Charles Barkley is ripschitt that Turner Gill was not hired by Auburn

PromoTheRobot

Perhaps he wants to comment as to why something like 40% of the murders in America are perpetrated by that 2% or so of Americans who are black and male and between the ages of something like 16 to 40 years old.

As long as he's being racist...

:doh:

<_<

Just curious but are you gonna point out what % of the murderers are below the poverty level? Or are you just gonna lump an entire group of people together. This post was completely off topic and reeks a bit of racism itself.

Barkley says.... "Out of all the coaches they interviewed, Chizik probably had the worst resume."

A bit later he says... "They're not getting jobs where they can be successful. That's why I wanted Turner to get the Auburn job. He could win consistently at Auburn. You can't win consistently at New Mexico. You can't win consistently at Kansas State. He could have won at Auburn."

Iowa State's program sucks a lot more than Kansas State. So, Charles, did you ever stop to think that maybe that factored into their decision with Chizik?

Not that Chizik is the best choice, he isn't, but that argument is full of crap.

He was 5-19. That's like hiring Dick Jauron and magically hoping he would become a winner. And the basketball coach they hired was the only one of the candidates to not make a NCAA tourney.

No one cried racism when people where hired over Gill at Nebraska and Syracuse. But when one of the most famous grads of a deep South school thinks there maybe some racist, there probably is somethign going on. But as a poster said earlier, if this is true, it is better than Gill didn't get the job in the first place. Auburn is missing out a g reat coach and that's there loss (and hopefully Buffalo's gain).

Barkley says.... "Out of all the coaches they interviewed, Chizik probably had the worst resume."

A bit later he says... "They're not getting jobs where they can be successful. That's why I wanted Turner to get the Auburn job. He could win consistently at Auburn. You can't win consistently at New Mexico. You can't win consistently at Kansas State. He could have won at Auburn."

Iowa State's program sucks a lot more than Kansas State. So, Charles, did you ever stop to think that maybe that factored into their decision with Chizik?

Not that Chizik is the best choice, he isn't, but that argument is full of crap.

Ya... Maybe being DC at Auburn a few years back also factored into the decision.

:doh:

Francessa today made the point that college coaches need to do a lot of hobnobbing with alumni, cocktail parties etc and that like it or not, it's tougher for a black coach to fit into that situation - especially down south.

Anyone who's ever crossed paths with Gill here knows what a personable, friendly guy he is in meet-and-greet situations. If he didn't get the job because the boosters are uncomfortable rubbing elbows with him at a soiree, then Barkley is 100 percent correct.

Their loss.

He was 5-19. That's like hiring Dick Jauron and magically hoping he would become a winner.

Because turning around a college program is so like the NFL, right? I mean, sh--, its not like Turner Gill was 7-17 in his first two seasons with UB. If they had hired him, that woulda been like hiring Dick Jauron and magically hoping he would become a winner.

And the basketball coach they hired was the only one of the candidates to not make a NCAA tourney.

Was that due to racism too?

No one cried racism when people where hired over Gill at Nebraska and Syracuse. But when one of the most famous grads of a deep South school thinks there maybe some racist, there probably is somethign going on. But as a poster said earlier, if this is true, it is better than Gill didn't get the job in the first place. Auburn is missing out a g reat coach and that's there loss (and hopefully Buffalo's gain).

Or perhaps he's drawing attention to himself and his role as a victim.

Because turning around a college program is so like the NFL, right? I mean, sh--, its not like Turner Gill was 7-17 in his first two seasons with UB. If they had hired him, that woulda been like hiring Dick Jauron and magically hoping he would become a winner.

Was that due to racism too?

Or perhaps he's drawing attention to himself and his role as a victim.

In the year before Chizik took over at ISU, Dan McCarney dropped to 4-8 after finishing 7-5 and going to bowl games in the two years before that.

Jim Hofher's record at UB:

2001 Buffalo 3-8-0

2002 Buffalo 1-11-0

2003 Buffalo 1-11-0

2004 Buffalo 2-9-0

2005 Buffalo 1-10-0

In the year before Chizik took over at ISU, Dan McCarney dropped to 4-8 after finishing 7-5 and going to bowl games in the two years before that.

Jim Hofher's record at UB:

2001 Buffalo 3-8-0

2002 Buffalo 1-11-0

2003 Buffalo 1-11-0

2004 Buffalo 2-9-0

2005 Buffalo 1-10-0

I anticipated someone would argue the "Buffalo is in a worse situation" line. I wholeheartedly disagree. The Big 12 north was getting a ton better at that point, while Iowa State just flat out didn't recruit worth a lick under McCarney in the end years. It takes a whole lot less to turn a small conference program around than it does a big boy conference, especially when all the teams around you are jumping ahead leaps and bounds.

Honestly, I hope Turner Gill doesn't take the Iowa State job. He can get a better one staying at Buffalo for another year.

I don't understand the qualifications of the guy they picked. The main question I'd be asking is whether the guy can win. Gill has shown he can with a very bad team to start with, a not very recruitable area (Mrs. so and so...your kid will just LOVE being in Buffalo!) and was a remarkable success. I understand Syracuse going the way they did as they had so many talented candidates (one might argue that Gill had such great recruiting success in the Northeast however, that he'd have been the best choice, but that's for another thread). I don't think that race could be a factor. Who ever heard of racism in a school in Alabama?

Notice that it took a low-rent SEC school that's good only about once a decade (Mississippi State) to hire the first black coach in that conference. It wasn't Alabama or Georgia.

The South is certainly changing, largely because most of the racists from the 1960s are dying off, but change is sometimes slower than molasses.

And when Sylvester Croom didn't do the job of bringing the Bulldogs back, he was gone. Nothing to do with being black when you're fired.

As for Auburn, they aren't exactly progressive. That nitwit Bobby Lowder (google him) still runs the football program, for all intents and purposes. I have no idea what Lowder's racial views are, however.

Don't dismiss Barkley's statements here...there is at least a grain of truth present. And this is his alma mater. Charles knows, or should know, what racial feelings are like down there.

He's not asking the University of Wyoming why they didn't hire a black coach.

Think about the recruiting advantage Auburn would have had if they had hired a qualified black coach like Gill. For a black coach to go around the southeast and offer black athletes a chance to play for him at a major college could have made the difference between them going to Auburn and another school.

Two words to shoot down that idea: Sylvester Croom. His recruiting classes were horrific while he was at Mississippi State.

Ya... Maybe being DC at Auburn a few years back also factored into the decision.

<_<

[/quote

That an Chizik was the DC for Texas when they won the national championship. BUt yeah he came out of no where. Gill will find a great job sooner or later, not saying UB isnt great but on a larger scale.

The choice of Chizuk makes a lot of sense. You see..coaches only have x number of wins in them. Turner Gill is pissing away wins like a drunken sailor. Chizuk is wisely conserving all his wins for the Auburn job. Gill would have won a national championship or two and then ...nothing...cuz he used up all those wins. Chizuk can chug along year after year with 2 and 3 win seasons and still have wins left at the end of the decade!

so just to make sure i understand this,

barkley presents 3 qualified black coaches and no white,mexican,ect, and he is calling the school racist.

shouldn't he have presented the best options for the job rather than simply qualified black coaches?

looks like the pot is calling the kettle black on this one.(no pun intended)

charles barkley is intelligent, but most times comes off as a blowhard gambling addict.

Ever think that he isn't quite as bright as he is marketed? Always here how much of an intellectual this guy is. Never has really said anything smart imho. Maybe he is smart, relatively speaking.

Ever think that he isn't quite as bright as he is marketed? Always here how much of an intellect this guy is. Never has really said anything smart imho. Maybe he is smart, relatively speaking.

my remarks about him actually being intelligent is based on seeing/hearing him speak on various shows on several occasions; costas now, larry king, ect.

my remarks about him actually being intelligent is based on seeing/hearing him speak on various shows on several occasions; costas now, larry king, ect.

I agree Charles is not dumb. Usually he's saying very astute things that few others dare say, but often he says them in a way that could make you think he's dumb. He's also indisputably the world's funniest golfer.

The ISU article Lori posted above speaks volumes. Looks like Cizik knew he had to retreat back into the comfy southern life cause he was a disaster as a head coach when he didn't have the best players in the country.