Steve Johnson

Is it just me or does Steve Johnson seem to do everything that is asked of him. He only has three receptions this year, but correct me if I'm wrong he's only been thrown at three times? In our last preseason game of the year against Detroit the kid had 8 receptions for 74 yds, albeit against second stringers but still. He runs crisp routes, and always comes back to the ball. I think we could potentially have a steal here, but because our coaching staff wants to see Hardy succeed (gotta love the politics of sports) so they rarely give Johnson the opportunity.

To tell you the truth I'd love to see him in the slot apposed to say Roscoe Parrish, I know we all wanna see Roscoe just light it up, but lets face it, he's like the Maxim Afinegenov of the Bills, we all see the potential but its just never gonna happen. Steve Johnson has good size at 6-2 and could be a bigger target for a QB (Trent Edwards) that just may need that.

Bottom line is I would love to see the coaching staff give Johnson more of a shot to show us what he can do, I mean he's gotta do better than say a Hardy who falls down while running half his routes! :lol:

You know, I was going to post something earlier today, in a similar vein, but then somebody started some crazy thread about the need to "cut a vetran".....

I am not sure about Steve Johnson, but I would like to see the Bills not be afraid to start some of their unknowns (like Johnson) in favor of some of their underachieving starters. When I was wathching the Eagles/Giants game, and again, tonight, watching the 49ers/Cardinals game (two franchises whose recent history has been as futile as the Bills) I can't help but be impressed by some of the good football players I see on other teams. Guys nobody has ever heard of. The 49ers are by most accounts one of the least talented teams in the leauge, but tonight they are hanging tough with one of the hotter teams in the leauge. I wouldn't have guessed I could see the 49ers play at such a high level, for such a moribund team. Yet, with a fiery new coach, they seem to have elevated their play. Guys are fighting for jobs, and playing hard. We just don't see that attitude in Buffalo, enough.

So, yes, by all means, give Steve Johnson a shot at playing more. Who knows, he could be the next Marques Colston. This notion that we should never expect anything from our rookies, or from our depth guys is pathetic. Especially, when you consider that about 15 of our starting 22 guys would have a hard time starting for about 20 teams in the leauge. We gotta get something out of these guys, they are our only hope.

can he run block?

Well idk about that but if you look at who was blocking on the 3rd and goal on the stretch outside (Hardy), he can't be much worse.

But in defense of Hardy, it was a terrible call to begin with, but nonetheless he didn't block one of the 5 guys that Lynched Lynch on that play...(he lost his helmet on the play so I added the ethnic slur :lol: )

Is it just me or does Steve Johnson seem to do everything that is asked of him. He only has three receptions this year, but correct me if I'm wrong he's only been thrown at three times? In our last preseason game of the year against Detroit the kid had 8 receptions for 74 yds, albeit against second stringers but still. He runs crisp routes, and always comes back to the ball. I think we could potentially have a steal here, but because our coaching staff wants to see Hardy succeed (gotta love the politics of sports) so they rarely give Johnson the opportunity.

To tell you the truth I'd love to see him in the slot apposed to say Roscoe Parrish, I know we all wanna see Roscoe just light it up, but lets face it, he's like the Maxim Afinegenov of the Bills, we all see the potential but its just never gonna happen. Steve Johnson has good size at 6-2 and could be a bigger target for a QB (Trent Edwards) that just may need that.

Bottom line is I would love to see the coaching staff give Johnson more of a shot to show us what he can do, I mean he's gotta do better than say a Hardy who falls down while running half his routes! :lol:

Have you seen any games this year? He had some great catches against NE. :nana:

When we look back in 3-4 years, i think we'll all be pleasantly surprised to find that Stevie turns out to be better than Hardy.

Hardy can have his place. Even if he turns out to be strictly a redzone area player. Considering we've struggled there forever. Steve Johnson in limited opportunities has looked good. Raw, but there's potential there. The hope I had for Sam Aiken to catch on a receiver, now resides with Johnson. I still can't believe sam aiken converted a key 3rd down attempt in the game the other day. :lol:

I like Johnson as well, but the simple fact is that though you seem pretty disappointed in Roscoe thus far Roscoe has shown not only greater potential as an NFL WR than Johnson has shown in his brief career, but in fact he has demonstrated productivity that my sense is that if Johnson produces as much as Roscoe has half way though his second season playing (getting hurt as a rookie is the big blemish on Parrish as a player thus far), Mr. Johnson will be a happy man.

Is Parrish a top WR in the NFL? Nope. Is he even a solid #2? No to that as well. However, it is simply unrealistic and non football wishing that visualized his contribution to this team being measured by achieving these two standards. The simple fact is at 171 pounds, it was pretty clear from the start that he was going to make a name for himself as a #3 who could use his blazing speed to make our 3 WR sets more formidable and he would need to be a true contributor on ST as a return guy.

It would be easy though football foolish to compare him to Randy Moss and declare him a bust. The simple question is which #3 WRs and PR guys would you prefer we had instead of Parrish. The simple fact is that he is not in the lower third of #3/PR guys who are busts who deserve to be cut and actually he is well into the top half of these players in the NFL.

In fact, looking at this subjectively the major problem I had with his pick (particularly after he went down to injury early in his career) were of durability and toughness, and Parrish has impressed me with the fact he is not afraid to patrol the middle like a slot receiver should. Perhaps the only complaint folks might make is that he was the first pick for the Bill in a draft they traded their #1 away, but even this view is from those who over-estimate the value of the draft (it is a good tool as good players have to come from somewhere and good players get drafted). However, between fantasy football and ESPN hype folks put to much stock in the draft. There is an assumption that every first rounder should be a first year starter when actually it is about 50/50 whether this is going to be true.

The poster seems to have good fan expectations of both Parrish and Johnson but they certainly are not expectations consistent with reality.

I said this before, I think the Bills looked away from Evans on purpose. They know he would face a lot of double team defenses all night and needed a surprise option. That was Johnson. The sad thing was the Bills never got out of that plan and Evans was not looked at all night.

I think he was great at camp. Of course, like all our All Fisher standouts - the coaches took a long time to come around (Greer, Jackson, etc.)

I also think the Lynch off season incident had something to do with it. He was supposedly the other guy in the SUV and was the one that squawked forcing Lynch to own up. So I think there was some sour grapes from the rest of the team and the coaches.

Regardless, the draft scouting sites liked this pick a lot. Here's why.

C

Yes it would have. Still a rookie WR (taken in the 7th round) getting 3 receptions for 41 yards when the QB was absolutely terrified to throw down-field is nothing to sneeze at.

I completely agree. Johnson's performance was very encouraging, even with the drop. I can't agree with writing off a drive-killing drop as a "no-gainer" however.

I completely agree. Johnson's performance was very encouraging, even with the drop. I can't agree with writing off a drive-killing drop as a "no-gainer" however.

I recall 1 catch...over the middle, pretty much uncontested. Were the other two the same, or in traffic, fighting a defender?

Did Johnson have that great of a game yesterday that there's talk of him being a steal in the draft? If so, I didn't see it. He only had a couple of catches and one drop that was right in the numbers. I wouldn't call that a spectacular game that he should be anointed a steal yet.

I recall 1 catch...over the middle, pretty much uncontested. Were the other two the same, or in traffic, fighting a defender?

I can't really remember the ones that he caught as well as the drop. The drop stuck in my mind as nothing up to that point was working and, for once, Trent throws a perfect pass for a 1st down and it's dropped.