How do we fix this mess?

DDD

This organization has been inept for over a decade. Wilson was a fool for letting Polian go but we can't change the past. The bottum line is that we have a loyal but greedy and bad owner, bad coaching, and bad talent evaluation. Other than that were fine. Modrak has failed in getting us enough talent. He has not been able to duplicate his work in Philly and should be replaced. John Guy's free agent signings have been bad especially considering the ridiculous money spent on average players by a thrifty organization. He should be replaced. Jauron is a class act and brings credibility but it is more than evident he is a below average coach. The organization needs a major overhall. The problem is we have been stuck with the "in-house" promotions Ralph likes to employ. Clearly it has not worked. We need new faces in the organization. Like Obama said, this is CHANGE WE NEED. Bill Cowher is a pipedream. Ralph should focus on getting Marty Schottenheimer. Yea, his playoff record stinks but the guy fields a competitive team and consistently gets to the playoffs. He used to play for the Bills if I'm not mistaken. He should be the focus of getting this mess of an organization back to credibility.

This organization has been inept for over a decade. Wilson was a fool for letting Polian go but we can't change the past. The bottum line is that we have a loyal but greedy and bad owner, bad coaching, and bad talent evaluation. Other than that were fine. Modrak has failed in getting us enough talent. He has not been able to duplicate his work in Philly and should be replaced. John Guy's free agent signings have been bad especially considering the ridiculous money spent on average players by a thrifty organization. He should be replaced. Jauron is a class act and brings credibility but it is more than evident he is a below average coach. The organization needs a major overhall. The problem is we have been stuck with the "in-house" promotions Ralph likes to employ. Clearly it has not worked. We need new faces in the organization. Like Obama said, this is CHANGE WE NEED. Bill Cowher is a pipedream. Ralph should focus on getting Marty Schottenheimer. Yea, his playoff record stinks but the guy fields a competitive team and consistently gets to the playoffs. He used to play for the Bills if I'm not mistaken. He should be the focus of getting this mess of an organization back to credibility.

We need a scary linebacker, a ferocious DE and an above average center.

Throw in a crafty FB, pray that Hardy, Ellis and Steve Johnson make the sophomore leap, and we'll be Derek fine.

It starts with Wilson resigning his position and just being the owner of a team. He would do well to letthe football guys handle the football end. Yes, he just wants to win, but he wants it too bad and it has led to mistakes.

Personnel wise, our offensive line needs to get smaller and more athletic. Lynch would be dominant behind a line that was mobile enough to zone block effectively. On defense, we should start over on the line- Schobel is our best end, but he is getting older and banged up....I would see what we could get for him in a trade. We need 1-2 more defensive tackles, including a starter.

I would also like to see a hard nosed fullback in the Sam Gash mold. We have rough winters, and need to be able to pound the ball

We need a scary linebacker, a ferocious DE and an above average center.

Throw in a crafty FB, pray that Hardy, Ellis and Steve Johnson make the sophomore leap, and we'll be Derek fine.

As Herm Edwards says "you play to win the game"Novel concept eh?Ralph needs to show William Cowher the cash.

Bell, Demetrius

Bryan, Copeland

Butler, Brad

Chambers, Kirk

Corner, Reggie

Corto, Jon

Costanzo, Blake

Denney, Ryan

Dockery, Derrick

Edwards, Trent

Ellis, Chris

Ellison, Keith

Evans, Lee

Fine, Derek

Fowler, Melvin

Fox, Dustin

Greer, Jabari

Hamdan, Gibran

Hardy, James

Jackson, Fred

Jenkins, Justin

Johnson, Spencer

Johnson, Steve

Kelsay, Chris

Lehman, Teddy

Lindell, Rian

Losman, J.P.

Lynch, Marshawn

McGee, Terrence

McIntyre, Corey

McKelvin , Leodis

Mitchell, Kawika

Moorman, Brian

Neill, Ryan

Omon, Xavier

Parrish, Roscoe

Peters, Jason

Posluszny, Paul

Preston, Duke

Reed, Josh

Royal, Robert

Schobel, Aaron

Schouman, Derek

Scott, Bryan

Simpson, Ko

Stroud, Marcus

Stupar, Jonathan

Walker, Langston

Wendling, John

Whitner, Donte

Whittle, Jason

Williams, Kyle

Wilson, George

13 players have been on this roster longer than Jauron has been here. One kicker, one punter. So really only 11.

18 players on the roster have been drafted by Jauron.

Does that help you understand why we're not PERFECT yet?

So where do we go from here? I will watch again and look for more specifics, but it will be the same old story. I am in some way relieved. Funny to even hear myself say that but after the last month only a mother would still believe. We haven’t been consistent in anything but inconsistency. Fifty-yard runs followed by three-yard losses. That probably is the most frustrating thing to watch. While watching the Beast roll I went through all the stages of grief waiting for him to score as he went down short of pay dirt. Too many times the Bills looked like a team that doesn’t know how to win, doesn’t know how to finish, finish drives let alone games. Players made plays to be sure, so I don’t fault them as much as I am starting to question the coaches. I am beginning to doubt that Jauron and company could take either team and beat the other one on a consistent basis. You know the old saying: he is one of those coaches that could take a his’n and beat a your’n and he could also take a your’n and beat a his’n. Maybe he is too cerebral, may be he is too nice, maybe he don’t cheat, all I know is he ain’t winnin’. I love my Bills and think DJ is a fine man, hell he shook my hand at the door to his office, but I am beginning to feel that he is that cheetah with spots that won’t change.

I hate the thought of starting over. Can we bring in a new regime and turn things around in one year like the Tuna in Miami, and what is going on in Atlanta? Things I think are: Cali boys don’t need to be quarterbacks in Buffalo. Too cold, for one thing. We need to draft some defensive ends; they are not getting around the corner fast enough. We need at least one linebacker with some size. We need a stud upfront to help in the rotation. Give me a young, hungry Haynesworth. We need an improvement at tight end to say the least, and we need a lock-down, shut-down, ball-hawking corner. And maybe an offensive line with some ‘tude. I want old school football: knock people off of the ball, take the ball away when you don’t have it, and postseason play. Not much you see, can you get all that on one sleigh?

So where do we go from here? I will watch again and look for more specifics, but it will be the same old story. I am in some way relieved. Funny to even hear myself say that but after the last month only a mother would still believe. We haven’t been consistent in anything but inconsistency. Fifty-yard runs followed by three-yard losses. That probably is the most frustrating thing to watch. While watching the Beast roll I went through all the stages of grief waiting for him to score as he went down short of pay dirt. Too many times the Bills looked like a team that doesn’t know how to win, doesn’t know how to finish, finish drives let alone games. Players made plays to be sure, so I don’t fault them as much as I am starting to question the coaches. I am beginning to doubt that Jauron and company could take either team and beat the other one on a consistent basis. You know the old saying: he is one of those coaches that could take a his’n and beat a your’n and he could also take a your’n and beat a his’n. Maybe he is too cerebral, may be he is too nice, maybe he don’t cheat, all I know is he ain’t winnin’. I love my Bills and think DJ is a fine man, hell he shook my hand at the door to his office, but I am beginning to feel that he is that cheetah with spots that won’t change.

I hate the thought of starting over. Can we bring in a new regime and turn things around in one year like the Tuna in Miami, and what is going on in Atlanta? Things I think are: Cali boys don’t need to be quarterbacks in Buffalo. Too cold, for one thing. We need to draft some defensive ends; they are not getting around the corner fast enough. We need at least one linebacker with some size. We need a stud upfront to help in the rotation. Give me a young, hungry Haynesworth. We need an improvement at tight end to say the least, and we need a lock-down, shut-down, ball-hawking corner. And maybe an offensive line with some ‘tude. I want old school football: knock people off of the ball, take the ball away when you don’t have it, and postseason play. Not much you see, can you get all that on one sleigh?

Those teams have proven winners in place (in Miami) anyways,in Bill Parcells.We have a perrinniel(sp) loser in Jauron.Sometimes You get what you pay for and the Bills are getting exactly that.Skelltor and the Turk need to go.

I have been thinking about this all afternoon......

Nothing is going to change until that change comes at the very top. Effort AND MONEY need to be spent on someone who shows they can field a competitive team even when you lose a few starters which happens to all teams......we absolutely should not have relied on James Hardy to mature this year......christ they dont even throw to him.

I have been thinking about this all afternoon......

Nothing is going to change until that change comes at the very top. Effort AND MONEY need to be spent on someone who shows they can field a competitive team even when you lose a few starters which happens to all teams......we absolutely should not have relied on James Hardy to mature this year......christ they dont even throw to him.

John- I agree with you about it starting at the top- Wilson needs to let the guys he hires do their jobs and not micromanage them. They know more about football and personnel than he does.

We need to do what the Dolphins did. There are very few Parcells out there, but someone needs to come in, analyze the organization top to bottom, and make changes accordingly. While we blew 2 must win games, this team is still "in the playoff hunt" and despite today where it sounds like this team has a snowball chance in hell of making the playoffs, these next 4 games IMO will officially determine where this organization goes in the off season.

We need to do what the Dolphins did. There are very few Parcells out there, but someone needs to come in, analyze the organization top to bottom, and make changes accordingly. While we blew 2 must win games, this team is still "in the playoff hunt" and despite today where it sounds like this team has a snowball chance in hell of making the playoffs, these next 4 games IMO will officially determine where this organization goes in the off season.

You can forget the playoffs.....we may win one more game, but thats about it

The simple fact that the OP states "Cowher is a dream" and then goes on to suggest a perennial Playoff LOSER, states that he, too, knows the situation is hopeless. Ralph needs to die, the team needs to move, and the BILLS brand name needs to be left in Buffalo to be taken by the team that Jim Kelly and the investors he has gathered either grab from another city or create in an expansion year.

The problems with this franchise I used to think was that we didn't want to spend for talent. I don't think that anymore. I think we *have* talent on this team. I think the problem simply is a systemic and cultural issue.

It's not enough that we find a "good" coach. We need to find a coach who has won/been in the Superbowl. At least as an assistant. I think these guys and the coaches work hard - but it's not work that's enough or work that's smart. It would also really help, if that coach has won in the era of the salary cap.

In the past we've hired coaches post Levy that have had some success but not in a SuperBowl. Gregg Williams went to a Superbowl - but that organization was successful because of one guy, Jeff Fisher. And even then he did not win.

What needs to happen is that we need to get someone who has won with organizations like the Patriots, Giants, Steelers, Colts who have seen success and know what it takes. Once we find that guy we need to tell him that he has to bring the blueprint, none of this "this is how the Bills do it" bull sh--. He also had to hold guys accountable. I don't feel like there's any accountability on this team anymore.

Unfortunately I don't think the owner is into that anymore since Donahoe. We need to bring a guy in who knows what a winning football culture looks like. I think the guys who would fit that mold are:

Top preferences:

1) Bill Cowher (throw enough money and power at him and he *will* come)

2) John Fox (if there was somehow we can get him, he'd be a great fit)

3) Steve Mariucci

4) Jim Fassell

5) Steve Spagnuolo (Giants DC - consistent in 2 seasons. I think he's the next up and coming dude)

Second tier coaches:

1) Marty Schottenheimer

2) Bobby April

3) Brian Billick (sure he's a blowhard - but he has a swagger to him)

4) Russ Grimm

5) Jason Garrett (stock has fallen a little bit)

The bottom line is we need football guys who have had success running the show. None of this incestuous promotion from inside business for now. Frankly, we haven't had success inside to justify it. The guy also has to be able to handle the great pressure that he'll obviously feel in BUF.

First, we need a new coach. Like cale said, someone whose had success. Super Bowl or Super Bowl win would be nice. We definitley don't need a guy whose never been a HC but everyone says will be great. Tops on my list is Marty Schottenhiemer. Hasn't won the big one yet, but as a few years ago neither had Cowher or Coughlin or Dungy. We need to be competitive again quickly and Marty has a proven track record of turning bad to mediocre teams around in short order.

Second, we need a real QB. I'm tired of baby sitting draft choices who, if we're patient and let them suck for 2 or 3 years, they might be good. Screw that. Let's trade or get a free agent that's played a half dozen years and knows how to read defenses and has seen the 3-4, the 4-3, the Tampa 2, the flex, the 4-6, etc. Look at 6 teams who are seriously contending this year with free agents or trades at QB: the Jets with Favre, the Vikings with Ferrotte, the Fish with Pennington, the Bucs with Garcia, the Titans with Collins, and the Lards with Warner. Let's get a guy like that. Maybe go after McNabb or Pennington or whoever else might be there.

Improve our other personnel through the draft and free agency.

We do these three things and we could be a playoff team next year.

We need new faces in the organization. Like Obama said, this is CHANGE WE NEED.

We need rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh---kickers AND Methodists.

:blink:

First, we need a new coach. Like cale said, someone whose had success. Super Bowl or Super Bowl win would be nice. We definitley don't need a guy whose never been a HC but everyone says will be great. Tops on my list is Marty Schottenhiemer. Hasn't won the big one yet, but as a few years ago neither had Cowher or Coughlin or Dungy. We need to be competitive again quickly and Marty has a proven track record of turning bad to mediocre teams around in short order.

Second, we need a real QB. I'm tired of baby sitting draft choices who, if we're patient and let them suck for 2 or 3 years, they might be good. Screw that. Let's trade or get a free agent that's played a half dozen years and knows how to read defenses and has seen the 3-4, the 4-3, the Tampa 2, the flex, the 4-6, etc. Look at 6 teams who are seriously contending this year with free agents or trades at QB: the Jets with Favre, the Vikings with Ferrotte, the Fish with Pennington, the Bucs with Garcia, the Titans with Collins, and the Lards with Warner. Let's get a guy like that. Maybe go after McNabb or Pennington or whoever else might be there.

Improve our other personnel through the draft and free agency.

We do these three things and we could be a playoff team next year.

I meant to add that we need a vet free agent QB. Forgot. Yes, I think if McNabb is willing to come and play for 2-3 years at a reasonable cap hit, I'm for it. I think the biggest problem in developing a QB is that we haven't had a good vet guy the rookie/green QB can learn from here in a long time. I'm also for more making a run at Garcia.

I'm sick and tired of kid gloving QB psyches around here. Win and we'll support you. Lose and we'll sit your ass.

C

We need rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh---kickers AND Methodists.

:huh:

is that a ten gallon hat or are you just enjoying the show?