Turner Gill

nuklz2594

Another strong conference.....that means ANY BCS Conference. There are tons of examples, recently, of MAC coaches doing this. To think Gill wouldn't is ludicrous.

To the Big 10, sure -- a head coaching job there is a step up from the MAC. Name one, other than Kelly (who took over a bowl-eligible team from Mark Dantonio, who left for Michigan State), in the Big East.

WVU: Bill Stewart (WVU asst coach, CFL)

USF: Jim Leavitt (K-State def coord, started USF program)

Rutgers: Greg Schiano (Miami, Fl. asst coach)

Cuse: Robinson (TX def coord, NFL 1990-2003)

Louisville: Steve Kragthorpe (Tulsa, Bills QB coach, TX A&M off coord)

UConn: Randy Edsall (GT def coord, Jax DBs, BC DBs; hired when UConn was I-AA)

Pitt: Dave Wannstedt (Dolphins, Bears, Cowboys, Miami, OK State, Pitt; quit the Fins during 4-12 season)

ONE of those men, Kragthorpe, held a Division 1 head coaching job when a Big East team came calling. And speaking of Louisville, wasn't that long ago when John L. Smith decided MSU was an upgrade. Come to think of it, didn't RichRod just do the same thing when he left Morgantown for Ann Arbor?

If Syracuse is the only suitor, Gill would have a decision to make. But if it's matched up against most any other BCS job, Cuse loses. And I think he gets a look-see from at least one school not based in CNY.

We'll see.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gill constantly stresses that he came to Buffalo because that's where the lord "told him to go". Obviously it was some kind of destiny when you consider the massive rebuilding project....the last second heroics time and time again this year... and the redemption exactly 50 yrs later of UB's only bowl bid getting torn apart by racism (and now UB being led by a black coach to kick down that door).

Personally, I doubt TG wants to take on another huge rebuilding project. There are other BCS schools that will have openings with much more talent already on campus. I'd be surprised if he went to SU....but if he does, I will be a big SU fan and still a UB fan.

To the Big 10, sure -- a head coaching job there is a step up from the MAC. Name one, other than Kelly (who took over a bowl-eligible team from Mark Dantonio, who left for Michigan State), in the Big East.

WVU: Bill Stewart (WVU asst coach, CFL)

USF: Jim Leavitt (K-State def coord, started USF program)

Rutgers: Greg Schiano (Miami, Fl. asst coach)

Cuse: Robinson (TX def coord, NFL 1990-2003)

Louisville: Steve Kragthorpe (Tulsa, Bills QB coach, TX A&M off coord)

UConn: Randy Edsall (GT def coord, Jax DBs, BC DBs; hired when UConn was I-AA)

Pitt: Dave Wannstedt (Dolphins, Bears, Cowboys, Miami, OK State, Pitt; quit the Fins during 4-12 season)

ONE of those men, Kragthorpe, held a Division 1 head coaching job when a Big East team came calling. And speaking of Louisville, wasn't that long ago when John L. Smith decided MSU was an upgrade. Come to think of it, didn't RichRod just do the same thing when he left Morgantown for Ann Arbor?

If Syracuse is the only suitor, Gill would have a decision to make. But if it's matched up against any other BCS job, Cuse loses. And I think he gets a look-see from at least one school not based in CNY.

We'll see.

The Big East has nothing to do with it. I'm as big of a MAC fan as they come, but come on people, my god. Here is the difference. There aren't 600 success stories from MAC coaches leaving and being in the BCS, but there are some really nice stories, spread throughout the conferences, FROM COMPARABLE SCHOOLS. This means Missouri, Utah, Cincinnati, Urban Meyer, Terry Hoeppner, Gary Pinkel, Randy Walker, and the list goes on and on. The Big East happens to be comparable because most of their schools have taken a big blow from the the big three leaving. However, the fact that they have their BCS ticket makes them 750 times better than ANY school in the MAC. The Big East is mentioned now, because it would be the easiest way to reach the BCS the fastest. And if you are any kind of coach, and you can maintain success, you should be able to compete for a BCS bid each and every year.

Case in point, I think Ball State could win the Big East. I think Central Michigan or maybe even Western could win the Big East. I have no doubt. None of those three jobs in the MAC are better than ANY job in the Big East. NONE. The fact that Ball State is 11-0 with wins over BCS conference teams, and bowl bound Navy says so right there. The fact that Ball State is ranked 14th in the BCS behind Utah, Boise, and TCfugginU (with 2 losses) is a joke. It just says to anyone wanting to coach in the MAC, that you are crazy for wanting to do so. Seriously, TCU is ahead of Ball State. TCU with 2 losses.

Here's the difference between the Big East and the MAC. You can be killing the MAC, and play in what is considered a big game in the MAC and play in front of about 20,000 fans (most of time not even close to that) if you are lucky. Most schools like Eastern Michigan, Kent, Northern Ill, etc draw actual attendances of about 2,000-5,000 people. They all announce their ticket sales as higher, but fannies in the seats are abysmal. In the Big East, WVU, Rutgers, Pitt, etc all draw real football crowds. They all have a traveling contingent should they make bowl games. They all have revenue generating teams that can PAY THEIR COACHES. MAC schools still have to take handouts from larger teams to make ends meet. MAC schools still play more games on the road than they do at home, because they make a ton more money at a big boy than they make hosting a home game vs. a 1-AA team.

If the Big East is so bad like all of you are trying to make it out to be, and Turner Gill could turn around UB, then why wouldn't he take the same challenge in a BCS conference? Seriously, UB sucked, and so does Syracuse. Syracuse plays in a much better conference A(but also the weakest BCS conference), so why not go there and do the same thing he supposedly is doing at UB and make a BCS game? The Big East is the MAC of the BCS conferences. That's not a bad thing though.

You gotta put those feelings aside and realize that UB is insignicant in college football. Most people don't even know that UB is a division 1 program. As is the story for Ball State. It sucks that college football is set up like this, but it is. Ball State has been televised on the ESPN networks almost every game this season. It's been really cooll. It's also played much of it's schedule on Tuesday and Wednesday, because they are a "sideshow" so to speak. It shows you where the MAC stands.

If Gill does decent in Syracuse, he'll be on natioanl TV, in front of about 50,000 fans, playing for a ticket to win a multi-million dolllar payout and a huge raise. There's your difference between UB and Syracuse, and if you people don't think he'll take it, you are nuts.

Instead of replying to that rant, I'll merely repeat this:

If Syracuse is the only suitor, Gill would have a decision to make. But if it's matched up against most any other BCS job, Cuse loses. And I think he gets a look-see from at least one school not based in CNY.

We'll see.

Instead of replying to that rant, I'll merely repeat this:

I agree with you on this. I mean seriously, if I were a baseball coach and the Pirates came calling along with the Astros, of course I'd choose Houston.

But if if it comes to the Pirates (syracuse) or the AAA Buffalo Bisons (UB), it's still a no brainer to take the Pirates job.

Syracuse > UB

You gotta put those feelings aside and realize that UB is insignicant in college football. Most people don't even know that UB is a division 1 program. As is the story for Ball State. It sucks that college football is set up like this, but it is. Ball State has been televised on the ESPN networks almost every game this season. It's been really cooll. It's also played much of it's schedule on Tuesday and Wednesday, because they are a "sideshow" so to speak. It shows you where the MAC stands.

I agree, though up until the last 2 years, it was insignificant in western new york and I'd bet on-campus as well. While I agree UB does not appear on the national NCAAF screen, UB is not an insignificant university in terms of enrollment and should have resources, and now the desire, to transform themselves into a BCS conference school. It may be up to the state university heads to set the ball in motion. Although I believe, some of the help would have to come from Albany, which, if its anything like the state legislature, aid will get stifled by power-brobering politicos. It was Albany that killed UB football in the late 60's when they refused to allow athletic scholarships.

I agree, though up until the last 2 years, it was insignificant in western new york and I'd bet on-campus as well. While I agree UB does not appear on the national NCAAF screen, UB is not an insignificant university in terms of enrollment and should have resources, and now the desire, to transform themselves into a BCS conference school. It may be up to the state university heads to set the ball in motion. Although I believe, some of the help would have to come from Albany, which, if its anything like the state legislature, aid will get stifled by power-brobering politicos. It was Albany that killed UB football in the late 60's when they refused to allow athletic scholarships.

While I agree with you here, a lot of the MAC schools are significant in terms of enrollment. I believe Kent is even over 45,000 students. Something crazy like that. I don't feel like looking this up, but I believe at one time, not more than 10 years ago, the MAC was leading the nation in total student enrollment. Even greater than the Big Ten, etc.

Don't hold me to that, but I'm almost positive that was the case.

While I agree with you here, a lot of the MAC schools are significant in terms of enrollment. I believe Kent is even over 45,000 students. Something crazy like that. I don't feel like looking this up, but I believe at one time, not more than 10 years ago, the MAC was leading the nation in total student enrollment. Even greater than the Big Ten, etc.

Don't hold me to that, but I'm almost positive that was the case.

FYI...for 2007 (the most recent year I could find), UB's enrollment was over 28,000. That seems fairly significant to me.

And dude...why are you spending so much time belittling the UB program? Ball State isn't exactly a national sports power either. If I were you, I'd be worrying more about tonights game than trying to convince everyone what an insignificant school UB is.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said...

We'll see.