Worst-case

silvermike

Just to add on to that, now that I think about it. I think Cowher and Marty would require somewhat of overhauls, setting us back a few years. You know those are 2 coaches that will change our personnel to fit their scheme's. On the Other hand if we truly have the talent that I think we do, Bobby April makes the most sense since change of personnel under him should be more to a minimum. That's all just speculation and the green wizard talking, so who knows?

<_<

I think Cower and Marty could work with most of this roster. These Bills have plenty of talent, IMO. I'm not suggesting they are one of the league's elite, talent-wise, but they have a good solid core and decent depth at several positions. I think either of those guys could improve this team, as is.

If the Bills go with a coordinator with no HC experience, why NOT April? Truth is, I don't know enough about him, but he seems to have his unit playing at a consistently high level, year after year. He has to deal with same personnel issues and injury problems as any other coordinator...maybe even more so. Too bad we couldn't see April in the role of interim HC, to see how he responds, and how the team responds to him.

Based on our track record, which coaching hires should we be terrified of coming to the Bills next season?

The ones I see us going with - tragically:

Dom Capers

Dave Wannestadt

Perry Fewell

Any others spring to mind?

Kevin Gilbride

If the Bills go with a coordinator with no HC experience, why NOT April? Truth is, I don't know enough about him, but he seems to have his unit playing at a consistently high level, year after year. He has to deal with same personnel issues and injury problems as any other coordinator...maybe even more so. Too bad we couldn't see April in the role of interim HC, to see how he responds, and how the team responds to him.

Bobby April is 55 years old. He has been an assistant coach since 1991. He is great at special teams, but sometimes guys stay assistants for this long for a reason.

Thanks.....I'll pass. Bring in Marty, please.

Bobby April is 55 years old. He has been an assistant coach since 1991. He is great at special teams, but sometimes guys stay assistants for this long for a reason.

Thanks.....I'll pass. Bring in Marty, please.

Understood, that is what makes me say "I don't know enough about him" and I'd like to "see April in the role of interim HC".

I think the reasoning that "he's been an assistant this long, so must not have what it takes to be a HC" is horribly flawed, though. I would need to know WHY he has never gotten a shot to make any real evaluation. Could be he never felt ready in the past (has he interviewed for HC jobs before?) or wasn't interested. Maybe he hasn't identified a situation where he thought he could succeed.

But, I'm guessing it's more of a prejudice against him because Special Teams is seen as a "lesser" job by some, than OC or DC.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that April would be a better choice than Cower (by FAR my #1 choice) or Marty (a distant #2 or #3). I'm saying "if the Bills go with a coordinator with no HC experience", April may not be a bad choice. Of course, I prefer a known quantity with this team,..but, I also know that we Bills fans don't often get what we want.

Many tend to discount Capers' early success with the Panthers (and Coughlin's similar early success with the Jags) due to the unprecedented advantages the 1995 expansion teams were given when they entered the league. It should also be noted that Capers benefited from Bill Polian's slash-and-burn approach to build a SB champ in an unheard-of two-year period.

Of course, those who dismiss Caper's early success as a fluke, don't seem to cut him any slack on the team's decline after 1996. The Panthers had to pay the price of Pollian's efforts for several years after he left for the Colts. As you mentioned, his stint with the Texans was also atypical.

I just don't see him as the kind of guy you bring in to follow Jauron. He might end up being good, but he isn't anywhere near a slam dunk, which is what this team needs, IMO, if they decide to change coaches now.

I hear ya...there are several guys I would prefer over Capers, but Capers was always considered a pretty good football mind and coach. I was just saying, it wouldnt be the worst thing. I am sure lots of people sighed when Couphlin took over in NY too...seems to have worked out. I actually think he could be a good fit here. I prefer a couple other coaches first, but I wouldnt be upset to see Capers