Levy's Legacy

BillsVet

Nearly three years have passed since Levy replaced the fired Tom Donahoe as GM. Ultimately, I believe Levy's legacy as GM depends on the first three picks of the 2007 draft: Lynch, Posluszny, and Edwards.

These decisions have all contributed to why the Bills are where they are:

1. Hiring Dick Jauron as HC, who in turn brought Fairchild, Schonert, and Fewell with him. None of the coordinators can be considered imaginative or successful. All are or were part of a problem.

2. The 2006 FA class, consisting of Tripplett, Royal, P. Price, Fowler, Reyes, Nall, A. Thomas, K. Thomas, Bowen, and Andre Davis, is nearly completely gone. Five are out of the NFL less than 3 seasons later.

3. Allowing Nate Clements to leave without any compensation. As GB did with Corey Williams last year, NC should have been franchised with the intent of having more time to sign or deal him. Getting nothing in return is inexcusable.

4. The 2006 draft has proven to be rather pedestrian. Whitner is not a playmaker, and McCargo is finished. Youboty is oft-injured, Simpson, Butler, and Williams are not great starters and should be replaced. Ellison is backup material. Trading a 2nd and 3rd for McCargo especially hurts.

5. The 07 FA class is overpaid and continues to be underachieving. Dockery and Walker were an example of throwing money at a lingering OL problem. Here, the difference between ML and TD was the amount was spent on lineman.

Hiring Marv was lampooned in NFL circles, and while I think Levy took one for Ralph's team, he probably should not have. It was a public relations move designed to attract fans back to the team after five bad years of Donahoe. Ralph bought three seasons with it, but the gig is up. Levy's tenure as a HC was the high point of nearly 50 years of Bills football. His GM legacy was not, even if brief.

Nearly three years have passed since Levy replaced the fired Tom Donahoe as GM. Ultimately, I believe Levy's legacy as GM depends on the first three picks of the 2007 draft: Lynch, Posluszny, and Edwards.

1. Hiring Dick Jauron as HC, who in turn brought Fairchild, Schonert, and Fewell with him. None of the coordinators can be considered imaginative or successful. All are or were part of a problem.

2. The 2006 FA class, consisting of Tripplett, Royal, P. Price, Fowler, Reyes, Nall, A. Thomas, K. Thomas, Bowen, and Andre Davis, is nearly completely gone. Five are out of the NFL less than 3 seasons later.

3. Allowing Nate Clements to leave without any compensation. As GB did with Corey Williams last year, NC should have been franchised with the intent of having more time to sign or deal him. Getting nothing in return is inexcusable.

4. The 2006 draft has proven to be rather pedestrian. Whitner is not a playmaker, and McCargo is finished. Youboty is oft-injured, Simpson, Butler, and Williams are not great starters and should be replaced. Ellison is backup material. Trading a 2nd and 3rd for McCargo especially hurts.

5. The 07 FA class is overpaid and continues to be underachieving. Dockery and Walker were an example of throwing money at a lingering OL problem. Here, the difference between ML and TD was the amount was spent on lineman.

Hiring Marv was lampooned in NFL circles, and while I think Levy took one for Ralph's team, he probably should not have. It was a public relations move designed to attract fans back to the team after five bad years of Donahoe. Ralph bought three seasons with it, but the gig is up. Levy's tenure as a HC was the high point of nearly 50 years of Bills football. His GM legacy was not, even if brief.

With the exception of #7, I agree. Dockery and Walker actually have helped pass protection tremendously. Our O-line weakness is Center and right guard (sorry Butler, like your intensity, but your skill level doesn't match it).

Marv Levy thought that, because he worked UNDER Polian, he could replicate his genius. But he was victim of his own hype. Marv should have been released and a real winning coach brought in after the second SB loss at the very LATEST, so as not to squander the ENTIRE squad's talents. Ralph, and the stunned fan base, allowed Marv to stay and get outcoached two more agonizing years, and then the bottom simply dropped out and the stars were too old to do it a fifth time. Legacy ruined by Marv's self-proclaimed genius and Ralph's obvious lack of football savvy.

I admit, I was under the Marv spell when he replaced Donaclueless, but his hiring of Jauron was a joke and I was scratching my head right there. And as a GM, Marv is no Polian, and he found that out the hard way and bowed out QUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK, didn't he?

Ralph is the problem. Always was. But Marv's "legacy" has GOT to include how he singlehandedly cost a SLEW of perennial NFLers their shot at the HOF as SB winners.

Marv Levy thought that, because he worked UNDER Polian, he could replicate his genius. But he was victim of his own hype. Marv should have been released and a real winning coach brought in after the second SB loss at the very LATEST, so as not to squander the ENTIRE squad's talents. Ralph, and the stunned fan base, allowed Marv to stay and get outcoached two more agonizing years, and then the bottom simply dropped out and the stars were too old to do it a fifth time. Legacy ruined by Marv's self-proclaimed genius and Ralph's obvious lack of football savvy.

I admit, I was under the Marv spell when he replaced Donaclueless, but his hiring of Jauron was a joke and I was scratching my head right there. And as a GM, Marv is no Polian, and he found that out the hard way and bowed out QUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK, didn't he?

Ralph is the problem. Always was. But Marv's "legacy" has GOT to include how he singlehandedly cost a SLEW of perennial NFLers their shot at the HOF as SB winners.

Never will I call Marv a bad person because he is an example of what the NFL should be. I'll always be disappointed he couldn't get that collection of talent a SB win, but that's ancient history.

Polian is the best GM in modern NFL history. He knew talent far more often than not, and I don't think Levy ever thought he could be a GM like BP. I truly believe Levy reluctantly accepted Wilson's plea to become GM and knew he would need assistance. They operated in a team fashion, although without the elements present during the Bills glory days.

Please don't misunderstand. What I say about Marv I do with a sour taste in my mouth because he IS everything I want in a Coach and Hero....except the finish. And that's the point. Why would we think he could create a winner here when he, himself, squandered the best talented bunch this league has ever seen four years running? He simply didn't have the football smarts to outsmart three successive coaches. In fact, he DIDN'T coach the Bills in those Superbowls. Jim Kelly did. Which is why the opponent coaching staffs beat the crap out of us. Marv let that happen.

I love the guy. Heck, I find it hard to hate anyone. Even Dick. But there are glaring clues and there are glaring clues, and when you, a mere fan, see them, and the millionaire owner doesn't appear to, or appears to see them but doesn't CARE, well, that just gets infuriating.

well said.....its ugly...this team is worse than last years team--and last years team was worse than 06s team.

Man you have brass balls but I agree 100%

I couldn't possibly disagree more with the notion that Brad Butler needs to replaced. Haven't you noticed how much better the O-line has been with him healthy? What have the Bills given up, one sack in the past four games Butler has played? I believe he missed all three divisional games, and the line was a complete train wreck with him out. It's looked much better otherwise.

Dockery and Walker, although too expensive, are effective enough also.

Get a legitimate center, and the line will be consistently good every week.

As a foot note to this post -I recall Polian was shoved out because of a conflict with Jeff Littmann - the TREASURER- perfect Bills mind set.

I've heard from numerous people that it's because he got into a conflict with Wilson's daughter. She apparently tried to tell Polian how to do his job; needless to say, he wasn't having it.

In all fairness, they did franchise Clements once. I think they figured at some point there was nothing to gain by franchising him again, they wanted to move forward. I think Clements was going to leave regardless and they didn't need to deal with it.

Not saying I agree with what happened.

I think it is hard to people to understand that the Bills have just recently rebuilt and the process takes more than 1 or 2 years. We have a 24 year old QB and a 22 year old running back. This is Trent's FIRST full year of starting. When the team was 5-1, honestly.. i was not very optimistic for this year because I knew that it would take a veteran type of effort from a very young team to continue to string wins together. I am happy with 6-6 right now believe it or not, because I see the potential for a great core of young players developing. The Bills situation in my opinion is great.

Look at the Rams!! They have washed up veterans with a lack of good young players. To tell you the truth I would rather be a Bills fan.

As a foot note to this post -I recall Polian was shoved out because of a conflict with Jeff Littmann - the TREASURER- perfect Bills mind set.
I agee with all these posts, but the ultimate responsibility for Superbowls losts and opportunities forever waisted is Ralph Wilson. While he is owner our beloved "Bills" will never again get to the Bowl or even playoffs. Its not just about the money with Ralph, its about people in the organization getting along with him. Leavy was brought back because he got along with Ralph. Russ Brandon is here because he is Ralph's lap dog and does what he is told. I am along time "Bills" fan I bleed red.white,blue but enough is enough. Ralph need to sell the franchise,make is family even richer and if the franchise is moved its moved and we as a community can begin healing process rather than deluding our selves into believing we have a shot at ever being winners.

I think it is hard to people to understand that the Bills have just recently rebuilt and the process takes more than 1 or 2 years. We have a 24 year old QB and a 22 year old running back. This is Trent's FIRST full year of starting. When the team was 5-1, honestly.. i was not very optimistic for this year because I knew that it would take a veteran type of effort from a very young team to continue to string wins together. I am happy with 6-6 right now believe it or not, because I see the potential for a great core of young players developing. The Bills situation in my opinion is great.

Look at the Rams!! They have washed up veterans with a lack of good young players. To tell you the truth I would rather be a Bills fan.

Great. So you'd rather have the Bills' roster than the Lions' roster. Is this what it has come to? While beer goggles can make even the most mediocre chick look hot, nothing can hide the fact that the Bills are a third-rate product, thanks to Levy, Modrak, Guy, Overdorf and Brandon.

POST OF THE YEAR in my opinion. And the commentary about Ralph placing a premium on his front office staff doing HIS bidding is right on the money as well. The one constant through all the losing is Mr. Wilson - if he ever gets tired of losing, he should either take a long hard look in the mirror, or sell the team.

I agree with the statements about Dick Jauron, the coaching staff, and the '06 free agency class. I see where Marv was going by bringing in Triplett as he was coming off of a championship team and seemed to be a major factor in their ability to stop the run, though.

Now, you're Nate Clements comments just show that you have a misinformed opinion. We had already slapped the franchise tag on Nate once, and promised to let him walk after that one time. Now you may think that we were dumb for not slapping him with it again, but do you realize that every time you slap the franchise tag on a player after the first time the price tag goes up by $2 million each time? Nate would have been receiving more from the Bills than he is getting in San Francisco.

Whitner is a fine player, and is consistently around the ball looking to make a play, as well as filling the role of leadership in the locker room. Butler is the best right guard we have had in a while and no other back carries for more yards a carry in the NFL behind the right guard slots more than Lynch behind Butler. Kyle Williams is undersized but certainly not a horrible player and Keith Ellison was merely meant to be a special teamer.

I'm sorry, i realize that we just were handed one of the worst losses we could've imagined this season, but it certainly doesn't give you the right to make a mis-informed and idotic statement like this.

You are unhappy with the coaching staff? Fine, we all are. But to say that key players on this team and the smart moves our front office made concerning Clements, Dockery, and Walker are completely off balance simply wrong. I am pretty sure you can hear people in San Francisco asking why they paid so much for Nate Clements.

Just remember hindsight is always 20/20, and you sir are only proving the point.

I've heard from numerous people that it's because he got into a conflict with Wilson's daughter. She apparently tried to tell Polian how to do his job; needless to say, he wasn't having it.

Agreed - we really need to go after Littman and Wilson's daughter.... Noone gets a free pass here... 0:):wub:

Despite what everyone thinks, Levy was only a mediocre coach who lucked out in having multiple Hall of Fame caliber players.

Sorry, but no way do I buy this. Which came first, the winning, or the Hall of fame?

It's harder to diagnose losing than winning. To win at the level the Superbowl Bills did a lot of things have to go right, including talent, coaching and an effective organization. I think the coaching then was very good, and no doubt worlds beyond what we have now.

Along these lines, I'd like to see someone step up and say clearly that calling time outs because the players don't line up fast enough, the plays haven't come in on time, the wrong players are on the field, the QB can't read a defense and audible etc. is NOT acceptible. Yes, these happen to all teams sometime, but should not be a crutch. These timeouts are just markers of a poorly run team (coaching).

Time outs should be seen as vauable strategic resources that allow you to challenge plays and help you put points on the board. Trying to get a FG in the last minute of the first half should not be considered a risky maneuver.

So yeah, I think our coaching is lacking, but to be critical of Levy-era coaching is nit-picking at best. (And that's when examples are provided.)