Aaron Schobel to go on IR?

Mularkey

I will give you the fact that he plays the well some what, but DE's are suppose to get to the QB more so then stop the run...Sorry but Schobel cant get to the QB.

I agree. Last year Schobel had 6.5 sacks, this year he'll end up with 1 sack in 5 games. You don't pay a guy $7 million a year for that kind of production.

Schobel never bites on fakes or finds himself out of position.

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Are we talking about the guy whose outside speed rush consists of going halfway around the world to get to the QB and who is usually 10 yards upfield before he realizes it is a running play? That is the player who never bites on fakes and is always in position? :wub::D

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Are we talking about the guy whose outside speed rush consists of going halfway around the world to get to the QB and who is usually 10 yards upfield before he realizes it is a running play? That is the player who never bites on fakes and is always in position? :wub::D

[/quote

Good post!!

I agree. Last year Schobel had 6.5 sacks, this year he'll end up with 1 sack in 5 games. You don't pay a guy $7 million a year for that kind of production.

I would see if we could get Det to bite for their second #1 pick send Shobel and McCargo to Det for the pick and let's get some better players. Sorry to all but Schobel is on the downside and if we could move his salary we should.

I would see if we could get Det to bite for their second #1 pick send Shobel and McCargo to Det for the pick and let's get some better players. Sorry to all but Schobel is on the downside and if we could move his salary we should.

I agree, Schobel is not worth the $50.5 million dollar (or whatever the amount was) contract he was given.

I will give you the fact that he plays the well some what, but DE's are suppose to get to the QB more so then stop the run...Sorry but Schobel cant get to the QB.

Schobel averages over 10 sacks per season in his first 6 years. Even with last's years 6.5 sacks, he averaged almost 10 sacks per season prior to this year.

But you're right. Schobel can't get to the QB, and 10 sack per year guys are easy to find/replace.

Maybe you should read some newspaper articles. The BN today, for example, specifically says that the problem is with ligaments in his foot. These are very problematic injuries, that can take a long time to heal, but one never knows, which is why they tried to stay optimistic as long as they can. Shane Conlan had similar problems (during the sainted Rusty Jones era, I hasten to add...)

You are going to hang Rusty Jones on the basis of one injury? Look at the overall story - he was there for KGun (no huddle) and when our d regularly had to play far more minutes than the offense.

You are going to hang Rusty Jones on the basis of one injury? Look at the overall story - he was there for KGun (no huddle) and when our d regularly had to play far more minutes than the offense.

I'm not hanging anybody... that was just an addition to hold off on the flood of inevitable... "these injuries never happened when Rusty was here" posts. I guess it was not enough. :wub:

Good thing you added McCargo to the deal. I don't think Detroit would go for it without him as part of the deal. :blink:

Schobel averages over 10 sacks per season in his first 6 years. Even with last's years 6.5 sacks, he averaged almost 10 sacks per season prior to this year.

But you're right. Schobel can't get to the QB, and 10 sack per year guys are easy to find/replace.

It doesn't matter what he did earlier in his career. What matters is that he has 7.5 sacks in his last 21 games and will be 32 when the season starts next year. It is very possible that he has hit the brick wall. I'm not saying they need to get rid of him in the offseason, but his future as a Bill may not be beyond 2009 if he continues to slide. They need to go into FA and the draft with this in mind.

What Schobel did previous years means nothing right now. We pay the man a hefty size contract for what? The guy is a joke, We read every year how he lost weight to get faster, he gets shoved around like a lil girl on the football field. Walter Jones is a great example, granted Jones is one of the best in the game, but when Schobel rushed against him it was like hitting a brick wall, he cant move anyone he cant bull rush anyone. The last time he bull rushed a guy was Ferguson of the Jets a couple years back.....

Honestly, the money we pay him could have went else where for a DE that plays to a higher standard. But just another oops we F'd up move by Ralph & Co.

When you compare his stats to other players who average a similar number of sacks you will find he doesnt register many forced fumbles for a 10 sack player.

Just sayin sacks arent everything.

It doesn't matter what he did earlier in his career. What matters is that he has 7.5 sacks in his last 21 games and will be 32 when the season starts next year. It is very possible that he has hit the brick wall. I'm not saying they need to get rid of him in the offseason, but his future as a Bill may not be beyond 2009 if he continues to slide. They need to go into FA and the draft with this in mind.

I'm not saying to ignore the position, because he is getting up there in age, and he could easily slide farther or get back to close to where he used to be. However, with regards to the DE, the DE being replaced immediately needs to be which ever of our 2 headed high-motor monster we decide to start opposite schobel. With any luck, perhaps Ellis will develop to take over schobel's spot in a few years.

It doesn't matter what he did earlier in his career. What matters is that he has 7.5 sacks in his last 21 games and will be 32 when the season starts next year. It is very possible that he has hit the brick wall.

lol, so now games where the player is out with an injury count against them?

good stuff!

lol, so now games where the player is out with an injury count against them?

good stuff!

I read it that way at first as well, and almost responded until I realised LabattBlue meant 32 years old, not 32 games.