A big deal about missing explosives

First of all the story was reported in the NYT. They have been running the anti GWB, and iraq war stories as a series for some time now. This one about the missing 380 tons on the surface seems like a huge deal, but lets look a little closer.

1) This material may have been missing since just before the war, or as the move on bagdad was taking place.

2) To date over 450 thousand tons of explosives and weapons have been destroyed. This dwarfs the 380 tons that are being discussed in the NYT. Wouldn't it have been nice to see the NYT at least mention this tiny little fact. Kind of like fair and balanced if you know what I mean.

3) the fact tat the NYT waited until right now is telling in and of itself. Of course no main stream media source will even remotely call them on it. Just imagine if FOX News made some similar report on kerry, they would be buchered.

So, having siad this, who thinks that the lemmings on the left will see this as anything other then a red meat main course with no nutritional value?

Also, who thinks that any of the undecided will see this as a big deal?

So what's your sage advice: "Don't worry, be happy?"

BTW, just for the one or eighty-seven people who are skeptical of everything you say because of your proven track record, how about, just every once in a while, citing a source?

85537[/snapback]

common knowledge pal, just read the news or if that is too much of a task just watch the mindless boob tube.

Look, I am not in any way saying don't worry be happy. Juts as I said in my post, I am putting it into perspective. Unlike the freaked out NYT who act as if this is the mother load of all weapons. Come on, can't you just make a comment on the content....you are pushing into mickey territory by changing the focus all the time.

Hmm, like I said what is the big deal here. NBC News has just reported that the huge cache of explosives that are in question actually vanished 18 months ago, before the US troops even got there.

Wonder how much backpedeling kerry and crew will be doing tommorrow.

No doubt another staffer will be sacrificed. Oh well, only a week left in their job anyway so being the sacrificial lamb won't be all that bad :angry:

common knowledge pal, just read the news or if that is too much of a task just watch the mindless boob tube.

Look, I am not in any way saying don't worry be happy. Juts as I said in my post, I am putting it into perspective. Unlike the freaked out NYT who act as if this is the mother load of all weapons. Come on, can't you just make a comment on the content....you are pushing into mickey territory by changing the focus all the time.

85618[/snapback]

I just can't find the 450 thousand tons of explosives destroyed in Iraq cite, "pal." If it's "common knowledge," as you say, then it should be easy to find. And since the purpose of your post, by your own admission, is to put the NYT Times story into perspective, and the basis for that perspective is that 450,000 tons of explosives were destroyed in Iraq, I was wondering what your source was on that number. That's in the ballpark of 22,000 truckloads of explosives destroyed in Iraq- a pretty staggering number.

If you had more credibility generally, I wouldn't have to question your sources. But since you so often run when confronted with the actual facts, I pretty much question everything you say.

I just can't find the 450 thousand tons of explosives destroyed in Iraq cite, "pal." If it's "common knowledge," as you say, then it should be easy to find. And since the purpose of your post, by your own admission, is to put the NYT Times story into perspective, and the basis for that perspective is that 450,000 tons of explosives were destroyed in Iraq, I was wondering what your source was on that number. That's in the ballpark of 22,000 truckloads of explosives destroyed in Iraq- a pretty staggering number.

If you had more credibility generally, I wouldn't have to question your sources. But since you so often run when confronted with the actual facts, I pretty much question everything you say.

85631[/snapback]

hey just because you don't like th fact that i am right does not mean that I am wrong.

I will link the info to you because it seems as if you are unwilling to face the truth, or put even a little effort forward to seek out the facts. perhaps if you watched something more then cbs evening news with dan blather....you could have more intellegent conversations here.

Also, just to add insult to injury....NBC news just broke a stroy that those explosives were missing 18 months ago, before the troops even got there. Awww, sorry pal, johnnies little hate speech today was all for not.....looks like NBC has busted both his, and the NYT's balls. Damn, the truth is such a tricky thing for those two to come across.......just like danny boy.

85631[/snapback]

Here is a reference for you pal......next time just take the time to do some reserch...all the information is there, you just have to turn the channel from cbs every now and then.

cnn article just for you

The articles I've read and heard also stated that some of the missing explosives may have already been used in some of those wonderful bombs that have killed US soldiers.

But remember folks, it's "no big deal".

The material is also fairly easy to hide and transport and it's not sensitive. So it could be anywhere. And used for any purpose.

"No big deal."

Here's hoping these materials aren't used one day to blow up RIO or any of his friends or family, but if it does I guess we'll all just have to say "no big deal".

Per Drudge:

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX MON OCT 25 2004 22:45:05 ET XXXXX

NBCNEWS: HUGE CACHE OF EXPLOSIVES VANISHED FROM SITE IN IRAQ -- AT LEAST 18 MONTHS AGO -- BEFORE TROOPS ARRIVED

The NYTIMES urgently reported on Monday how the Iraqi interim government has warned the United States and international nuclear inspectors that nearly 380 tons of powerful conventional explosives are now missing from one of Iraq's most sensitive former military installations.

Jumping on the TIMES exclusive, Dem presidential candidate John Kerry blasted the Bush administration for its failure to "guard those stockpiles."

"This is one of the great blunders of Iraq, one of the great blunders of this administration," Kerry said.

In an election week rush:

**ABCNEWS Mentioned The Iraq Explosives Depot At Least 4 Times

**CBSNEWS Mentioned The Iraq Explosives Depot At Least 7 Times

**MSNBC Mentioned The Iraq Explosives Depot At Least 37 Times

**CNN Mentioned The Iraq Explosives Depot At Least 50 Times

But tonight, NBCNEWS reported, once: The 380 tons of powerful conventional explosives were already missing back in April 10, 2003 -- when U.S. troops arrived at the installation south of Baghdad!

An NBCNEWS crew embedded with troops moved in to secure the Al-Qaqaa weapons facility on April 10, 2003, one day after the liberation of Iraq.

According to NBCNEWS, the HMX and RDX explosives were already missing when the American troops arrived.

It is not clear why the NYTIMES failed to report the cache had been missing for 18 months -- and was reportedly missing before troops even arrived.

"The U.S. Army was at the sight one day after the liberation and the weapons were already gone," a top Republican blasted from Washington late Monday.

The International Atomic Energy Agency inspectors last saw the explosives in January 2003 when they took an inventory and placed fresh seals on the bunkers.

Dem vp hopeful John Edwards blasted Bush for not securing the explosives: "It is reckless and irresponsible to fail to protect and safeguard one of the largest weapons sites in the country. And by either ignoring these mistakes or being clueless about them, George Bush has failed. He has failed as our commander in chief; he has failed as president."

A top Bush official e-mailed DRUDGE late Monday: "Let me get this straight, are Mr. Kerry and Mr. Edwards now saying we did not go into Iraq soon enough? We should have invaded and liberated Iraq sooner?"

Developing...

StoryGood old Drudge.

If you read this story or any other from a real press source, you will see that the material was guarded UNTIL we invaded. And then, yup, those guarding bailed the hell out, which is was Rummy and the gang advised people to do.

The US apparently had to plan to secure the site.

Nice try though.

To this day apparently it is STILL not guarded and reports are that it's still being looted, although I can't imagine what it still left there.

Really, really nice try.

Okay, believe what you want to believe. I saw this being reported on both foxnews and msnbc already. It will break hard tomorrow i am sure. NBC was evidently THERE when troops arrived and these weapons were already gone. We'll jsut let this play out since neither of us really has enough info to have a logical debate on this topic. But it does look like kerry jumped the gun to make this a high profile issue today.

StoryGood old Drudge.

If you read this story or any other from a real press source, you will see that the material was guarded UNTIL we invaded.  And then, yup, those guarding bailed the hell out, which is was Rummy and the gang advised people to do.

Nice try though.

To this day apparently it is STILL not guarded and reports are that it's still being looted, although I can't imagine what it still left there.

Really, really nice try.

85671[/snapback]

interesting to be so sure.......

from CNN no less

NBC Story

interesting to be so sure.......

from CNN no less

NBC Story

85794[/snapback]

Something doesn't sound right here. If we knew the stuff was gone in April of 2003, the day after the liberation, why was the IAEA and Condi Rice not told until October 10, 2004, for that matter, why would Rice have to be told at all? Wouldn't she know the stuff was gone when, as the story reports, the 101st Airborne was there in April 2003 and saw that the stuff was gone? All the articles mention that Rice was told the stuff was gone on October 10, 2004 and that she then informed the President. That sounds like it was all new information to them. Why would it be new if our own guys went to the storage facility a year and a half ago and it was not there?

This sounds like one of those stories that is going to take some time before the fact and the fiction can be sorted out.

Something doesn't sound right here.  If we knew the stuff was gone in April of 2003, the day after the liberation, why was the IAEA and Condi Rice not told until October 10, 2004, for that matter, why would Rice have to be told at all?  Wouldn't she know the stuff was gone when, as the story reports, the 101st Airborne was there in April 2003 and saw that the stuff was gone?  All the articles mention that Rice was told the stuff was gone on October 10, 2004 and that she then informed the President.  That sounds like it was all new information to them.  Why would it be new if our own guys went to the storage facility a year and a half ago and it was not there? 

This sounds like one of those stories that is going to take some time before the fact and the fiction can be sorted out.

85824[/snapback]

The apparent reason is that when they went through Al Qaqaa in late March or early April(2-3)--the facility is about 35 miles south of Bagdad--they were in a hurry, and finding no WMD, kept on moving to Bagdad. With a relatively small force, there was not enough manpower to secure the facility. When they returned 10 days later, most everything had been looted.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

It's an operational blunder, and sometimes those things can happen when you have so many other objectives to have to concern yourself with.

This newest story is not Bush's fault, HOWEVER, the aftermath of a war based on phony information IS. This just underscores how the terrorists now have even more than they did before. We probably have just given them more than Saddam EVER did in 12 years, both psychologically and with regard to weaponry. That is the true blunder when you consider the complete picture.

Here is a reference for you pal......next time just take the time to do some reserch...all the information is there, you just have to turn the channel from cbs every now and then.

cnn article just for you

85641[/snapback]

Still looking for 450,000 tons of explosives destroyed. Still, 240,000 tons of munitions destroyed at least makes your point.

As to the missing explosives, it's an absurd story. It's a concern, but probably the least of our worries.

The missing explosives should be a big deal.

Only 1 pound of similar high power explosives was used by Libyan terrorists to bring down a PanAm flight over Scotland. We should all be very concerned, since terrorists got 15,000+ truckloads of this for free.

I am sure this stuff is being moved all over the world. Only a small quantitiy is need to do a great deal of harm.

The missing explosives should be a big deal.

Only 1 pound of similar high power explosives was used by Libyan terrorists to bring down a PanAm flight over Scotland.  We should all be very concerned, since terrorists got 15,000+ truckloads of this for free.

I am sure this stuff is being moved all over the world.  Only a small quantitiy is need to do a great deal of harm.

85993[/snapback]

It doesn't take much more than a couple of cans of hairspray to take down an airplane.

This is just the latest episode of media sensationalism from the people who gave you Jessica Lynch. I expect them to come back in a month and say "whoops, we've had control of it the whole time. It was in Private Snuffy's 5 ton. We just forgot where it was parked." Or something similiar.

Welcome to our government. Still introducing the left hand to the right hand on a daily basis. Add in our very competent media and this is what you get...

The articles I've read and heard also stated that some of the missing explosives may have already been used in some of those wonderful bombs that have killed US soldiers.

But remember folks, it's "no big deal".

The material is also fairly easy to hide and transport and it's not sensitive.  So it could be anywhere.  And used for any purpose.

"No big deal."

Here's hoping these materials aren't used one day to blow up RIO or any of his friends or family, but if it does I guess we'll all just have to say "no big deal".

85657[/snapback]

yea sweetie you may have heard that but it does not make it so, you have to consider the source. The NYT has ZERO credibility and has become nothing less then a political rag for the left to spew its hate.

I am no huge fan of NBC but at least they had the kahoonies to comeout and say that their embedded reporters arrived at that site the day after bagdad fell, and there were no weapons present.

StoryGood old Drudge.

If you read this story or any other from a real press source, you will see that the material was guarded UNTIL we invaded.  And then, yup, those guarding bailed the hell out, which is was Rummy and the gang advised people to do.

Nice try though.

Really, really nice try.

85671[/snapback]

Are you calling NBC liars as well. They have had the most slanted view of GWB when compared to the other two network media sources. They simply are telling the truth this time, and you try to make drudge out to be some liar.

Hmm, you are stuck with this one dear........and so is kerry, but after all that is what you get for running yur campiagn on the daily news cycle.