Coaches-Players-Scheme?

thewildrabbit

First series against the Pats,

1st dwn- Marshawn left side for 7 yards... (I'm thinking whoa nice run,If only they can do that all game)

2nd down,shotgun #51 blitzes untouched and Edwards has to hurry the throw...incomplete pass

3rd down,shotgun again, 6 pats rushing the passer,6 Bills lineman blocking,back stays in to protect and...#93 of pats blows right by #66 and SACKS Edwards!

First question is...why go to the shotgun on 2nd and 3,3rd and 3?

Second question is...is it the O-line? screwing up by getting beat straight up,by not picking up blitzes

My thoughts are ...At least make the opponent wonder if its a pass or run.To me this is entirely on the shoulders of Turk Schonert.

Isn't the shotgun used more as an absolute pass play? Where its 3rd and long and everyone knows ya gotta throw? Why then use it on 2nd and 3,seems really stupid.

Schonert is the OC and calling the offensive plays and is trying his best to get Trent Edwards killed!!! The Bills finally have a really decent QB and he is getting his rear end handed to him game after game because the OC is calling some really stupid plays and at the wrong time.His calling worked against the lame teams,but now against decent opponents it is showing what a bad job he is doing.

Dick Jauron needs to step in and let his OC know that he wants to go the conservative route and RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!

The best offensive lineman the bills have are on left side #66 and #71,make them earn their pay and run the ball on that side till they drop!

It is all about confidence and the Bills don't have much right now its because the OC is trying to confuse the opponent and all he is doing is screwing the offense up.

This team needs to know that they can do the most simplest thing in football and that is run the ball! What the OC is doing is trying to setup the run with the pass. That might work for a young QB and an experienced veteran line like the Patriots have,but its not working with the bills because the line lacks continuity. A rookie O-line coach may be somewhat at fault but injuries also have had some effect.

The Bills need to focus on the running game from the start. Line up and just pound the ball...right side,left side,toss sweeps. Let the players gain some confidence,all the players. I saw Lee Evens get an end around in one game and then haven't seen it since.

An effective running game helps Edwards immensely,it helps the defense by staying fresh on the side lines.It helps control the clock and keeps the ball away from the other team.

Bottom line, this Bills team will struggle against every opponent until they either get lucky or mount an effective running game. They won't beat Cleveland or KC or any team again this year until they learn to run the ball.The final blame has to go to the head coach. If he fails to wake this team up he doesn't deserve to keep his job!!

P.S. I really like Dick Jauron too.In the past he has been known for a strong defense and power running game. He is letting his coaches do their own thing and it will cost him his job. :wallbash:

Wouldn't it be great if we could sit down with Belichick and pick his brain as to what is wrong with the bills. He could tell us straight up who are the weak links, playcalling flaws, tendencies and other tidbits. Love to know what he really thinks about the bills...Bet you would get a very good assessment...

We had some stretches where we ran the ball well on first down, Edwards was sacked twice, once on a second and five and once on 2 and 3. He threw his 4th Q int after Lynch had gained 20 yards on 3 consecutive carries. Drives killed by sacks, ints and third and 1 swing passes.

I looked at NE's last 4 games and they gave up yards per pass to Indy was 8.8, Rams 7.1 and SD was 11.3 per pass play. Yesterday we were 4.3 yards per pass play. Basically, dink and dunks; checkdowns. 3 plays over 10 yards, one was a run after catch by Roscoe and one was the TD to Hardy with the game all but over. Bad blocking, no seperation, bad throws, bad play calling and bad preparation for what NE would try to take away all contribute to this loss.

Isn't the shotgun used more as an absolute pass play?

Yeah, usually - unless you're the Florida Gators or running the "Wildcat."

Going shotgun and throwing a lot is only a problem when you are devoid of weapons. You need two good WRs, a pass-catching TE, and a pass-catching RB. The Bills are lacking a couple of those to be passing so much.

Wouldn't it be great if we could sit down with Belichick and pick his brain as to what is wrong with the bills. He could tell us straight up who are the weak links, playcalling flaws, tendencies and other tidbits. Love to know what he really thinks about the bills...Bet you would get a very good assessment...

I think the poster above you just did that. Really not much more to say about their play of late.

Problem #1- Offensive line. Our center play is pathetic. Dusty Zeigler looks like the 2nd coming of Kent Hull compared to Fowler and Preston. The rest of the line is a bunch of Joe Plumbers.

Problem #2- Defensive Scheme. The Cover 2 sucks. I'll take a 3-4 defense with a monster DT and 4 LB's that can stop the run, drop back into coverage or blitz the qb over having 4 defensive lineman that one dimensionally "fill gaps."

Problem #3- Take your pick: No TE, no #2 WR, no depth on the DL, non-emotional soft coach

Other than that were a pretty good team. :wallbash:

Going shotgun and throwing a lot is only a problem when you are devoid of weapons. You need two good WRs, a pass-catching TE, and a pass-catching RB. The Bills are lacking a couple of those to be passing so much.

Thurman Thomas had many great runs out of the shotgun.

The Bills used the shotgun formation so many times in short yardage situations it just makes no sense to me. Then when the Bills are finally in the red zone and on 2nd and goal from the 4 yd line they run up the middle...3rd and goal from the 4yd line,another run from a 2 wide receiver set with a closed formation.

Sorry,but these play calls are making me crazy! Wouldn't you rather be in the shotgun in 3rd and 4 to go,rather then be in a goal line bunched type offense which is meant for one or two yards and not FOUR yards?

Second half was the same thing, 3rd down and one the Bills are in the shotgun again...which they didn't make a first down....again.

On first down the Bills are in the shotgun ...incomplete pass. second down I formation and they try to run on 2nd and ten.

Now I can understand using the shotgun on 2nd and 10 but starting a series using the shotgun on first down and then going to an I formation and run on second down and 10 just appears irrational to me.

Some of the play calling and formations are making me :lol:

He would say we are outmanned, underprepared and our gameplans suck. He might also say he enjoys playing us because he can take the week off prior to the game. :devil:

Problem #2- Defensive Scheme. The Cover 2 sucks. I'll take a 3-4 defense with a monster DT and 4 LB's that can stop the run, drop back into coverage or blitz the qb over having 4 defensive lineman that one dimensionally "fill gaps."

The basic "fill gaps" approach has helped to improve our run defense some, but at the cost of a pass rush. And as adequate as our run defense has been overall, what's up with the 10 minute drives in the 4th quarter the last couple weeks??? When he was here, I found Dick LeBeau's 3-4 schemes overall more effective and much more interesting to watch too.

We can only hope NE and him have a fall out and we sign him. Agree 100000000 %

We can only hope NE and him have a fall out and we sign him. Agree 100000000 %

Robert Kraft would need to go certifiably insane to let Bill Bilichick go....never gonna happen!

On the other hand its just too bad that Ralph Wilson won't cough up the cash to sign Bill Cower!!!

Can you imagine Bill Cower running this team, he would break his foot off in some lineman butt and they would open holes you could drive a car through :devil:

Last year the Team had so many Injuries and yet they played very well considering Trent and Marshawn were rookie's. That team was noted for over achieving. They played hard every game and you would figure that with the upgrades to the team that they would be even better this year....

Is it the two rookies this year in new OC Turk schonert and OL coach Sean Kuglar why now...

They suck.