M&T Bank Stadium really blows.....

I was at the game.

Now, to preface these comments, I will say this......they have the NICEST scoreboards in the NFL. Bar none. I did some work for TV, and have seen many, but these things are awesome.

That said, the tailgaters suck. The lots around the stadium don't fill until about 11:15 or so. They are all permit anyway. And if you find one for the common folk, the going rate anywhere near was $30. The tailgating was pretty lame, and the mood is tranquil. Not to say some didn't have nice spreads, but overall it's a D+.

Inside the stadium itself, it was painfully boring. Nothing cool at all inside the stadium to look at besides the scoreboards. Actually, it's cool that the seats are purple, but that's about it. The place obviously has no tradition or anything so it's pretty boring. All of the seats are divided into little sections of railed in seats, so it looks like the whole bottom level is divided into little boxes of about 1,000 fans each. Crappy. C-, mainly because of how nice the scoreboards are.

The fans themselves suck too. The place never really got juiced. It was a little juiced when Sanders ran back the TD, but overall, it sucked. No one really talked about playcalls, or the game at all. Also, didn't get hell at all, for wearing Bills gear. It was nice not to be hassled at all, but gee, cmon, yell something at me for christs sakes. D+

Overall, a VERY boring and lackluster NFL atmosphere, especially compared to a Buffalo, KC, Green Bay or Pittsburgh....all of which I've either been to or worked at.

Overall, I rate the NFL experience in Baltimore a C-

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game.

Now, to preface these comments, I will say this......they have the NICEST scoreboards in the NFL. Bar none. I did some work for TV, and have seen many, but these things are awesome.

That said, the tailgaters suck. The lots around the stadium don't fill until about 11:15 or so. They are all permit anyway. And if you find one for the common folk, the going rate anywhere near was $30. The tailgating was pretty lame, and the mood is tranquil. Not to say some didn't have nice spreads, but overall it's a D+.

$30.00 Hhhmmm!

You can find parking cheaper if you do not mind walking a little bit. Having been to PSINet/M&T Bank Stadium a few times, Ravens fans are reallly just Redskins fans who are on the waiting list for season tickets. They get there so late because traffic in MD is so bad, if you left your house at 9am, you get to the field at 11.

I've been to two Bills games at M&T (although it was named PSINet for the first one).

I had the good fortune of tailgating at a warehouse that held a Bills Tailgate, and at Sliders, which is a bar that RRich & Glenn worked out an arrangement to hold a Bills "Tailgate" before the preseason game last year, so I'm not terribly familiar with their tailgating.

But I agree as far as your assessment of the stadium and its fans. Cookie-cutter with zero character. Very similar to Charlotte's in that regard. I guess our perception of what gameday should be "all about" is skewed.

Ummmm, yeah, from what I saw they did look pretty good, however, they had friggin guys for christs sakes.  I can see having them in college, but christ they look gay in the pros!

Without the guys, you can't throw the girls up in the air. :angry:

CW

Without the guys, you can't throw the girls up in the air. :angry:

CW

86028[/snapback]

Guys Fez, guys! Come on man. NFL cheerleaders serve absolutely no purpose in the pros as it is. Not saying I don't look, esp when the atmosphere is pretty boring like it is in M&T. They aren't good at what they do. Why the hell would they have guys out there in the pros?

lmao, ummmmmmmmm, YUCK

Guys Fez, guys!  Come on man.  NFL cheerleaders serve absolutely no purpose in the pros as it is.  Not saying I don't look, esp when the atmosphere is pretty boring like it is in M&T.  They aren't good at what they do.  Why the hell would they have guys out there in the pros?

lmao, ummmmmmmmm, YUCK

86047[/snapback]

On a similar tangent, I found it amusing that the Buffalo Bandits (indoor lacrosse) have cheerleaders now. Their name? The Buffalo Bandettes. :angry:

CW

Ummmm, yeah, from what I saw they did look pretty good, however, they had friggin guys for christs sakes.  I can see having them in college, but christ they look gay in the pros!

85992[/snapback]

They've got a marching band too.

I was at the game.

$30.00 Hhhmmm!

85804[/snapback]

The Bills keep playing the way they do and two bucks will be the going rate and you will have to pay the people to park.

I was at the game.

Now, to preface these comments, I will say this......they have the NICEST scoreboards in the NFL.  Bar none.  I did some work for TV, and have seen many, but these things are awesome.

That said, the tailgaters suck.  The lots around the stadium don't fill until about 11:15 or so.  They are all permit anyway.  And if you find one for the common folk, the going rate anywhere near was $30.  The tailgating was pretty lame, and the mood is tranquil.  Not to say some didn't have nice spreads, but overall it's a D+.

Inside the stadium itself, it was painfully boring.  Nothing cool at all inside the stadium to look at besides the scoreboards.  Actually, it's cool that the seats are purple, but that's about it.  The place obviously has no tradition or anything so it's pretty boring.  All of the seats are divided into little sections of railed in seats, so it looks like the whole bottom level is divided into little boxes of about 1,000 fans each.  Crappy.  C-, mainly because of how nice the scoreboards are.

The fans themselves suck too.  The place never really got juiced.  It was a little juiced when Sanders ran back the TD, but overall, it sucked.  No one really talked about playcalls, or the game at all.  Also, didn't get hell at all, for wearing Bills gear.  It was nice not to be hassled at all, but gee, cmon, yell something at me for christs sakes.  D+

Overall, a VERY boring and lackluster NFL atmosphere, especially compared to a Buffalo, KC, Green Bay or Pittsburgh....all of which I've either been to or worked at. 

Overall, I rate the NFL experience in Baltimore a C-

85704[/snapback]

I disagee. The tailgating is urban...I'll give you that but Sundays game was my third at M&T/PSInet Stadium and it's an absolutely beautiful stadium to watch a game in. Not only do the scoreboards blow anything out of the water (Makes ralph look like a kiddie tv)....the sightlines are perfect and the field is gorgeous. Better looking than our fake grass. Have you ever been to the Redskins Fedex field down the road? holy cow, what a dump. Baltimore blows that away. It's a very modern, nice looking stadium imo. Also, i was invited into club level and it's like you died and went to heaven in there (wall to wall carpeting, bars everywhere, huge couches and recliners,,,,NFL ticket on plasma tv screens). Seriously, the atmosphere might be a little more corporate (even though I had drunk punks screaming at me for being a BIlls fan)...but the stadium has to be one of the nicest in the league.

But I agree as far as your assessment of the stadium and its fans. Cookie-cutter with zero character. Very similar to Charlotte's in that regard. I guess our perception of what gameday should be "all about" is skewed.

I couldn't disagree more. I thought the stadium was beautiful. Real classy with the brick and the columned scoreboards. The acoustics were great. I liked the "Protect This House" bit, and thought it would be great for us to come up with something like that.

The only real weakness was the fans, but c'mon they've only had a team for 6 years. That and they played "Shout" after scoring, an unmodified version. They need to come up with something original.

Overall - B+

Stadium - A-

Sightlines - A

Fan Enthusiasm - C+

Tailgating - B-

I couldn't disagree more.  I thought the stadium was beautiful.  Real classy with the brick and the columned scoreboards.  The acoustics were great.  I liked the "Protect This House" bit, and thought it would be great for us to come up with something like that. 

The only real weakness was the fans, but c'mon they've only had a team for 6 years.  That and they played "Shout" after scoring, an unmodified version.  They need to come up with something original.

Overall - B+

Stadium - A-

Sightlines - A

Fan Enthusiasm - C+

Tailgating - B-

86096[/snapback]

No way. The stadium is nice because it's brand new. And there are no more stadiums, especially new one's that have bad sight lines for the most part. So, all of that stuff should be a given. And it is in the cookie cutter mold. That was also disappointing.

I did say like 25 times that the scoreboards are unmatched. They even had marble Ravens heads around those columns also. And yeah, I did foget, the sound system was awesome. No doubt. But damn, it's new, it should be. And that is to be expected.

However, it was VERY VERY boring. Good sightlines are a given anywhere now. The crowd sucked on when they got into the game, and the endzones weren't even all that fired up. The fan enthusiasm blows. The tailgating is wretched.

The "we must protect this house thing" is OK, but it's borrowed from TV. It's just a commercial, complete with the under armor seal on the scoreboard. But even with that, every team in the NFL has something cool that they produce in house. So, to me, that stuff is expected. As with the original shout song.

No one really even talks about the game, and there are TONS of marginal fans who just go to Ravens games just to say they went. They are nothing more than boring-ass Redskins fans in the making.

Nothing grossly wrong with football in Baltimore, it's just not a great NFL experience by any means. I was totally disappointed.

From the places I've seen, I would rate them somewhere between like 22-26 in the NFL. And that disappointed me, because I thought they would be the blue collar fans who don't go to Redskins game.

Not at all.

I disagee.  The tailgating is urban...I'll give you that but Sundays game was my third at M&T/PSInet Stadium and it's an absolutely beautiful stadium to watch a game in.  Not only do the scoreboards blow anything out of the water (Makes ralph look like a kiddie tv)....the sightlines are perfect and the field is gorgeous.  Better looking than our fake grass.   Have you ever been to the Redskins Fedex field down the road? holy cow, what a dump.  Baltimore blows that away. It's a very modern, nice looking stadium imo.  Also, i was invited into club level and it's like you died and went to heaven in there (wall to wall carpeting, bars everywhere, huge couches and recliners,,,,NFL ticket on plasma tv screens).  Seriously, the atmosphere might be a little more corporate (even though I had drunk punks screaming at me for being a BIlls fan)...but the stadium has to be one of the nicest in the league.

86085[/snapback]

The new things it has are nice. They should be. But the place is borrrrrrrrrrrring. I've been in many club levels, and even the owners levels in Charlotte. They are amazing. However, they add nothing to the experience to most fans. So that's not even factored in.

As for the field, it did look clean and neat. However, there was nothing really on it, and it kind of fit in with the overall blah of the stadium.

The purple seats are kinda cool. Gives the place a hometown feel. Kinda like being at Heinz field in Pittsburgh. Except you could go blind in Heinz when the seats aren't filled.

No doubt Baltimore is nicer than FedEx. FedEx is a dump. But I wasn't impressed. The overall experience of a Ravens football game is borrrrrrrrrrrring, unless you are there to schmooze, which I'm not.

The fans suck- ;);) I was in row 9 and had to stand most of the game because rows 1-5 and the three guys in front of me never sat down. So after asking them to please sit and they refused what do you think I did. I stood up and yelled go Bills - Go DREW- come on ERIC- FOR THE WHOLE GAME good grief. I'm such a LOSER.