There must be an organizational culture that is not used to succeeding

As a loyal bills fan, I am completely baffled by the lack of fortitude on the part of our organization. I can't imagine how an organization from top to bottom can continue to be mired in mediocrity. I look at people who have come to our organization with excellent credentials, and for some bizarre reason, they forget about what success they have and succumb to the inferiority complex that is the buffalo bills. Look at people like Kevin Gilbride, Dan Henning, Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey...and lets not forget all the players who have come here and under-performed.

Remember when Gilbride was here, he couldn't run an offense, same with Dan Henning. Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey were over their head as head coaches but are excellent coordinators. Gilbride leaves, wins a Superbowl and if anyone is watching the Giants last year and this year would agree, he calls an excellent offense. Why is it that people that come here, fail.

I think there is something in our organization that is making it hard for people to reach their potential as players, coaches, or whatever. I wish I knew what it was. Is it our players? we've had the same group of people in personnel for years and we are still a long way away from being a complete team. Maybe we have too many people in the organization that are so used to losing, they don't know what it takes to truly win and be successful.

How is it that other franchises, build and re-build faster than us? Unbelievable what is going on here..sad..truthfully...

As a loyal bills fan, I am completely baffled by the lack of fortitude on the part of our organization. I can't imagine how an organization from top to bottom can continue to be mired in mediocrity. I look at people who have come to our organization with excellent credentials, and for some bizarre reason, they forget about what success they have and succumb to the inferiority complex that is the buffalo bills. Look at people like Kevin Gilbride, Dan Henning, Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey...and lets not forget all the players who have come here and under-performed.

Remember when Gilbride was here, he couldn't run an offense, same with Dan Henning. Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey were over their head as head coaches but are excellent coordinators. Gilbride leaves, wins a Superbowl and if anyone is watching the Giants last year and this year would agree, he calls an excellent offense. Why is it that people that come here, fail.

I think there is something in our organization that is making it hard for people to reach their potential as players, coaches, or whatever. I wish I knew what it was. Is it our players? we've had the same group of people in personnel for years and we are still a long way away from being a complete team. Maybe we have too many people in the organization that are so used to losing, they don't know what it takes to truly win and be successful.

How is it that other franchises, build and re-build faster than us? Unbelievable what is going on here..sad..truthfully...

Agreed...

There's something to it...I'm not sure what it is either...But I do think that it all starts with the HC...The HC's We have had since Marv have not exactly been...well...good...Wade was the best of them but those Teams had a ton of talent...especially on Defense...The rest well...Good Coordinators maybe?...Maybe not...

We have yet to bring in a REAL top notch Football mind who can also inspire a Team to greater heights...I'll say it till I'm blue in the face...Talent is no longer the main problem on this Team...It's The Coaching and the Leadership...Miami has the same Record as the Bills now with half the talent...And they have 2 Divisional wins...Jauron is a loser...His Record is what it is...I don't think He accepts losing, I just don't think He is capable of conveying His distain to the Players on this team in order to get the best possible performance out of them...He keeps telling them, and anyone who will listen, what a great bunch of Guys they are and what hard workers they are...I think this breeds an accepting attitude amongst the Players that they are doing the right things but darn it all bad things just seem to happen to them all the time...It's just another way of accept mediocrity...Hard working mediocrity...

I'm just guessing...But I think that's the problem...You can see it on the faces of The players...They don't know what the F is happening to them...I think in turn they start doubting what they are doing then it all goes to crap fast...Jauron just feeds that garbage with His personality...He can't help it...He can't change it...It is what it is and what it's going to be always with a Dick Jauron Coached Team...The ultimate tease...Hard working losers... :lol:

Poor ownership.... I mean Ralph forced out arguably the best GM in the game in Bill Pollian and look where your team has gone since then?

In his closing press conference, Bill Polian said of the team that he built, "They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

Lol a statement truer than anyone knew at the time

Agreed...

There's something to it...I'm not sure what it is either...But I do think that it all starts with the HC...The HC's We have had since Marv have not exactly been...well...good...Wade was the best of them but those Teams had a ton of talent...especially on Defense...The rest well...Good Coordinators maybe?...Maybe not...

We have yet to bring in a REAL top notch Football mind who can also inspire a Team to greater heights...I'll say it till I'm blue in the face...Talent is no longer the main problem on this Team...It's The Coaching and the Leadership...Miami has the same Record as the Bills now with half the talent...And they have 2 Divisional wins...Jauron is a loser...His Record is what it is...I don't think He accepts losing, I just don't think He is capable of conveying His distain to the Players on this team in order to get the best possible performance out of them...He keeps telling them, and anyone who will listen, what a great bunch of Guys they are and what hard workers they are...I think this breeds an accepting attitude amongst the Players that they are doing the right things but darn it all bad things just seem to happen to them all the time...It's just another way of accept mediocrity...Hard working mediocrity...

I'm just guessing...But I think that's the problem...You can see it on the faces of The players...They don't know what the F is happening to them...I think in turn they start doubting what they are doing then it all goes to crap fast...Jauron just feeds that garbage with His personality...He can't help it...He can't change it...It is what it is and what it's going to be always with a Dick Jauron Coached Team...The ultimate tease...Hard working losers... :wallbash:

Wow, good post. Makes you think. I agree that there is a powerful psychological or momentum thing at play. You see it in all sports, tennis, golf, hockey. An edge a team/player has when they are playing well and expect too. Your leaders are the guys who inspire that mindset by their play if they are players or words if they are coaches. I saw nobody on Sunday's team, from the coaches to the players inspiring the team. Everybody seems to adopt the low key, zero emotion attitude of the coach. The closest thing that came to changing the momentum was the kick off return at the end of the game. We followed that up with a touchdown pass but too little too late. Its just sad that the rookie already labled a bust by some, had to be the player to break the fung with his play. I like Jauron's demeanor most of the time. You want the coach to be a calming influence. But right now it seems to be a lulling influence that gives the players an excuse to accept mediocrity. Wouldn't it shake things up to see Jauron step out of character and light a fire under the Oline's @ss for example. On the personnell side, it seems we confuse high character with vanilla personalities. Thurman Thomas, Darryl Talley, Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, they had personality. They could be grating. They would call somebody out. They were vocal leaders as well as impact players. We need that fire on our team.

Poor ownership.... I mean Ralph forced out arguably the best GM in the game in Bill Pollian and look where your team has gone since then?

In his closing press conference, Bill Polian said of the team that he built, "They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

You could argue the end of the Bills great teams of the late 80s and early 90s ended when Bill Polian left. Sure, Buffalo was good into 1999, making the playoffs in 93, 95, 96, 98, and 99. But those teams relied heavily onto the guys picked up during Polian's tenure. John Butler maintained the ship, but didn't add much and by 2000 and they went into cap jail for hanging onto Bruce, Andre, and a few others.

It's obvious that since 2001, this team has struggled mightily to find real front office types. Ralph is the common denominator in all of this, and when people mention him for the HOF, I only laugh. He is the first one we should blame for an inept franchise that by the end of this season will be grouped with the Lions in not making the playoffs.

The Bills must hire a real GM, who has a good track record in personnel. Atlanta hired Tom Dimitrioff away from NE, and they've got a blueprint that's looking very good through 9 weeks. Buffalo promotes business directors and guys that have been around during all the years they haven't made the playoffs. That's the difference between Buffalo and successful franchises.

How about Tom Clements with GB now?

The Bills do not know how to evaluate free agents or college players for that matter.

And the people in charge of making these disasterous signings are still employed by the Bills.

It's that simple.

I think this has some merit with respect to free agents (we have been more successful via the draft). Our free agency evaluators John Guy and Tom Modrak have been around since TD brought them here in 2001. Very few of their guys have really worked out.

Sure, you can say TKO worked out until his injury, but that was a no brainer. I had barely heard of Dockery when we signed him (after not going after Hutch and Steinbach) and paid him top money. I was hoping that Dockery would be ready for multiple Pro Bowls...instead it looks like we overpaid for mediocrity.

We rarely go after the truly big names and have to hit on the second tier guys. We have more misses than hits.

The most common thread over the past decade has been a horrendous offensive line. Why in the hell can other teams put a bunch of no-names together who perform well.

The Bills have had multiple combinations of o-lines made up of draftees, high priced free agents, and no-name free agents over the past ten years. They have done it under different gm's, several different o-line coaches and offensive coordinators. Why do they always suck????!!!!!

:wallbash:

You could argue the end of the Bills great teams of the late 80s and early 90s ended when Bill Polian left. Sure, Buffalo was good into 1999, making the playoffs in 93, 95, 96, 98, and 99. But those teams relied heavily onto the guys picked up during Polian's tenure. John Butler maintained the ship, but didn't add much and by 2000 and they went into cap jail for hanging onto Bruce, Andre, and a few others.

It's obvious that since 2001, this team has struggled mightily to find real front office types. Ralph is the common denominator in all of this, and when people mention him for the HOF, I only laugh. He is the first one we should blame for an inept franchise that by the end of this season will be grouped with the Lions in not making the playoffs.

The Bills must hire a real GM, who has a good track record in personnel. Atlanta hired Tom Dimitrioff away from NE, and they've got a blueprint that's looking very good through 9 weeks. Buffalo promotes business directors and guys that have been around during all the years they haven't made the playoffs. That's the difference between Buffalo and successful franchises.

I agree with this..you need people who come from winning organizations who know how to build a winning culture and not perpetuate a culture of losing and mediocrity. It a hard thing to do..anyone who has read Jim Collins "Good to Great" knows you need to get the "right people on the bus and the wrong people off the bus" and if you keep moving things around internally with people who have never had prolonged success at this level.

I happen to think Russ Brandon being a young guy with good ideas is perfect for the role he is in, but he needs to convince Mr. Wilson to let him hire a person who has complete and utter football authority from the top down and get someone who knows how to build a winning football operation. A Tom Dimitroff is a great example. You can get a guy who knows how to build a winning football program and instill the culture that it takes to win. He learned from Scott Pioli and understands what it takes. I know people in the Patriots organization and I can tell you with 100% certaintly that everyone in that building is going in the same direction. Mr. Pioli and Bill Belicheck set the tone, and Mr. Kraft sets up the infrastructure based on what those two think is the best way to run the organization. Together, they have installed a system there and had owner support that everyone in the organization needs to be on the same page from the football people to the caterers, to the equipment managers to the scouting department.

The problem right now is our organization is filled with people who don't know what it takes to win. What is their backgrounds? Losing organizations, or they've been with the Bills the last decade or so, so they don't know what it's like. They say they do, and they very much want to win, but they don't have the ingredients to get us over the hump. It takes leadership, making tough decisions, holding people accountable, and creating a culture that it's NOT ok to not perform your very best.

It doesn't matter what industry you are in...it applies...winning begats winning, success begats success, and in order to get that you need people with the strength and leadership to put the things in place to make that happen and I'm thinking there are some things going on at OBD that are preventing this from occurring.

What I see is a team that is moving forward, perhaps in the right direction, but it's going to take some hard choices and real leadership to get over to create a PERPETUAL successful organizaton that can handle winning and losing with the same discipline and put a system in place that is designed to breed success.

I hope it can happen, because I love my football team.