Auburn gets permission to talk to Gill

bills44

Some interesting note in that article:

Gill interviewed for the Syracuse job last week.

Both Paul Johnson and Jimbo Fisher are the leading candidates.

IMO, Paul Johnson is a reach. I do not think he will jump from the GT ship that quick.

Some interesting note in that article:

Gill interviewed for the Syracuse job last week.

Both Paul Johnson and Jimbo Fisher are the leading candidates.

IMO, Paul Johnson is a reach. I do not think he will jump from the GT ship that quick.

Fisher says Auburn hasn't contacted him at all, and since he signed that deal as "head coach-in-waiting" he would owe FSU $5M if he left before 2010.

LINK

Fisher says Auburn hasn't contacted him at all, and since he signed that deal as "head coach-in-waiting" he would owe FSU $5M if he left before 2010.

LINK

I thought the amount was $2.5M?

Anywhoo, I am not surprised Auburn has not contacted him, at least not yet. (Do not if they will)

The "leading candidates" being reported seem more like the "fans" leading candidates than they do of the University. When word leaked the University contacted Leach, Aubie fans were elated. They were talking like Leach was a sure thing. Right up to the point when Leach released a statement saying he had no interest in the job.

Poor Moo College fans. They think the are one "upper elite" colleges in the country.

Anywhoo, I am not surprised Auburn has not contacted him, at least not yet. (Do not if they will)

The "leading candidates" being reported seem more like the "fans" leading candidates than they do of the University. When word leaked the University contacted Leach, Aubie fans were elated. They were talking like Leach was a sure thing. Right up to the point when Leach released a statement saying he had no interest in the job.

Poor Moo College fans. They think the are one "upper elite" colleges in the country.

It was originally $2.5M but they upped the buyout after last season, so it works both ways. If they don't name him HC by Jan 2010 he gets $5M. He leaves, he owes the school $5M.

I feel fairly confident that Jimbo is staying put, but with the way the coaching carousel has turned the last few years, I'll feel better when Auburn hires someone else to be their new coach.

BM's right. The buyout was upped to $5 mil. Word around Tally is that Jimbo won't jump ship, but will use any potential offer to up his leverage here at FSU for the upcoming season. Basically he's get FSU to give him full control over over the coaching staff (defense especially), with DC mickey andrews being untouchable. Him and Amato can't stand each other, so amato will likely be gone, and Jimbo would probably bring in someone as "LB coach" for a season with the intention of promoting to DC when mickey retires after next season. Next season will likely be a "farewell tour" for both Bobby and Mickey.

BM's right. The buyout was upped to $5 mil. Word around Tally is that Jimbo won't jump ship, but will use any potential offer to up his leverage here at FSU for the upcoming season. Basically he's get FSU to give him full control over over the coaching staff (defense especially), with DC mickey andrews being untouchable. Him and Amato can't stand each other, so amato will likely be gone, and Jimbo would probably bring in someone as "LB coach" for a season with the intention of promoting to DC when mickey retires after next season. Next season will likely be a "farewell tour" for both Bobby and Mickey.

I was wondering how long we'd see Mickey hang around, especially after Bobby had to talk him out of retirement for this year. I think the loss of his son really hit him hard and it was probably good that he came back, if for no other reason than to keep him busy.

I hadn't heard about the rift between Jimbo and The Chest. That's interesting.

I think Bobby will be under some pressure to make next season the farewell tour, since every time there is an opening at another school Jimbo is going to be named as a possible candidate.

Gene Chizik? Really?

:wallbash:

(No link, just some rumors I read ...)

Rivals is reporting Chizik is new HC for AU.

Linky

Auburn fans are coming unglued.

But what other choice did the school have:

Spurrier said he was not interested.

So did Mushcamp, Grobe, Patterson, Dooley, and Leach.

My personal opinion: :P:thumbsup:

Rivals is reporting Chizik is new HC for AU.

Linky

Auburn fans are coming unglued.

But what other choice did the school have:

Spurrier said he was not interested.

So did Mushcamp, Grobe, Patterson, Dooley, and Leach.

My personal opinion: :thumbsup::wallbash:

Well how about Turner Gill? (Not that I want him to leave UB.) I suspect the boosters were not ready for a black HC.

PTR

Well how about Turner Gill? (Not that I want him to leave UB.) I suspect the boosters were not ready for a black HC.

PTR

Looking at the boards, there seemed to be big support for Turner Gill. One of the boards even had a "button" of Gill dressed up in those ugly as sin Auburn colors.

But you are right. The same fans seem to think Lowder and the good ol' boys were never going to put with a black HC.

On the other hand, the same fans are convinced Auburn is a top 15 school / program, and that Gill refused the Syracuse job just so he could take the Auburn job (if offered). They are now sorry for Gill because Auburn "jerked" him around.

Out: Tommy Tuberville. In: Gene Chizik.

Cyclone fans are deliriously happy right now. Auburn fans, not so much. And you're not the only Bammer guy laughing at your cross-state rivals tonight, Cynical.

Five years after his first attempt to oust Tuberville failed, Bobby Lowder (Google him and see what you come up with) finally got his way. But you know what they say about being careful what you wish for ...

Out: Tommy Tuberville. In: Gene Chizik.

Cyclone fans are deliriously happy right now. Auburn fans, not so much. And you're not the only Bammer guy laughing at your cross-state rivals tonight, Cynical.

Five years after his first attempt to oust Tuberville failed, Bobby Lowder (Google him and see what you come up with) finally got his way. But you know what they say about being careful what you wish for ...

I am well aware of who Lowder is and what he has done. And if IIRC, Auburn is "stuck" with him until 2012(?).

I am well aware of who Lowder is and what he has done. And if IIRC, Auburn is "stuck" with him until 2012(?).

You know Lowder's resume well, I'm sure, but I'm guessing not everyone here does.

Anyhoo. Mildly famous Aubie alum Charles Barkley weighs in on ESPN:

Lobbying for Gill, alum Barkley says Auburn should have hired black coach

"I think race was the No. 1 factor," said Barkley, who played basketball for three seasons at Auburn during the early 1980s. "You can say it's not about race, but you can't compare the two resumes and say [Chizik] deserved the job. Out of all the coaches they interviewed, Chizik probably had the worst resume."
Barkley, who works as an NBA analyst for Turner Network Television, said he spoke with Gill before Gill interviewed with Auburn officials last week.

"We talked about the whole race thing in Alabama," Barkley said. "I told him it's there and it's going to be anywhere you go. I told him you can't not take the job because of racism. He was worried about being nothing more than a token interview. He was concerned about having a white wife. It's just very disappointing to me."

Barkley said he wanted Gill to become Auburn's coach because Auburn is a school where an African-American coach could be successful.

"My biggest problem with the black coaches is they're not getting jobs and they're getting [expletive] jobs when they are hired," Barkley said. "They're not getting good jobs. They're not getting jobs where they can be successful. That's why I wanted Turner to get the Auburn job. He could win consistently at Auburn. You can't win consistently at New Mexico. You can't win consistently at Kansas State. He could have won at Auburn."

You know Lowder's resume well, I'm sure, but I'm guessing not everyone here does.

Barkley says.... "Out of all the coaches they interviewed, Chizik probably had the worst resume."

A bit later he says... "They're not getting jobs where they can be successful. That's why I wanted Turner to get the Auburn job. He could win consistently at Auburn. You can't win consistently at New Mexico. You can't win consistently at Kansas State. He could have won at Auburn."

Iowa State's program sucks a lot more than Kansas State. So, Charles, did you ever stop to think that maybe that factored into their decision with Chizik?

Not that Chizik is the best choice, he isn't, but that argument is full of crap.

Honestly, considering what happened at Auburn 15-20 years ago, I cannot say race did NOT have some sway in their decision. However, speculation and rumors began oozing out after the Chizik announcement that the reasons he was chosen:

a) already had a history at Auburn

b) was the only coach they talked to that would allow the AD to have final say on the coaching staff.

If 'b' is true, Lowder hit the mother load.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.