Onside kick to start a game

bowery4

Good idea! I wish we could come up with some more things like it.

How about NOT using the wildcat though, Trent got labeled on that play or if we are going to use it, put JP out there (no hate on JP but he can run and throw is why I suggest it, plus it would take away the injury threat to our starter). They know something is up when you line up shotgun to the RB anyway.

I also wish they would have faked the last FG, why not? who is going to expect 2 fakes in one game?

And really the first one (except for the penalty) worked.

I really like our team and think they are good but we are having some problems and we really need to improve on things.

I do like a 3 back T-formation sweep with a TE out wide and Evans on the other side (would be a surprise early in a game and help establish the run in the winter).

I really think we need some different looks to get the ball moving in the run game. Just running up the middle (between the tackles) is not our strength and is not cutting it.

Outside running early would be good if nothing else to loosen up the middle.

Or anything with 2 TEs and 2 running backs (in a hurry up, sound familar?)

Actually I would love to hear other suggestions from you all about what the Bills and their coaches can do to work out the kinks that we are experiencing in our 1-3 (W/L) last four games.

Teams esply our division rivals have the book on this team or so it would seem. Let's re-write it some.

15 suggestions/ideas from me that you can expand or not, remember their just some ideas I am throwing out their.

Also, I don't want us to turn into the "gimmick team" I just would like to see a bit more creativity.

1. for me anyway, I would like to see us pick up KBG from GB

2. using Fine more maybe even lined up outside Freddie too (outside as a wide out)

3. give Steve Jackson a shot instead of Hardy (he was better in preseason, maybe he is more developed right NOW, I am not suggesting we give up on James, just give a competitor a shot).

4. run the fullback? use him more. (I have no idea if he is any good honestly, maybe that is why we are not using him)

5. reshuffle the O-line? (it worked when Jason was out) how about he becomes the new right guard?

6. I said it above use 2 TEs?

7. find someway to help the LBs, they are depleted and it shows w/ Whitner out I am worried about a few aspects of the

middle of our D.

8. have our corners play man and tight more often, maybe even all of the time.

9. more runs and screens outside the tackles (actually goes with #6).

10. get McKelvin off the returns (we have one of the very best who ever did it, I understand the change but it is NOT

working even if he does have a nice average).

11. spread formation to set up a run or playaction, or very spread formation a little bit like that HS team does. We have a

lot of receivers who are decent with space.

12. more draws and screens (the o-line is used to letting go early :thumbsup: and we force them to respect something) sure

sometimes they won't work.

13. two burners on returns, MeGee and McKelvin?

14. Greer on a return (he looks sick on pick sixes)

15. never give up the 1:21 seconds before the half again!!!!!

One last thing I didn't have too many for the D because except for the last drive and some laspes last week they have been good if you see some great way to help add it.

add something or crit. then let's send it to Chris Brown to show the coaches.

It's a risky play and it all depends on surprise. In the end, it didn't hurt the Steelers, but doing it on the road where you can give your opponent an easy 3 points is pretty ballsy.

Suffice it to say that I don't think Bobby April should try that if the Bills win the toss on Sunday.

It's a risky play and it all depends on surprise. In the end, it didn't hurt the Steelers, but doing it on the road where you can give your opponent an easy 3 points is pretty ballsy.

Suffice it to say that I don't think Bobby April should try that if the Bills win the toss on Sunday.

Team trusts it's defense, eh? And the Steelers D proved to be more than up to the task.

I agree that it does take a strong D to make it a viable option but I guess I just thought it was creative.

I thought after watching games 1-3, a little less 4 and then 5 that we were going to be a bit less vanilla this year.

The last game I liked the fake punt call and it worked.

Anywho..........

~honest

Just a thought On the onside kick to open a game. Listening to Sirius yesterday, and Kirwin did a ton of research on this topic. He said that for the last several years(cannot remember how many), onsides kick to start the game are successful leass than 20% of the time.

However, to start the 3rd qtr, they were successful 68% of the time. Noww thats a great percentage play!!!

His reasoning was lot of time before a game, and ST coached go over everything with the guys they know will be on the opening kickoff teams( no injuries at that point) and can go over ALL scenerios. Contrast that with halftime, and offensive and defensive adjustments being made, injuries have happened both to guys on teams and to starters where now the te guys on teams are more worried bout playing offence or defence than teams.Confusion can be just enough where a guy forgets his keys and thats why the percentage is so much higher to start 3rd qtr.

Also right now there is no confidence in our D that it will stop the offense even if we are unsuccessful with the onside kick....

The steelers have the #1 D in the league and Tomlin has enough confidence in his defense to hold Washington to 3 or less points and hence he can go for the onside kick.

Thanks, I work with out a contract too :blink:

I was happy some one pointed out the stats about doing it in the 3rd. Maybe we should stop deferring and do it then. I wasn't aware of the stats about the failure of it actually.

I think some of these ideas I threw out there might be worthwhile and I think our division knows us well enough to try something different.

I dislike mistakes as much as anyone but perdictablity leads to mistakes by them knowing what scheme to use too.

I mean even the fake punt is getting old, we need a change up.

I keep seeing other fans putting my same silly suggestions, a week later why don't you all add to this thread and we can send it to Chris, in fact I am one of Donte's friends on facebook too :lol:

You know, after Rossum returned to opening kick for a TD last night I was half expecting them to go for an onside kick. That would have knocked the sails out of Az's wind for sure.

Good idea! I wish we could come up with some more things like it.

And if we recover the onside kick, then what? The Bills' primary problem (a completely useless offensive line) cannot be fixed by gimmicks, trickery or new schemes.