Obama Needs To Speak To Nation Now

I've heard Bush is holding up the Detroit bailout to get a f'n free trade deal with POS Columbia? Bush was all behind the bank bailout, providing leadership on that issue, but he is MIA now. Obama needs to explain--yet again--what deep sh-- the country is in. Consumer spending is plummeting, unemployment is rising, bankruptcies are increasing at alarming rates and having the Big Three file for bankruptcy will only make matters worse. I don't like having to do it, but from where I sit it sure looks like a necessary step to keep the economy from going completly down the tubes. I mean who would buy a car from a bankrupt company? All those auto workers without work will not be good for the economy at all. If this was a normal time I might consider letting the big three get what they might deserve, but not now. Just can't take that hit.

Folks, this really could be the big one.

I've heard Bush is holding up the Detroit bailout to get a f'n free trade deal with POS Columbia? Bush was all behind the bank bailout, providing leadership on that issue, but he is MIA now. Obama needs to explain--yet again--what deep sh-- the country is in. Consumer spending is plummeting, unemployment is rising, bankruptcies are increasing at alarming rates and having the Big Three file for bankruptcy will only make matters worse. I don't like having to do it, but from where I sit it sure looks like a necessary step to keep the economy from going completly down the tubes. I mean who would buy a car from a bankrupt company? All those auto workers without work will not be good for the economy at all. If this was a normal time I might consider letting the big three get what they might deserve, but not now. Just can't take that hit.

Don't you love it when politics comes before the good of the country? F^@& the politicians!

Screw the companies and unions . They got into it let them get out. Go bankrupt

I believe Obama has resigned his Senate seat

Until January 19th Mr Obama is just Mr Obama. Not Senator Obama nor President Obama. He currently holds no Constitutional authority to influence any Executive or Legislative policy

So how does Mr Obama going on TV help?

I believe Obama has resigned his Senate seat

Until January 19th Mr Obama is just Mr Obama. Not Senator Obama nor President Obama. He currently holds no Constitutional authority to influence any Executive or Legislative policy

So how does Mr Obama going on TV help?

The same way he got elected ,, put on a rock concert and then speak to the huddled masses. :lol:

The same way he got elected ,, put on a rock concert and then speak to the huddled masses. :lol:

Maybe Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen want to play San Diego. I'd go see Barry speak if I could go to a free concert. :lol:

One of the main concerns against bailing anyone out is the moral hazard argument. Look what's happening now to see that in action. The big 3 are prime examples of this. They ran their companies into the ground and came to the taxpayer with thier hands out for $25 Billion which they took, making NO changes to help them survive the current situation, and now want $50 Billion more?!

IMO, they need to (should be allowed to) go bankrupt in order to forge a new agreement with the UAW. The present deal they have is untenable and a recipe for dumping my (and your) money into a bottomless pit. Make no mistake about it, this will be very painful for all involved, but the longer we put off taking our medicine the deeper the cancer metasticizes.

If you think giving Ford and the others more money will fix this look no farther than the Detriot Lions and their former GM Matt Millen as an example of how long it takes a Ford to make a change...

And FWIW, my father is a retired Ford worker.

Dont you folks remember anything? :lol:

That 700 B turned into over 800 B, because of earmarks. ( see: wooden arrows) I'm not defending Bush here but this whining is hypocritical in comparison to the other bailout, no? How the !@#$ is this any different?

Some of you people make me sick.

I think it's high time the automobile industry re-invent itself. Throwing money at them so they can continue business as usual is RETARDED at this point.

We need to change the way Americans think about how and why they buy cars, the whole system needs to be dismantled and started anew.

I truly believe we have the opportunity to make another carriages to cars transformation, and the collateral damage resulting from the collapse of the big three might cause enough anarchy to catalyze this kind of radical change.

But, I agree, if the big three start going belly-up, the vast number of people out of work would be devastating to an already devastated economy.

So, if the companies need to stay in business and keep people in jobs, and they need government money to do so, and America has more to gain than lose from handing over said money, I say we make them fight for it by establishing brand new business models that focus on both environmental and economic sustainability. If this means car companies suddenly have stake in developing a new infrastructure of mass PUBLIC transportation, so be it. If it means car companies developing new ways of buying and using automobiles, so be it.

Something big has got to change.

I think it's high time the automobile industry re-invent itself. Throwing money at them so they can continue business as usual is RETARDED at this point.

We need to change the way Americans think about how and why they buy cars, the whole system needs to be dismantled and started anew.

I truly believe we have the opportunity to make another carriages to cars transformation, and the collateral damage resulting from the collapse of the big three might cause enough anarchy to catalyze this kind of radical change.

But, I agree, if the big three start going belly-up, the vast number of people out of work would be devastating to an already devastated economy.

So, if the companies need to stay in business and keep people in jobs, and they need government money to do so, and America has more to gain than lose from handing over said money, I say we make them fight for it by establishing brand new business models that focus on both environmental and economic sustainability. If this means car companies suddenly have stake in developing a new infrastructure of mass PUBLIC transportation, so be it. If it means car companies developing new ways of buying and using automobiles, so be it.

Something big has got to change.

No doubt. And let's not forget that the Great Depression was not ended by the relatively small amount of money spent for the New Deal, but by the massive amounts spent on the war. It is better to go big now.

No doubt. And let's not forget that the Great Depression was not ended by the relatively small amount of money spent for the New Deal, but by the massive amounts spent on the war. It is better to go big now.

Haha, yeah, just what we need, another war! That'll help kick start things! :lol:

OMG, I hope Bush doesn't get any crazy ideas!

You might want to worry about your buddy Barry...Unless you think Biden was talking out his arse a few weeks ago. I've got a feeling there's going to big a big bang of some kind in our near future. Just my gut instinct telling me this.

You might want to worry about your buddy Barry...Unless you think Biden was talking out his arse a few weeks ago. I've got a feeling there's going to big a big bang of some kind in our near future. Just my gut instinct telling me this.

Do I have to worry specifically because OB is our president elect? Would John McCain been terrorism's kryptonite?

Obama is speaking to the nation now. Turn on 60 Minutes.

Looks like Obama has aged a little. Already going grey and a few new lines on his face

Both Bushes and Clinton both aged noticeably while in office. Wonder how BO will have aged after 4 years in office

Looks like Obama has aged a little. Already going grey and a few new lines on his face

Both Bushes and Clinton both aged noticeably while in office. Wonder how BO will have aged after 4 years in office

I think he just stopped dying it.

In four years he'll look like Fred Sanford. The stress of that job ages everyone of them. The healthcare that he'll get as President is second to none. I cant wait till I have mine, but I dont want to pay for it.