The most frustrating thing about our playoff drought

Reddy Freddy

To me, the most frustrating thing about our playoff drought is that in many of the years we have finished in the 7-9 to 9-7 range, which has dropped us out of the top 5-10 draft picks. So, for example, we get a Marshawn Lynch instead of an Adrian Peterson (not that I don't like Lynch, but Peterson is a potential Hall of Famer if he stays healthy).

If we're gonna suck, I wouldn't mind sucking just a little bit more to get an elite player in the draft.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the most frustrating thing about our playoff drought is that in many of the years we have finished in the 7-9 to 9-7 range, which has dropped us out of the top 5-10 draft picks. So, for example, we get a Marshawn Lynch instead of an Adrian Peterson (not that I don't like Lynch, but Peterson is a potential Hall of Famer if he stays healthy).

If we're gonna suck, I wouldn't mind sucking just a little bit more to get an elite player in the draft.

And the one year we did truly bite the big one, the results were Mike Williams.

This past offseason Bill Polian taled about how the draft setup realy cripples the bad teams by forcing them to pay big $ for players that may or may not pan out. The problem is that bad teams make bad decisions, that's how they get the early picks. Then they make bad desicions with those picks (Mike Williams).

Easy for him to say, he picked 1st overall twice. Bruce Smith and Peyton Manning

I do not want the Bills getting a top 10 pick - big $ into a guy who has a 50% chance of being a bust.

Problem is we'd just take another CB.

The problem is that bad teams make bad decisions, that's how they get the early picks. Then they make bad desicions with those picks (Mike Williams).

Im so sick of people always saying bad teams make bad picks...for one, predicting a players success in the NFL is no exact science, otherwise people like Tom Brady wouldnt drop to the 6th round while other players like Ryan Leaf go 2nd overall.

I am defintiely tired of hearing about how dumb we were for taking Mike Williams. First off, he was graded as a top 5 player...wasnt like he was rated to go in the 3rd round and we took in the top 5. Second, we desperately needed O-Line help, so we took the best rated guy available...nor rated by the Bills, but rated by everyone...fans, other teams, that loser Kiper, etc. At the time we made the pick he was a stud pick...If we didnt pick him, he would have gone off the board on the next freaking pick...why you may ask, BECAUSE EVERYONE THOUGHT HE WAS THAT GOOD...not JUST the Bills.

Truth is, the FANS would have been in an uproar if we didnt take this guy with that pick, because he was rated to be that good and it was our BIGGEST need in that draft. Now that the pick is a bust, the fans blame the front office as IF they knew all along this guy was a loser.

So whoever drafted him was about to make a blunder...it just so happened he filled our biggest need and was available at our pick, so we were the unlucky ones who got him.

Same with Matt Millen getting flack over taking Charles Rogers...at the time he took him, he was considered the BEST athlete in the draft and the BEST WR prospect since Randy Moss...ANY other NFL team would have taken him there if they needed a WR...Point is EVERYONE was fooled and it happens EVERY year in EVERY draft...

6-10 will get us a good pick.

Truth is, the FANS would have been in an uproar if we didnt take this guy with that pick, because he was rated to be that good and it was our BIGGEST need in that draft. Now that the pick is a bust, the fans blame the front office as IF they knew all along this guy was a loser.

Only difference is the front office gets PAID to make these picks, we criticize for FREE :) Just saying is all :(

Only difference is the front office gets PAID to make these picks, we criticize for FREE :) Just saying is all :(

lol...yeah, well EVERY GM in the league would have taken Mike Williams as the first OL player that year...so it wasnt because our GM's decision was bad, its that this player was rated by everyone that high...the player fooled everyone.

Thats my point...too much blame is assessed years later for bad picks, when everyone thought that pick was a good pick when they made it. Now, if a team gambles on a pick, takes a player too early, takes a player they dont really need, pass a player they should have taken that was a need, trades away their whole draft (see Mike Ditka), etc., then you can start pointing fingers at the bad decisions.

Millen takes a lot of flack over Rogers, but man, that kid was lights out in college, most athletic player in the draft, said to be the best WR propsect since Moss. Every GM in the league takes Rogers there...not Millens fault...everyone was fooled. Not saying he didnt make other bad choices, but man, GM's get killed when they get unlucky in a situation like that when just about any GM in the league past or present makes the same decision.

lol...yeah, well EVERY GM in the league would have taken Mike Williams as the first OL player that year...so it wasnt because our GM's decision was bad, its that this player was rated by everyone that high...the player fooled everyone.

Thats my point...too much blame is assessed years later for bad picks, when everyone thought that pick was a good pick when they made it. Now, if a team gambles on a pick, takes a player too early, takes a player they dont really need, pass a player they should have taken that was a need, trades away their whole draft (see Mike Ditka), etc., then you can start pointing fingers at the bad decisions.

Millen takes a lot of flack over Rogers, but man, that kid was lights out in college, most athletic player in the draft, said to be the best WR propsect since Moss. Every GM in the league takes Rogers there...not Millens fault...everyone was fooled. Not saying he didnt make other bad choices, but man, GM's get killed when they get unlucky in a situation like that when just about any GM in the league past or present makes the same decision.

I agree with you on Williams, but Rogers was notoriously injury prone. I actually think a lot of teams with WR needs would have skipped on him at the #2 position.

Im so sick of people always saying bad teams make bad picks...for one, predicting a players success in the NFL is no exact science, otherwise people like Tom Brady wouldnt drop to the 6th round while other players like Ryan Leaf go 2nd overall.

I am defintiely tired of hearing about how dumb we were for taking Mike Williams. First off, he was graded as a top 5 player...wasnt like he was rated to go in the 3rd round and we took in the top 5. Second, we desperately needed O-Line help, so we took the best rated guy available...nor rated by the Bills, but rated by everyone...fans, other teams, that loser Kiper, etc. At the time we made the pick he was a stud pick...If we didnt pick him, he would have gone off the board on the next freaking pick...why you may ask, BECAUSE EVERYONE THOUGHT HE WAS THAT GOOD...not JUST the Bills.

So whoever drafted him was about to make a blunder...it just so happened he filled our biggest need and was available at our pick, so we were the unlucky ones who got him.

Same with Matt Millen getting flack over taking Charles Rogers...at the time he took him, he was considered the BEST athlete in the draft and the BEST WR prospect since Randy Moss...ANY other NFL team would have taken him there if they needed a WR...Point is EVERYONE was fooled and it happens EVERY year in EVERY draft...

Mike Williams had 2 major question marks coming into the draft that year-1) He played RT in college and was being drafted to be a LT, 2)he weighed more than just about every successful tackle throughout the NFL's history.

Anyone who tries to do something with the 4th pick in the draft like move him to another position or pick a guy whose weight is usually in the range of NFL failures is begging to get a bust.

For the record, since you brough him up, Mel Kiper in his 2002 Draft Report didn't even have Mike Williams as the top tackle in that draft. He had McKinnie as the top tackle at 7th best & Williams at 8th-that's not top 5 if one can count from 1 to 10. Frank Coyle had Williams 7th best, McKinnie 3rd best player overall.

So based on the Experts, the Bills should have drafted Bryant McKinnie, not Mike Williams. They went for off the field character over a guy with a much better build to last in the NFL & was a proven LT in college. Unlucky-no, stupid -yes.

Mike Williams had 2 major question marks coming into the draft that year-1) He played RT in college and was being drafted to be a LT, 2)he weighed more than just about every successful tackle throughout the NFL's history.

Anyone who tries to do something with the 4th pick in the draft like move him to another position or pick a guy whose weight is usually in the range of NFL failures is begging to get a bust.

For the record, since you brough him up, Mel Kiper in his 2002 Draft Report didn't even have Mike Williams as the top tackle in that draft. He had McKinnie as the top tackle at 7th best & Williams at 8th-that's not top 5 if one can count from 1 to 10. Frank Coyle had Williams 7th best, McKinnie 3rd best player overall.

So based on the Experts, the Bills should have drafted Bryant McKinnie, not Mike Williams. They went for off the field character over a guy with a much better build to last in the NFL & was a proven LT in college. Unlucky-no, stupid -yes.

The three highlights of McKinnie's career:

1. 98 day holdout

2. Sex boat scandal - $41,000 fine

3. Assaulting a security guard - 4 game suspension

We really missed out.

The three highlights of McKinnie's career:

1. 98 day holdout

2. Sex boat scandal - $41,000 fine

3. Assaulting a security guard - 4 game suspension

We really missed out.

McKinnie-still in NFL with the team that drafted him. Williams-a distant memory.

Most still had Williams rated over McKinnie...McKinnie had character question marks coming out of college. Where Kiper had the player rated in terms of overall players is not the same as where a guy is rated to be drafted. Williams was rated to go in the top 5 picks in the draft.

We needed help at OL, we took was seen as a great pick but almsot everyone at the time...then he doesnt work out and everyone says OUR GM should have known better...well then Every other scout and GM should have known better because there was no way this guy falls out of the first round that year, which is what would have had to happen to be able to say at least one GM in the league would have known better and passed on this guy.

The point is, we drafted based on need and player grades...the same grades the other GM's had on this guy in the league, so its not fair to say our guys got it wrong...EVERYONE got it wrong.

Most still had Williams rated over McKinnie...McKinnie had character question marks coming out of college. Where Kiper had the player rated in terms of overall players is not the same as where a guy is rated to be drafted. Williams was rated to go in the top 5 picks in the draft.

Wrong again-Since you keep citing Kiper, you should look at his 2002 book 1st. Kiper's mock draft: Bryant McKinnie 5th to San Diego, Mike Williams 9th to Jacksonville. You are right, "Where Kiper had the player rated in terms of overall players is not the same as where a guy is rated to be drafted." Williams was Kiper's 8th best, but expected to go a slot BELOW that by Kiper.

Wrong again-Since you keep citing Kiper, you should look at his 2002 book 1st. Kiper's mock draft: Bryant McKinnie 5th to San Diego, Mike Williams 9th to Jacksonville. You are right, "Where Kiper had the player rated in terms of overall players is not the same as where a guy is rated to be drafted." Williams was Kiper's 8th best, but expected to go a slot BELOW that by Kiper.

Thats just kiper though...im talking about the general consensus...notice I referred to Kiper as a loser in my original post. Dont put much stock into him, his ratings, or mock drafts.

And who cares...he was still rated to go within a few picks of us...why are you arguing that when the point is that they guy was arguably the highest rated OL on the board and if he wasnt #1 he was #2 (if you think McKinnie was better)...either way, he gets drafted high...why does he? becasue he is rated high by everyone...so everyone got it wrong with him...not just the bills.

No one had him rated to be a bust. No one had him rated to go in the late rounds...someone was going to miss big time on him, and it just happened to be us, not because our GM didnt know football, but becasue everyone was fooled on this kids potential, he was available at our pick and was a majore area of need.

I guarantee you that there was not a single GM in the league that said no matter where we can get this guy, lets NOT draft him, even if its in the third round.

Thats just kiper though...im talking about the general consensus...notice I referred to Kiper as a loser in my original post. Dont put much stock into him, his ratings, or mock drafts.

And who cares...he was still rated to go within a few picks of us...why are you arguing that when the point is that they guy was arguably the highest rated OL on the board and if he wasnt #1 he was #2 (if you think McKinnie was better)...either way, he gets drafted high...why does he? becasue he is rated high by everyone...so everyone got it wrong with him...not just the bills.

No one had him rated to be a bust. No one had him rated to go in the late rounds...someone was going to miss big time on him, and it just happened to be us, not because our GM didnt know football, but becasue everyone was fooled on this kids potential, he was available at our pick and was a majore area of need.

I guarantee you that there was not a single GM in the league that said no matter where we can get this guy, lets NOT draft him, even if its in the third round.

My most important points got missed because I went off on a tangent. He still was a RT, not a LT & he still weighed way too much for any of the experts to place that high a rating on him and be correct. His weight was & still is out of the range of successful NFL players. Kind of the rich man's Jamie Nails-who had limited success at RG, but couldn't cut it as a tackle.