3-4 Defense is killing the Bills..the Browns are

Special K

What an unsusal run of having to play 5 games in a row vs. one particular defensive scheme. What is particularily unfortunate is that the Bills offense seems ineffective vs. this scheme. The more they struggle against it, the more film future opponents have to review to see what works or doesn't work, and what wrinkles to add to confuse the Bills offense further. One could argue that the Bills have more film on that defense, and should be able to dissect that film and come up with ways to be successful vs. the 3-4. However, in the last 3 games, things have only gotten worse.

My question is: Do these struggles point to bad coaching or not?

Keep in mind that the coaches get the schedule far in advance, and know what types of defenses they will be facing--not to mention the fact that all three AFC East opponents run this scheme. I would think an offense geared to put pressure on a 3-4 defense would be a number 1 priority from training camp when looking at the Bills schedule. Obviously its not as easy as it sounds, but I would think that more strides vs. this defensive scheme would have been made by this point. Don't you agree?

What an unsusal run of having to play 5 games in a row vs. one particular defensive scheme. What is particularily unfortunate is that the Bills offense seems ineffective vs. this scheme. The more they struggle against it, the more film future opponents have to review to see what works or doesn't work, and what wrinkles to add to confuse the Bills offense further. One could argue that the Bills have more film on that defense, and should be able to dissect that film and come up with ways to be successful vs. the 3-4. However, in the last 3 games, things have only gotten worse.

My question is: Do these struggles point to bad coaching or not?

Keep in mind that the coaches get the schedule far in advance, and know what types of defenses they will be facing--not to mention the fact that all three AFC East opponents run this scheme. I would think an offense geared to put pressure on a 3-4 defense would be a number 1 priority from training camp when looking at the Bills schedule. Obviously its not as easy as it sounds, but I would think that more strides vs. this defensive scheme would have been made by this point. Don't you agree?

Offense inability to accrue long drives with plenty of run, run and run somemore plays kills a 3-4. There are so few guys that one team can have that can play the nose that they wear down. Generally the team keeps fewer linemen and more backers, so there are fewer fresh players for the platoon system. Giants v Bills superbowl... :lol: Apparently the size of the Bills O-line would be an advantage, unfrotunately size does not equate to strength with these 5.

Although I was thinking the same thing, in the end it doesn't really matter. All a team has to do is something slightly different than usual, and it will completely befuddle our offense. Then Dick and everyone else can sing the mantra: "They did some things we weren't expecting."

Honestly, if this team doesn't see exactly what they are expecting, it's like they crap their pants or something.

Although I was thinking the same thing, in the end it doesn't really matter. All a team has to do is something slightly different than usual, and it will completely befuddle our offense. Then Dick and everyone else can sing the mantra: "They did some things we weren't expecting."

Honestly, if this team doesn't see exactly what they are expecting, it's like they crap their pants or something.

I noticed that,too. Every press conference they're like, "Well, what do you expect? They gave us looks we WEREN"T EXPECTING."

Jeez, the nerve of some teams.

3-4 for the 5th game in a row? and they saw the 3-4 last year from the jets and pats twice a piece, along with the steelers, cowboys, browns, ravens (kinda). So don't you think after so many times seeing it the coaching staff would pick something up on it?

This has been mostly the offense's inability to execute anything, and have absolutely no balls, which points directly to our poor coaching staff.

In order to run effectively against a 3-4 you have to control the NT. The fact that Center and both Guards are absolutely the weakest area of the team makes that impossible and is the primary reason they cannot run the ball. With the defense able to control the middle with essentially one player, they can commit the LBs to cover the run off-tackle.

Also the outside LBs can help cover the quick slants, making TE hold the ball longer to look for somebody.