Turner Gill

nuklz2594

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you pass some of that over here?

We'll get UB up there first, then Miami(OH). Perhaps Buffalo (Bills or Bulls) could play 3 Miami's in one year.

After the Bills lost to the Dolphins, I took some idiolic comfort when UB beat Miami(OH) so I could still claim to my Fish fans at work that Buffalo beat Miami. They didn't buy into it much.

Can you pass some of that over here?

While most of these UB fans are dilusional on here about how "hot" a candidate their coach is, and how UB and Syracuse are equal in terms of football programs, I think there is merit for Buffalo joining the Big East.

There have been about 20 coaches that have done what Gill has done in the MAC, and a lot more, over about the last 10 years. Some of the comments on here about UB are downright laughable.

BUT, I was thinking about this over the weekend in therms of UB in the Big East. Why not? If UB wants to be a major player, they would need to commit to facilities big time. Not just in football, but every other sport. That's step #1. But, with the Big East taking a huge hit when all of their teams left, why would they not want to add the Buffalo market (which would be a HUGE college market) to their conference?

Buffalo is now a natural fit. Think of the big cities in the Big East.....Pittsburgh, New England area (UCONN), Louisville, Cincinnati, NJ/NYC (Kinda),Tampa and then established big fan bases such as WVU and the Syracuse potential. Buffalo would be a great fit. As no doubt South Florida will someday drop out, Buffalo should try to get in to the BIg East and then the conference could just "settle down" over the next 5-10 years, and let these big cities (college speaking) grow some fan bases and rivalries. I think the Big East would do well to add Buffalo to it's market. UB could also play at the Ralph in big games, if not all of them. At least until the upgrade their stadium.

Hell, if the Big East would be progressive in football, they could go grab Toledo too.

Oh well, as a non UB fan, I'd actually think it would be cool to see them in the Big East. They should make a run at it.

While most of these UB fans are dilusional on here about how "hot" a candidate their coach is, and how UB and Syracuse are equal in terms of football programs, I think there is merit for Buffalo joining the Big East.

There have been about 20 coaches that have done what Gill has done in the MAC, and a lot more, over about the last 10 years. Some of the comments on here about UB are downright laughable.

BUT, I was thinking about this over the weekend in therms of UB in the Big East. Why not? If UB wants to be a major player, they would need to commit to facilities big time. Not just in football, but every other sport. That's step #1. But, with the Big East taking a huge hit when all of their teams left, why would they not want to add the Buffalo market (which would be a HUGE college market) to their conference?

Buffalo is now a natural fit. Think of the big cities in the Big East.....Pittsburgh, New England area (UCONN), Louisville, Cincinnati, NJ/NYC (Kinda),Tampa and then established big fan bases such as WVU and the Syracuse potential. Buffalo would be a great fit. As no doubt South Florida will someday drop out, Buffalo should try to get in to the BIg East and then the conference could just "settle down" over the next 5-10 years, and let these big cities (college speaking) grow some fan bases and rivalries. I think the Big East would do well to add Buffalo to it's market. UB could also play at the Ralph in big games, if not all of them. At least until the upgrade their stadium.

Hell, if the Big East would be progressive in football, they could go grab Toledo too.

Oh well, as a non UB fan, I'd actually think it would be cool to see them in the Big East. They should make a run at it.

Another school the Big East ought to consider is UMass. Their basketball team is in the A-10 but football is D-1AA. But like UConn was, they are a consistent playoff team and considering a move to D1. Plus UMass would fill the hole left by BC.

The only question is what about basketball? The Big East is already loaded with basketball-only schools. If they added UB and UMass, could they be football-only, or would they have to add the basketball teams as well? That would push the Big East to 18 basketball teams.

PTR

I have long harbored the thought (fantasy until as of late) that UB would and the Big East would make a great fit. First, you would have a great naturally rivalry with SU, and then as Lv pointed out, you have the regional connection with the other conference schools (safe for USF). If the program can continue at a consistent level of respectability and success for the next five years or so, then I think that this idea could become a reality.

I have long harbored the thought (fantasy until as of late) that UB would and the Big East would make a great fit. First, you would have a great naturally rivalry with SU, and then as Lv pointed out, you have the regional connection with the other conference schools (safe for USF). If the program can continue at a consistent level of respectability and success for the next five years or so, then I think that this idea could become a reality.

I don't think it has anything to do with respectability on the field. It has everything to do with can the Big East pull in a market that would be lucrative for their conference? I say, without a doubt, yes.

Now, the rest would fall on UB's shoulders. UB needs the facilities to do this. Period. But they already could have a plan in place similar to what other teams in the Big East do (Pitt and USF). Play at their local NFL Stadium. The Buffalo market would be prime for the Big East to come to the area. Think about, what interest their is in college football would be greatly improved in a market that is more than suitable to pay college prices for tickets. The Buffalo area grew up on the Big East, and bringing it right to their doorstep would be a windfall for UB and the conference. This is different than saying let's go get Ball State or most any other MAC schools to play in the Big East because most other MAC school "areas" follow, and have followed the Big Ten for years. Buffalo, however, is a huge Big East supporter. Again, a natural fit. Buffalo is also a big city compared to most of the MAC schools. Similar, as we said, to other Big East cities.

The natural rivalry is already there with SU. To some extent, it would be there with Pitt as well.

Now this is a real pipe dream, but could you imagine the following Big East Conference:

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Syracuse

Boston College

UCONN

Rutgers

Temple

West Virginia

Marshall

Louisville

Cincinnati

How cool would that be? And look at all of the natural rivalries. This would be a league that would thrive over time. Pipe dream, but it would be pretty cool to see, IMO. If anything, at least it would be a more true Big East.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but there was a great piece on the UB program yesterday on ESPN's Outside The Lines. They said UB had only been invited to one other bowl game in it's entire football history, back in 1958. UB TURNED DOWN the invite, citing 'principles' as the location of the bowl was still in a segregated part of the country. Very forthright and forward thinking.

Cudos UB! and Congrats on a wonderful season!! :o

Does anybody know where their conference championship game will be played. I'm hoping right here in Chattanooga, TN.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but there was a great piece on the UB program yesterday on ESPN's Outside The Lines. They said UB had only been invited to one other bowl game in it's entire football history, back in 1958. UB TURNED DOWN the invite, citing 'principles' as the location of the bowl was still in a segregated part of the country. Very forthright and forward thinking.

Cudos UB! and Congrats on a wonderful season!! :o

Does anybody know where their conference championship game will be played. I'm hoping right here in Chattanooga, TN.

There have been a couple other threads over the weekend about the OTL piece...a wonderful story to be sure.

And the MAC Championship game will be played in Detroit (as it always is) on December 5, with the game being on ESPN2.

I don't think it has anything to do with respectability on the field. It has everything to do with can the Big East pull in a market that would be lucrative for their conference? I say, without a doubt, yes.

Now, the rest would fall on UB's shoulders. UB needs the facilities to do this. Period. But they already could have a plan in place similar to what other teams in the Big East do (Pitt and USF). Play at their local NFL Stadium. The Buffalo market would be prime for the Big East to come to the area. Think about, what interest their is in college football would be greatly improved in a market that is more than suitable to pay college prices for tickets. The Buffalo area grew up on the Big East, and bringing it right to their doorstep would be a windfall for UB and the conference. This is different than saying let's go get Ball State or most any other MAC schools to play in the Big East because most other MAC school "areas" follow, and have followed the Big Ten for years. Buffalo, however, is a huge Big East supporter. Again, a natural fit. Buffalo is also a big city compared to most of the MAC schools. Similar, as we said, to other Big East cities.

The natural rivalry is already there with SU. To some extent, it would be there with Pitt as well.

Now this is a real pipe dream, but could you imagine the following Big East Conference:

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Syracuse

Boston College

UCONN

Rutgers

Temple

West Virginia

Marshall

Louisville

Cincinnati

How cool would that be? And look at all of the natural rivalries. This would be a league that would thrive over time. Pipe dream, but it would be pretty cool to see, IMO. If anything, at least it would be a more true Big East.

You just can't wait to get UB out of the MAC we scare you that much! :o

I like your ambitious vision for the conference, but with that many schools, there would have to be a Big East East and West. And I don't think Penn State would ever leave the Big 10. I think a more reasonable plan is to add a few more eastern region schools and go from there. The Big East def needs a makeover though, that's for sure.

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Syracuse

Boston College

UCONN

Rutgers

Temple

West Virginia

Marshall

Louisville

Cincinnati

What about ECU? They are currently in Conference USA and I think are looking for a BCS conference as their program contiunes to grow under Skip Holz. I think there is 0% chance they could join the ACC which would make more sense regionally (since they have already expanded).

Gill was a finalist for the Nebraska job, and his name is being mentioned elsewhere. He'd be stupid to take over the train wreck that is Syracuse football circa 2008. Gill is not a stupid man. (And I'm not a UB fan, although it is nice to see them doing well.)

But don't ask me, ask Sports Illustrated college beat writer Andy Staples: Buffalo's Gill gaining respect after earning his recruiting wings

Or the folks at nationalchamps.net, a site which belongs to FWAA and has a Heisman vote: Gill No. 5 on list of "Most Wanted Coaches"

And not sure how much play this got when it happened, but Washington (where the Ty Willingham era approaches its final game) interviewed Warde Manuel -- twice -- for their AD job earlier this year. Think they asked him any questions about his football coach while he was out there?

On another note, Penn State in the Big East? Perfect fit, but that ship done sailed. We weren't good enough for Gavitt, Crouthamel, and Boeheim when we applied to join the conference in 1982 -- six weeks before they INVITED Pitt -- so why should we grace them with our presence now?

Excellent post Lori. He's definitely a hot coaching prospect, but something tells me (ala PTR's posts) that Gill doesn't see his job as being done here at UB. I think (and hope!) that he sticks around for a while and really builds this program into a consistent winner (years of his recruiting will make that so).

Gill was a finalist for the Nebraska job, and his name is being mentioned elsewhere. He'd be stupid to take over the train wreck that is Syracuse football circa 2008. Gill is not a stupid man. (And I'm not a UB fan, although it is nice to see them doing well.)

But don't ask me, ask Sports Illustrated college beat writer Andy Staples: Buffalo's Gill gaining respect after earning his recruiting wings

Or the folks at nationalchamps.net, a site which belongs to FWAA and has a Heisman vote: Gill No. 5 on list of "Most Wanted Coaches"

And not sure how much play this got when it happened, but Washington (where the Ty Willingham era approaches its final game) interviewed Warde Manuel -- twice -- for their AD job earlier this year. Think they asked him any questions about his football coach while he was out there?

On another note, Penn State in the Big East? Perfect fit, but that ship done sailed. We weren't good enough for Gavitt, Crouthamel, and Boeheim when we applied to join the conference in 1982 -- six weeks before they INVITED Pitt -- so why should we grace them with our presence now?

I agree with everything you said, but the chance to dominate a weak conference with an automatic BCS bid has to be enticing to at least some PSU alum.

Brady Hoke, from Ball State was said to have a shot for the Michigan job as well. Big Deal. Same deal, Hoke had already been a coach at Michigan, came to Ball State, turned it around.....and just like Gill.....didn't get it. Every coach that is doing well in the MAC is rumored to go other places all the time.

Again, big friggin deal. The next logical step for a coach like Gill, just like Urban Meyer when he left Bowling Green for Utah, or Gary Pinkel for Missouri (who was god awful at the time he tok over) and the rest of the MAC coaches would be somewhere like Syracuse. The Big East is conference where quick turnarounds are not only possible, but BCS bids can be had about as easy as anywhere in the country.

Case in point, the former Central Michigan coach now at Cincinnati. Cincy was a broken, never been anywhere program. Now look at them courtesy of a former MAC coach. They are knocking on the BCS door. Cincinnati was as bad a destination as Syracuse. now it's turned around.

Terry Hoeppner, who died, was Miami's coach. He had Indiana, which is an abysmal program, going in the right direction and even got them to a bowl game. Then comes Bill Lynch, the guy who was in charge before Hoke was hired at Ball State and has run them back in to the ground. Hoeppner, however, had that team and program on the upswing.

Randy Walker left the MAC to rescue a terrible Northwestern situation. He actually started making progress, after installing a spread offense and then died. Again, MAC to bad D-1 situation in Northwestern. See a trend here? And all of these coaches accmplished 5 times more than Gill in the MAC.

Hot MAC coaches are a dime a dozen. I'm still waiting to hear from someone what separates Gill from the rest of the MAC coaches who have actually accomplished more!?!?!!?

The next step for MAC coaches usually are the Syracuse types. I'm not sure I can think of a recent MAC coach that has gone from the MAC straight to a national power or a nationally known "traditional" powerhouse.

Trust me, when Gill gets offered 8 times his salary to go to a BCS conference, he'll be gone in a minute. Buffalo is NOT a place where coaches are going to pass up other big time offers just to stay put. UB will be a launching pad for any coach wanting to reach the big time.

If Gill is half as good as most of you make him out to be, he should be winning the Big East in the next three years.

I have mixed emotions about this. I think it's great that Gill has resurrected the UB program, and it's awesome that the Bulls are going to a bowl game this year. I wouldn't mind if he stayed.

OTOH, he's the kind of coach needed at my alma mater, SU. Gill already knows how to recruit in this part of the country, which was Greg Robinson's biggest weakness.

IMO, Gill leaves UB only to take a job at a Big 12 school or in another strong conference, not the Big East.

Brady Hoke, from Ball State was said to have a shot for the Michigan job as well. Big Deal. Same deal, Hoke had already been a coach at Michigan, came to Ball State, turned it around.....and just like Gill.....didn't get it. Every coach that is doing well in the MAC is rumored to go other places all the time.

Again, big friggin deal. The next logical step for a coach like Gill, just like Urban Meyer when he left Bowling Green for Utah, or Gary Pinkel for Missouri (who was god awful at the time he tok over) and the rest of the MAC coaches would be somewhere like Syracuse. The Big East is conference where quick turnarounds are not only possible, but BCS bids can be had about as easy as anywhere in the country.

Case in point, the former Central Michigan coach now at Cincinnati. Cincy was a broken, never been anywhere program. Now look at them courtesy of a former MAC coach. They are knocking on the BCS door. Cincinnati was as bad a destination as Syracuse. now it's turned around.

Terry Hoeppner, who died, was Miami's coach. He had Indiana, which is an abysmal program, going in the right direction and even got them to a bowl game. Then comes Bill Lynch, the guy who was in charge before Hoke was hired at Ball State and has run them back in to the ground. Hoeppner, however, had that team and program on the upswing.

Hot MAC coaches are a dime a dozen. I'm still waiting to hear from someone what separates Gill from the rest of the MAC coaches who have actually accomplished more!?!?!!?

The next step for MAC coaches usually are the Syracuse types. I'm not sure I can think of a recent MAC coach that has gone from the MAC straight to a national power or a nationally known "traditional" powerhouse.

Trust me, when Gill gets offered 8 times his salary to go to a BCS conference, he'll be gone in a minute. Buffalo is NOT a place where coaches are going to pass up other big time offers just to stay put. UB will be a launching pad for any coach wanting to reach the big time.

If Gill is half as good as most of you make him out to be, he should be winning the Big East in the next three years.

I agree 100%. Gil would be foolish to pass up the opportunity, if presented, to go to SU.

I have mixed emotions about this. I think it's great that Gill has resurrected the UB program, and it's awesome that the Bulls are going to a bowl game this year. I wouldn't mind if he stayed.

OTOH, he's the kind of coach needed at my alma mater, SU. Gill already knows how to recruit in this part of the country, which was Greg Robinson's biggest weakness.

IMO, Gill leaves UB only to take a job at a Big 12 school or in another strong conference, not the Big East.

Another strong conference.....that means ANY BCS Conference. There are tons of examples, recently, of MAC coaches doing this. To think Gill wouldn't is ludicrous.

Another strong conference.....that means ANY BCS Conference. There are tons of examples, recently, of MAC coaches doing this. To think Gill wouldn't is ludicrous.

I understand your point...but let me ask you this...which conference do you think is the stronger conference right now...the MAC or the Big East? I think the Big East continues to be in shambles, while I think the MAC continues to grow in strength and national respect. I'm only taking about football of course, and I do understand the fact that the Big East is BCS and the MAC is not, but I think the top four or five teams in the MAC are right up there or better than the same number from the Big East.