Auburn gets permission to talk to Gill

bills44

Consider the source, but still interesting ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/93946-i...e-chizik-a-job#

Auburn is going to regret the day they ever ran Tubberville out of town. The guy was a good coach & more improtantly he was a solid big game coach. This hiring has disaster written all over it. Think Ron Zook's tenure in Florida xs 10. & when it is all said & done & they can this chump from Iowa St three years from now it is going to take a coach as good as Urban Meyer or Saban to clean this mess up. There are not many guys like that on the market. Good luck Auburn, your going to need it.

Auburn is going to regret the day they ever ran Tubberville out of town. The guy was a good coach & more improtantly he was a solid big game coach. This hiring has disaster written all over it. Think Ron Zook's tenure in Florida xs 10. & when it is all said & done & they can this chump from Iowa St three years from now it is going to take a coach as good as Urban Meyer or Saban to clean this mess up. There are not many guys like that on the market. Good luck Auburn, your going to need it.

Don't knock Zook too much. While his coaching may leave something to be desired, his recruiting is top notch. Zook is a huge reason why the gaytors cried their way to a national championship 2 years back. Those were Zook's guys, not Meyer's.

Don't knock Zook too much. While his coaching may leave something to be desired, his recruiting is top notch. Zook is a huge reason why the gaytors cried their way to a national championship 2 years back. Those were Zook's guys, not Meyer's.

I was not really knocking Zook. He is a good recruiter & has done a decent job at Illinois. The comparison is that from pretty much day one when Zooker got the job at Florida fans wanted him out. It probably made his job twice as hard as it should of been. Your going to see the same thing @ Auburn. First time this guy makes a questionable decision that does not work out, the firing squad is going to be coming out. it is going to make his job very difficult.

That's debatable. In the 10 years he was there, Tubby was only able to manage 2 trips to the SEC CG, winning just 1 of them. Not exactly an achievement that screams "big game coach capable".

Consider the source, but still interesting ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/93946-i...e-chizik-a-job#

Oooh, I forgot about Nutt. I believe the same "booster" contacted Petrino, only to find out Petrino has a "poison pill" clause in his contract. Petrino belongs to Arky for the next 4 years.

That's debatable. In the 10 years he was there, Tubby was only able to manage 2 trips to the SEC CG, winning just 1 of them. Not exactly an achievement that screams "big game coach capable".

He has won his fair share of big SEC games in the past plus some of the big games he has won have been on the road. Prior to this year, didnt he beat Alabama 6xs in a row?

He has won his fair share of big SEC games in the past plus some of the big games he has won have been on the road. Prior to this year, didnt he beat Alabama 6xs in a row?

I would not be looking at those 6 wins against Bama as evidence of his "big game capabilities". During Tubby's 10 year tenure, Bama had 5 different head coaches and was dealing with a 5 year NCAA probation that included three years of reduced scholarships.

• 2 years later...

Haha, nice bump! Interesting takes on Chizik... :lol:

That's not to say that anyone could have seen this coming...

It's funny, I found myself underrating Auburn all year. EVERY decent SEC game I figured they would finally lose and be exposed. And I still picked Oregon to finally seal the deal.

I realize now that I was probably thinking about those Tuberville teams and projecting their shortcomings onto the current team.

Haha, nice bump! Interesting takes on Chizik... :lol:

That's not to say that anyone could have seen this coming...

It's funny, I found myself underrating Auburn all year. EVERY decent SEC game I figured they would finally lose and be exposed. And I still picked Oregon to finally seal the deal.

I realize now that I was probably thinking about those Tuberville teams and projecting their shortcomings onto the current team.

Isn't funny how Cheez-It, who couldn't produce a winning record to save his life, suddenly goes 14-0 with a player under investigation for pay for play?

Coincidence? Possibly.

But it's not like it's the first time it's happened in Auburn's history.

Isn't funny how Cheez-It, who couldn't produce a winning record to save his life, suddenly goes 14-0 with a player under investigation for pay for play?

Coincidence? Possibly.

But it's not like it's the first time it's happened in Auburn's history.

You realize he was 8-5 in 09 right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.