Can the Bills survive if the Auto Industry fails?

DIE HARD 1967

It is very high..I would say around 6-7000 tops..Auto dealers, Gm plant, Ford stamping plant, Lockport Plant...I worked in the industry for 15 years in Buffalo..I got out around 3 years ago..I saw the writing on the wall and am glad I did..These companies need to go down, they need to start over. Their greed for years has finally caught up to them..They have earned this paychek...

This range is more realistic - you also have to factor in indirect employment. For example the restaraunt employee that has a job where auto workers go for an occasional meal out, etc. Therefore there may be a total of 10,000 to 12,000 jobs tied to the industry but in no case does 100,000 sound realistic.

If Buffalo and WNY are going to rise up again a number of factors must come into play. No single action, employer or effort will turn things around.

As a purchasing agent myself, I thought to myself.. Look at all of the companies that are associated in one way or another with the auto industry. All of the suppliers of metal, plastic, rubber, nuts, bolts, screws, motors etc will all be affected. This could be catastrophic and bring us deeper into an already bad recession.

This could put a town like Buffalo in deep deep trouble.

Buffalo has well over 150,000 auto related jobs in the WNY area. This does not include over 70,000 retirees living in the area.

CNN reported today that banks have called in mortgages to all GM and Chrysler Dealerships .

The Bailout has failed in Congress.

What impact does this have on season ticket sales from an already angry fan base?

If you are not paying attention to this issue, a real crisis may be on its way to Buffalo

Buffalo is ranked #3 as the most effected cities in America

The auto industry failed a long time ago when it lost most of its business to foreign competition. Ford, GM and Chrysler have mere fragments of their former market share and they'll never get it back. The biggest problem now are prohibitively expensive union labor costs and pension plans. The best thing that could happen would be for them to declare bankruptcy so they could restructure them properly and at least become competitive from a cost perspective and profitable again. Even though Feds throwing more money at them helps Buffalo, I have to stand for what's in the US best interests by saying it's a complete disgrace that the Bush Adminstration appears ready to over ride the Senate and use our tax dollars to subsidize these dead dinosaurs.

I guess all the union workers who are being paid $30/hr to do a job that an $8/hr temp worker could do on an assembly line are going to have a reality check. Mainly being that no other job out there is going to pay that much to do a relatively simple job. When managers and other positions requiring education are being outpayed by something requiring no education and little skill, you can see why the US automakers are going bankrupt...

People talk as though the end of the world will come about if the auto industry goes bankrupt. If the big three file for chapter 11 their union contracts will be broken and they can operate more efficiently and produce cars for less and compete with the foreign car manufactures. All the talk about ancillary job’s being lost if the big three go bankrupt or chapter 7 (liquidation) is just ridiculous. Are you going to stop buying cars if Ford, GM and Chrysler aren’t around? I don’t think so, which means you will buy from Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, etc. All those companies have manufacturing plants in the USA and employ American workers (just not at the prohibitive wage rates that the union wants). All the excess rubber, glass, steel that was produced for American car manufactures will now be sold to foreign car manufactures. There will be jobs lost, but most will be in areas that had bloated cost structures or dealerships that could not sell enough cars to support their existence. The people who will suffer the most will be union workers who were being paid wages and benefits beyond their technical skill as well as retired auto workers. Do you really think an auto worker should make more than a doctor? Look at the average yearly income of an auto worker and that of a general practitioner (the ones you bring your kids to when they have an ear ach, or a high fever). How much education does it take to push a button on a machine or put a screw in some sheet metal? Compare that with four years of college, four years of medical school and then 2-3 years of internship which pays less than a McDonald’s worker. My heart does not bleed for the union workers but I do feel bad for the retired auto workers who were promised X amount of money when they retired and may now have to live on half that amount if the auto companies go out of business. A recession is a hard time for everybody but you find a way to get through it and I don’t think having the government (our tax dollars) bail out bloated inefficient businesses is the way to go.