U.S. News And World Report Has A Debate In It About

Steely Dan

Should they or shouldn't they?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Churches should be allowed to keep their tax exempt status..

• Even if they endorse a particular candidate.
    • Only if they avoid endorsing a particular candidate.

In the November 17-24th issue of U.S. News and World Report there is a debate on pages 10 and 11 between Ron Johnson Jr. and Rev. Barry W. Lynn. Johnson arguing that free speech allows a church to make endorsements and still keep the tax exempt status. Lynn argues that churches should not be allowed to make political endorsements and keep their tax exempt status.

I'm not going to paraphrase each argument, I don't have time now, but I'll add some of their points as this thread goes on.

In the November 17-24th issue of U.S. News and World Report there is a debate on pages 10 and 11 between Ron Johnson Jr. and Rev. Barry W. Lynn. Johnson arguing that free speech allows a church to make endorsements and still keep the tax exempt status. Lynn argues that churches should not be allowed to make political endorsements and keep their tax exempt status.

I'm not going to paraphrase each argument, I don't have time now, but I'll add some of their points as this thread goes on.

Personally, I think all organized religion is a sham and they should be paying taxes like every other for-profit company.

Well, as one of those 'dumb' people who goes to church regularly for my 'organized religion', my opinion is that the church should stay out of politics...period. While I can't speak for any other of those 'dumb' churches, ours avoids making political statements or trying to sway the congregation one way or another.

I do feel they should retain their tax exempt status though. I attend a non-denominational Christian church. For those of you who have issues with organized religion how many of you have attended and been active in a church in the past? Just curious...not confromtational.

Well, as one of those 'dumb' people who goes to church regularly for my 'organized religion', my opinion is that the church should stay out of politics...period. While I can't speak for any other of those 'dumb' churches, ours avoids making political statements or trying to sway the congregation one way or another.

I do feel they should retain their tax exempt status though. I attend a non-denominational Christian church. For those of you who have issues with organized religion how many of you have attended and been active in a church in the past? Just curious...not confromtational.

My father is a minister. I've seen too many things in churches to believe they have any real effect on how parishoners strive to be better people. It seems most people go there to alleviate their fears of going to hell.

I believe in God but I think he's disgusted by all organized religions.

My father is a minister. I've seen too many things in churches to believe they have any real effect on how parishoners strive to be better people. It seems most people go there to alleviate their fears of going to hell.

I believe in God but I think he's disgusted by all organized religions.

I can respect that. Any time you 'organize' there's going to be politics. I have seen this firsthand and would be lying if I said otherwise. For me though, I know what I believe but I also know how good it is for children to learn and then be able to make their own decisions. My boys happily go to a weekly youth group that I feel has benefitted them greatly by keeping them centered and helping to instill character beyond what my wife and I teach them. They also have their peers to discuss the challenges they face in life- such things as sex, masterbation and you get the drift...things that they can discuss in a comfortable setting with others who share their values.

I don't try to scare my boys that they'll go to hell if they don't repent, but more so to provide them a foundation from which they can make sound decisions in their life, fully understanding that they're going to make mistakes. I guess this is off-topic and some smart guy will jump in with a real 'zinger' but you seem to be mature enough to discuss this with.

I can respect that. Any time you 'organize' there's going to be politics. I have seen this firsthand and would be lying if I said otherwise. For me though, I know what I believe but I also know how good it is for children to learn and then be able to make their own decisions. My boys happily go to a weekly youth group that I feel has benefitted them greatly by keeping them centered and helping to instill character beyond what my wife and I teach them. They also have their peers to discuss the challenges they face in life- such things as sex, masterbation and you get the drift...things that they can discuss in a comfortable setting with others who share their values.

I don't try to scare my boys that they'll go to hell if they don't repent, but more so to provide them a foundation from which they can make sound decisions in their life, fully understanding that they're going to make mistakes. I guess this is off-topic and some smart guy will jump in with a real 'zinger' but you seem to be mature enough to discuss this with.

If you feel that's the way to do it then do it. I have no problem with religion as long as those who practice it keep it out of my life.

If you feel that's the way to do it then do it. I have no problem with religion as long as those who practice it keep it out of my life.

But unfortunately that's not how their wired. We put our house up for sale last week. We had a realtor bring someone in and they left us a religious pamphlet on our counter. Needless to say my wife and I were livid and called our realtor to let him know.

Where is the option for: "They shouldn't be tax exempt at all and can deduct legitimate charitable costs like any other organization".

Something we agree on, if that's what you think, that is.

Doesn't the requirement of the state to recognize the religion as legit go against the "separation of Church and State"? To be really separate, IMO, any religion is legit, and they should pay taxes just like any other business.