Despite record, Buffalo offense actually much improved over 2007

San-O

Let's say Buffalo's offense is ranked 21/22 in the league, average of total yards and points scored for 2008. That's

much better than being ranked 30 in the league overall in 2007. A couple things jump out to me: red-zone scoring still an issue, and given the great special teams and average drive start rankings posted in another thread, possibly given another year of experience the Turk may get better.

IMHO, I still believe this team really needs additional receiving help badly, regardless of who is throwing the ball.

Buffalo 2008 - so far

=============

NFL Rank: 23'rd Total yards / game

NFL Rank: 20'th Passing yards / game

NFL Rank: 15'th Rushing yards / game

NFL Rank: 20'th Points / game

Given a rookie OC and a first time starting QB, that's not bad when you consider last years O numbers and rankings:

Buffalo 2007

=============

NFL Rank: 30'th Total yards / game

NFL Rank: 30'th Passing yards / game

NFL Rank: 30'th Points / game

Are you coping my thread (Statistics: 2007 & 2008, Offense & Defense)?

Sorry, no. It took me about half an hour to sift throw stuff and figure out what I wanted to say. I think thats about when you posted yours. I didn't see it.

"experience should help"?!?!?!

i thought if players and coaches dont get it right their first year they should be fired immediately and we should bring in someone new to start the process all over again?

im not sure i buy this whole "learning" thing. "maturing", "growing"... i dont know, sounds fishy...

red-zone scoring still an issue

Isn't this the main reason why they went out and drafted a 6'7" reciever named James Hardy? I know he sells siding but I am sure he can out jump 5'11" corners with minimal effort as well.

I can see not playing him in regular game situations because he might be behind on the playbook but how hard is to tell him to run to the corner and jump in red zone situations. This coaching staff never utilized him properly. He should have dominated in the red zone but he never was given a chance. That is why this staff needs to go, they didn't utilize their talent properly (see running Jackson on goal line/short yardage instead of the guy they call Beast).

Sorry, no. It took me about half an hour to sift throw stuff and figure out what I wanted to say. I think thats about when you posted yours. I didn't see it.

Took me a while to sort through the stats from nfl.com

It's okay, at least we're both thinking the same things. I feel we're very close to being a playoff team, we just need some fine tuning (including the coaches).

"experience should help"?!?!?!

i thought if players and coaches dont get it right their first year they should be fired immediately and we should bring in someone new to start the process all over again?

im not sure i buy this whole "learning" thing. "maturing", "growing"... i dont know, sounds fishy...

Right. This applies to the O mostly, with Turk and Edwards specifically, DJ is another matter. He won't learn

or hasn't, and he's been around the block a few times. IMO, you take Jauron OFF the sidelines, and this team

probably has another 2 -3 wins this year. He's that bad.

Given the much easier schedule this year I'd say that stats are kinda meaningless. This team wasted a year because they opted to do everything on the cheap. Promoted an offensive coordinator,line coach and QB coach and didn't hire an actual GM. This could have been a huge year for the Bill,instead they declined :rolleyes:

It's okay, at least we're both thinking the same things. I feel we're very close to being a playoff team, we just need some fine tuning (including the coaches).

Cool. My problem is I just can't see Jauron getting them there. He isn't going to out-coach anyone, and given

the caliber of teams and coaching in the playoffs, you can't hand anyone an advantage, which Jauron seems to

specialize at.

When the teams get better, the coaching becomes even more of a chess match, and Jauron is playing checkers.

IMHO.

Let's say Buffalo's offense is ranked 21/22 in the league, average of total yards and points scored for 2008. That's

much better than being ranked 30 in the league overall in 2007. A couple things jump out to me: red-zone scoring still an issue, and given the great special teams and average drive start rankings posted in another thread, possibly given another year of experience the Turk may get better.

IMHO, I still believe this team really needs additional receiving help badly, regardless of who is throwing the ball.

Buffalo 2008 - so far

=============

Given a rookie OC and a first time starting QB, that's not bad when you consider last years O numbers and rankings:

Buffalo 2007

=============

Rookie OC, yes. But don't forget that the "first time starting QB" made a major contribution to last year's stats, and without the benefit of the first-team reps in training camp.

I'm convinced that we could have a caliber team like the 85' Bears or one of the Joe Montana 49ers Superbowl teams and Jauron still would be unable to deliver a Superbowl win, let alone get to the Superbowl.

sort of like Marv

at least he made it to the big game-

but he totally butchered the collection of talent he had- especially on defense where premier pass rushers were used more as decoys. Walt Corey was a complete joke.

If Kelly and Marchibroda had not threatened a mutiny, the offense would have been running the single wing Marv brought with him from KC

Guest dog14787

Buffalo 2008 - so far

=============

Buffalo 2007

=============

Another year with Turk and he may get better? How about another year with an experienced and proven OC and the Buffalo Bills may get better, sounds allot more logical to me.

I think a legit receiving TE would improve this offense greatly and free up our WRs allowing them to make plays.

This is something we have been missing for a really long time. Good teams have good TEs. They are the easy receivers to find. They are a huge help to any young QB.

And we have Robert Royal (but he is a nice guy and good in the lockerroom). :rolleyes:

Buffalo 2008 - so far

=============

Buffalo 2007

=============

Is it?

The offense last year faced defenses that rank an average of 13.7 overall. This year the defenses faced rank an average of 20.8 overall. The Bills will have faced every defense ranked 25th and lower save Detroit and have actually struggled against some of them; 7 of the 8 worst bottom feeders. Not one of the defenses are in the top 10. This schedule is a cream-puff dream, the easiest schedule Jauron may ever see, and the Bills may not even equal last year's 7-9 record.

The "improvement" is an illusion.

Is it?

The offense last year faced defenses that rank an average of 13.7 overall. This year the defenses faced rank an average of 20.8 overall. The Bills will have faced every defense ranked 25th and lower save Detroit and have actually struggled against some of them; 7 of the 8 worst bottom feeders. Not one of the defenses are in the top 10. This schedule is a cream-puff dream, the easiest schedule Jauron may ever see, and the Bills may not even equal last year's 7-9 record.

The "improvement" is an illusion.

Explain 187 rushing yards against the #4 rush defense with a borderline NFL Qb at the helm.

Read it and weep. Jets are ranked 19th in total defense per NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

I love when people don't read posts and twist words. :rolleyes: I said the Jets run defense was 4th and the Bills ran for 187 yards.

Their passing defense is 29th. So by that accounts, Losman (a guy you love to defend) should have had a field day. Instead, he had 130 yards and 4 turnovers. Bravo.

In games Edwards started and completed, the Bills average 25 points a game (I believe they ranked 12th). So yes for a 2nd year QB and 1st year coordinator, there was a big improvement.

I love when people don't read posts and twist words. :wallbash: I said the Jets run defense was 4th and the Bills ran for 187 yards.

Their passing defense is 29th. So by that accounts, Losman (a guy you love to defend) should have had a field day. Instead, he had 130 yards and 4 turnovers. Bravo.

In games Edwards started and completed, the Bills average 25 points a game (I believe they ranked 12th). So yes for a 2nd year QB and 1st year coordinator, there was a big improvement.

:lol: Hypocrite. You responded to my post. My post never mentioned "run defense", was about a seasonal average of defensive rankings and not just the Jets game, and had nothing to do with excusing Edwards or running down Losman.

:wallbash: Hypocrite. You responded to my post. My post never mentioned "run defense", was about a seasonal average of defensive rankings and not just the Jets game, and had nothing to do with excusing Edwards or running down Losman.

Are you really (still) a Losman apologist?

This guy is a joke, and may have taken his last snap in the NFL with that brain freeze last Sunday.

This team, unless it is very very healthy, will be at the top of the "losers bracket" for some time to come. The losers bracket in NFL terms is basically the bottom 15 teams in the league, teams that just miss the playoffs all the way down to the 2-14 types. They are competitive against each other, but usually get killed by the top 12-15 teams and are not part of this group, the group that gets to actually play for the championship (the "winners bracket").. anyone who has played tournament sports in a double elimination format knows what I mean by the winners and losers brackets.

I don't see that changing until ownership changes and a real commitment to kind of coaches/players needed to compete for the title arrives. This team has no depth at any position and only teams with top talent at quarterback and coaching staff continue to win when major injuries to starters occur. The Bills has demonstrated for years they cannot compete with more than a couple key starters out. Teams in the winners bracket can. Sad, but very true I am afraid..