The exact moment when CNN jumped the shark

duey

Exactly my friend. About 15 years ago Dennis Miller was talking about "Virtual Reality" and said "The day that an unemployed auto-worker can sit in his barcalounger with a can of Fosters in one hand and a channel flicker in the other and F$%K Claudia Shiffer for $19.95, it's gonna make crack look like Sanka."

It's really just the next step towards becoming an Eloi.

Guy of Hops, I have to salute you for two things:

1) Nice Dennis Miller reference. I remember that one and wonder why it hasn't happened yet. :P

2) An even nicer H.G. Wells one. You've been reading your sci-fi recently. Great job! :oops:

I'm missing the point of the whole darn thing. If it took 30+ cameras and 20+ computers why bother. Did it enhance the message? Nope. Was it anything but gimmicky? Nope.

I could not agree more! Not only did it not add a damn thing, it was a silly distraction. I've got nothing against holograms, mind you ... but I just prefer them accompanied by Pink Floyd music, that's all ...

"The day that an unemployed auto-worker accountant can sit in his barcalounger with a can of Fosters in one hand and a channel flicker in the other and F$%K Claudia Shiffer for $19.95, it's gonna make crack look like Sanka."

**Quickly makes calculation of life savings / $19.95**

I agree with buftex. All of these "news" channels Jumped the Shark years ago when they began pandering to the LCD.

I could not agree more! Not only did it not add a damn thing, it was a silly distraction. I've got nothing against holograms, mind you ... but I just prefer them accompanied by Pink Floyd music, that's all ...

Did it make you watch their channel instead of someone elses? That's all they cared about.

Guy of Hops, I have to salute you for two things:

1) Nice Dennis Miller reference. I remember that one and wonder why it hasn't happened yet. :lol:

2) An even nicer H.G. Wells one. You've been reading your sci-fi recently. Great job! :oops:

(1) I was wondering too. Maybe the $ being spent on the war on drugs is a payoff to EA Sports, etc NOT to develop this technology?

(2) Strangely enough, I read that book when I was still living in Buffalo back in '96. I bought 4 little pocket books at Media Play (remember Media Play?) for $1 each:

A. The Time Machine, HG Wells

B. The Notorious Jumping Frog Of Calaveras County and Other Stories, Mark Twain

C. Umney's Last Case, Stephen King

D. Tao Te Chi: The Book of Meaning And Life, Lao Tzu

I still have them sitting on my bookshelf. TTM was the last fiction book I've read - seriously. I get my fiction from TV now. All of the books I read now are pretty much market related. The last one was a collection of essays by Michael Mauboussin called "More Than You Know".

The Eloi/Morlock thing is something that sticks with you forever. That was a fantastic book on many levels. :P

By the way...for future reference, "jump the shark" has jumped the shark. Or, more correctly, "jump the shark" has nuked the fridge, since "nuke the fridge" is the new "jump the shark".

Yes, seriously.

Threw the whale is the new term for really bad special effects.