cowher as either GM or head coach or both. The only drawback would be answering to the president / owner in Ralph Wilson

Still this would also help in acquiring players through the draft or free agency as so many Cowher's players are still winning games at Pittsburgh, this guy knows talent.The "Chin" would help define this team with a smash mouth defense and hard nosed rushing attack.

Lesser bright star on the horizon would be to hire a new GM and let him define the teams coaching staff. That would be Charlie Casserly,Mike Lombardi or someone with some decent experience in being a GM and a really good talent evaluator. Perhaps someone like Mike Mayock on the scout/assistant GM team.

Dying star, AKA Buffalo Raiders,keep the same situation with no GM,no coaching change and the owner as President :wallbash:

I dont get this Cowher thing. Isnt he the same Cowher that kept Kordell Stewart for 7 years?

I dont get this Cowher thing. Isnt he the same Cowher that kept Kordell Stewart for 7 years?

He's also the same guy who once went 13-3 with Kordell. Considering our QB situation is no better, it seems like a sound strategy to me.

Too bad these things would never, ever happen. Thats why we're best off keeping Jauron.

You had me until you suggested that Cassell is a starting QB in this league. Quality back up maybe but not a starter.