Shall I hold my breath waiting for the apologies?

SDS

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/arts/tel...amp;oref=slogin

It was among the juicier post-election recriminations: Fox News Channel quoted an unnamed McCain campaign figure as saying that Sarah Palin did not know that Africa was a continent.

Who would say such a thing? On Monday the answer popped up on a blog and popped out of the mouth of David Shuster, an MSNBC anchor. “Turns out it was Martin Eisenstadt, a McCain policy adviser, who has come forward today to identify himself as the source of the leaks,” Mr. Shuster said.

Trouble is, Martin Eisenstadt doesn’t exist. His blog does, but it’s a put-on. The think tank where he is a senior fellow — the Harding Institute for Freedom and Democracy — is just a Web site. The TV clips of him on YouTube are fakes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue is not at ALL that she didn't say those things, Scott. That is not being refuted whatsoever. The issue you're referring to is some joker CLAIMING he was the one who leaked the information. This guy is a filmmaker not an aide to McCain. The aide to McCain that said this is still out there, and still said those things to Fox and to Politico, amongst others. The apology, which actually was reported as a retraction on MSNBC at least twice, is only about being duped by who the source was.

There is no apology necessary to Palin, because that statement is still being 100% supported by the actual McCain aide who said it first.

Folks on another message board I read got this wrong too. The NY Times article isn't explicit enough for some people, but this AP article makes it clear:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...ax_N.htm?csp=34

The hoax was limited to the identity of the source in the story about Palin — not the Fox News story itself. While Palin has denied that she mistook Africa for a country, the veracity of that report was not put in question by the revelation that Eisenstadt is a phony.

Folks on another message board I read got this wrong too. The NY Times article isn't explicit enough for some people, but this AP article makes it clear:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...ax_N.htm?csp=34

"The fact that we can't identify the source of the story doesn't change the nature of the story itself." Also know as the "Verification? What's that?" philosophy of investigative reporting.

The issue is not at ALL that she didn't say those things, Scott. That is not being refuted whatsoever. The issue you're referring to is some joker CLAIMING he was the one who leaked the information. This guy is a filmmaker not an aide to McCain. The aide to McCain that said this is still out there, and still said those things to Fox and to Politico, amongst others. The apology, which actually was reported as a retraction on MSNBC at least twice, is only about being duped by who the source was.

There is no apology necessary to Palin, because that statement is still being 100% supported by the actual McCain aide who said it first.

B-) Gotcha. The article was a bit misleading in order to score style points.

Although, I don't know how you can say an anonymous person is "100% supported the actual McCain aide who said it first", when other named sources have refuted the claim.

"The fact that we can't identify the source of the story doesn't change the nature of the story itself." Also know as the "Verification? What's that?" philosophy of investigative reporting.

Are you suggesting that not knowing who said it also casts doubts on whether it was true in the first place?

Are you suggesting that not knowing who said it also casts doubts on whether it was true in the first place?

That reminds me...did everyone know that "The Big Cat" molests little girls? I heard that from an anonymous source...but I'm sure it's true, so I don't have to investigate it any further.

Now what was your question again?

B-) Gotcha. The article was a bit misleading in order to score style points.

Although, I don't know how you can say an anonymous person is "100% supported the actual McCain aide who said it first", when other named sources have refuted the claim.

I meant by the original aide or aides. Of course there are people that are going to support Palin and claim it isn't true. To my knowledge, however, there hasn't been anyone who claimed to know what she actually said, which led this aide to make this claim. They are always statements like "Of course she knows Africa is a continent".

That reminds me...did everyone know that "The Big Cat" molests little girls? I heard that from an anonymous source...but I'm sure it's true, so I don't have to investigate it any further.

Now what was your question again?

Funny, I just watched a PBS documentary on Lee Atwater...

I wasn't asking to be a smartass, I was looking for actual clarification. Like I said already, I was always a bit skeptical about the Africa thing.