DICK Doesnt believe in practicing out doors WHAT!!???

Poeticlaw

Maybe Jauron could just hold virtual practices, where players go online and exchange discussion board responses to coaches questions about their weekly assignments and game plans. This way, they won't needlessly risk injury driving to the stadium in poor weather, and will be able to concentrate on their responsibilities instead of getting caught up in the foolish horseplay and shennanigans that can easily disrupt the live practice environment.

:unsure: Good idea! Why get chilly unless it's in a real game? :devil:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynch and Jackson both have dropped screen passes that would have been TDs this year. I don't think he is a bad player. In fact, I am thrilled by his efforts. I am suggesting that practice in the elements might improve his already good game.

I know that Evans played in the cold, and I also think he is a player. Good thing they re-signed him. You know....the whole deal. He is still small, and the Bills are built primarily upon small players. Many (not necessarily LE) are unsuited for this climate. As for LE, Wisconsin was a long time ago. Practice in the wind wouldn't hurt him either.

Oh believe me, I think DJ is a complete idiot for not practicing these guys in the weather, but I will never go so far as to say it's not worth it because of where the guys came from. Our beloved 90's bills were mostly from Cal and FLA too.

In all seriousness, can you believe he really sees no benefit to practicing in bad weather? This is mind boggling to me. :devil:

My only guess is that he is coddling the players in order to gain favor with them. Perhaps this is his way of getting them to "produce." Players do like him. So do the guys on Sirius. He is probably a great guy, but he doesn't seem suited to be a head coach in the nasty NFL.

My biggest fear wrt the Bills is that they will fire him and bring back Levy.

Oh believe me, I think DJ is a complete idiot for not practicing these guys in the weather, but I will never go so far as to say it's not worth it because of where the guys came from. Our beloved 90's bills were mostly from Cal and FLA too.

Are you smoking the crack pipe. Lets see Reed, Kelly=PA Thurman, Kennth davis=Tex Bruce smith =VA KEnt Hull = MI

PETE M (TE) = MIchagan Thomas Smith=NC thats just a handfull of not CALI or FLORida

THe team was a hard nose team with players from HARD NOSED states please do not confuse them with the Slackers from CALI.

My only guess is that he is coddling the players in order to gain favor with them. Perhaps this is his way of getting them to "produce." Players do like him. So do the guys on Sirius. He is probably a great guy, but he doesn't seem suited to be a head coach in the nasty NFL.

My biggest fear wrt the Bills is that they will fire him and bring back Levy.

Those 2 guys are basically the same guy aren't they? I think, Like with Marv, that if we had a bunch of highly talented, high ego, but self motivated players DJ would be a very good coach. He is a manager of people more than anything. I do think he knows a good football player when he sees one, but he has his shortcomings on game day.

Are you smoking the crack pipe. Lets see Reed, Kelly=PA Thurman, Kennth davis=Tex Bruce smith =VA KEnt Hull = MI

PETE M (TE) = MIchagan Thomas Smith=NC thats just a handfull of not CALI or FLORida

THe team was a hard nose team with players from HARD NOSED states please do not confuse them with the Slackers from CALI.

Mentioned FLA and CALI to keep it concise. Point is, the vast majority of our players were from the south or west. VA is the south to me BTW...

Those 2 guys are basically the same guy aren't they? I think, Like with Marv, that if we had a bunch of highly talented, high ego, but self motivated players DJ would be a very good coach. He is a manager of people more than anything. I do think he knows a good football player when he sees one, but he has his shortcomings on game day.

That was a great description! If you added the works "and on draft day" to the end I would be in 100% agreement. :devil:

These athletes in this modern day are a bunch of wimps........too many perks if you ask me. Heated benches to sit on and for your helmets to get warm along with your feet.......guys coming off the field have jackets put on them by another person, I mean hell guys cant even squirt water in their mouths someone has to do it for them....

These athletes in this modern day are a bunch of wimps........too many perks if you ask me. Heated benches to sit on and for your helmets to get warm along with your feet.......guys coming off the field have jackets put on them by another person, I mean hell guys cant even squirt water in their mouths someone has to do it for them....

Marshawn is the only guy who doesn't wear a jacket...of course other than JP, he's the only other player that's really embraced being from Buffalo. The kid from Cali is BUILT to play in this weather and he knows it. He thrives in it. He was having a blast out there on Sunday and our IDIOT COACHES decided to reign him in instead of letting him go yayo on the 49ers in the 4th quarter.

DJ: "Hey guys, I hear Marshawn is averaging over 8 yards a carry in the 2nd and 3rd quarter...think we should keep running it?"

Turk: "Are you kidding me? They have weak pass defense, let's go aerial with a cold QB who hasn't taken snaps since the Arizona game! WOOO! I'm a genius! I'm so creative!!"

DJ: "Good call Turk, it's decisions like this that make me proud that I promoted you after the unfortunate leaving of the greatest offensive mind I've ever met...Steve Fairchild. I asked Ralph the fold the team when he left, didn't think there was a reason to go on anymore...then you came along."

"Trent Edwards made a minor reference to the weather in terms of affecting his passing, though he attributed more of his struggles to his groin and being unable to drive his hips into his throws as a result.

But the FOX broadcasters made a big deal about the fact that the Bills do not practice outside during the week. The truth is the Bills haven’t practiced outside once in the last two weeks.

Head coach Dick Jauron was asked if the team needs to practice outside more to be better prepared for the weather conditions they have to play in here in Buffalo.

Jauron believes the problems facing this team don’t involve the weather."

Buffalo is a cold windy city and wouldnt it be nice to take advantage of that. I have mentioned in previous post that Trent did not look like a cold weather QB baed on last season what i didnt know is that the HC was so soft on his players that he practices indoors and not outdoors. How are you going to beat the Jets or NE they both practice outdoors, How would you beat PITT another team that practices outdoors. You prepare your team for the conditions of the field we dont play in a a dome we play in an outdoor stadium which we have no advantage in in nov/dec/or Jan because you wont bring this team outdoors to practice don you think this team could use the COMPETITVE ADVANTAGE DICK?????? :devil:

Dick has spent the entire year preparing for the Toronto game. Didn't you know that?

The Colts practiced outside all week this week. EVERY DAY. Dungy was on Sirius NFL radio today and said they went outside to get acclimated to the weather so that there would be no surprises this week in Cleveland due to cold and wind.

They weren't great, but at least the weather didn't beat them.

There's one. I'm not sure how many other teams do it. I do know that Tony Dungy is a damn good coach though.

:devil:

So, did the Colts install and practice their entire game plan outdoors or just go outside to get acclimated? What was the average temperature last week in Indy? What were the average wind speeds during their practice times?

No doubt they went outside and ran some drills, etc. But if you believe for a second that they did the bulk of their serious practice outdoors in bad weather, NOT JUST COLD, but windy, etc. then you'd be wrong. It's one thing to get 'acclimated' to the cold, it's quite another to practice in weather that isn't conducive to an efficient practice.

The Bills work outside during the winter as well. Just not on days when the weather (wind, rain, snow, etc.) is so bad that it's impossible to get any meaningful work done. In that regard, it's smart to work in a place that allows you to install your game plan. Not that our game plans would do much good lately.

GO BILLS!!!

Dearest k-9:

It has been my experience and first hand observation that playing well in cold temperatures requires acclimation to them. Especially in a contact sport like football that features passing and kicking. Getting used to throwing and receiving in different wind conditions and with slippery balls takes practice. Simply getting used to the added sting of hitting in the cold takes time. Science will tell us there are physical adaptations to exposure to cold weather that i am too lazy to enumerate. Those are sensible reasons to practice in the cold.

You have stated that most NFL teams do not practice in the cold. A reason for that may be that they do not practice in cold parts of the country.

Reasonable people may certainly disagree on this issue, but what I said did not make "NO SENSE".

I think the reason is that NFL teams are so wussy that a coach would face near mutiny if they asked their players to play outside in that scary weather.

Warm weather teams dont play well in the cold. http://www.advancednflstats.com/2007/11/nf...by-climate.html Perhaps you would be in favor of air conditioning their practice facilities a little?

Dearest Hossage,

I did NOT state that teams don't practice in the cold. Teams, including the Bills, do it all the time. What I said was that when the weather (wind, rain, snow, etc.) prevents a team from being able to conduct efficient practices in order to install their game plans, it makes more sense to bring the practice indoors. It ain't the cold, it's the rest of the weather that forces teams to work inside their fieldhouses.

That is why EVERY bad weather team (those that don't play in domes that is) has built indoor practice facilities the last 20 some odd years.

Cold in and of itself is no big deal and every player can get used to it. Blizzards, and/or gale force winds are quite another story. And they are the great equalizer on those stormy Sundays since NO TEAM will have practiced in those conditions during the week.

The best solution is to be able to RUN THE DAMN BALL!

GO BILLS!!!

During the Flutie/Johnson era, I watched the John Butler show on Empire and a caller asked him why the Bills didn't practice out in the cold.

He said they found that the players got too run down and tired. And that lead to injuries.

Most if not all NFL teams practice inside . . . they may run a few drills outside, like a previous poster said, to get used to the idea of playing outside, but they don't spend 2 hours outside.

John Madden said in one of his many books that he would not let Ken Stabler throw a wet football in practice because it gets too heavy. He didn't want to tire his arm out.

Mentioned FLA and CALI to keep it concise. Point is, the vast majority of our players were from the south or west. VA is the south to me BTW...

Really? The good ones were? Bruce Smith went to Virginia Tech...ever been to Blacksburg? Not the warmest place on Earth in the fall and winter months.

In addition to the names mentioned above, you have Conlan (Western NY/PA), Talley (Cleveland), Odomes (college ball in Wisconsin), Kelso (Pennsylvania), Wolford (Northern Kentucky), Ritcher (Ohio), Henry Jones (college ball at Illinois), Bentley (Michigan), Lofton (played most of his career in Green Bay), and Beebe (Illinois).

Those teams had quite a few players that weren't strangers to cold weather...and a lot of them were impact guys.